Help me price this! Please!!

QTsmum

I'm wanting to offer a soy line alongside my paraffin clamshells. I had a lot of requests at my last show. I wanted something different though so I went with scoopable soy.

Cost is between $3.20-$3.50 per unit.

post-14669-139458513087_thumb.jpg

I was thinking $8 each or 2 for $15 but now I'm second guessing myself thinking I should go $10. If I ever wholesaled, I wouldn't want to have my own prices too low. It's min 4oz of wax in an 8 oz jar.

And what do you think of it?

QTsmum,

$8 would be the minimum I would charge, based on your cost. I believe most people would recommend 2.5 - 3 times your cost.

Now for the critique... This is ONLY my opinion. Besides it being sideways :), I think you need to do something about your label. I would cut it down in height since it is hitting the curvature of the jar at the top and bottom of the label. It looks to be bunching up, and not giving a professional look, at least to me.

That may require you to either buy smaller labels or to have to cut each set manually after they are printed. I'm guessing those are 2" x 4" labels. I would try perhaps 1 1/2" x 4" (Avery 5197) or something similar.

This is a cross reference chart from a place called Sheet-Labels.com http://www.sheet-labels.com/labels/avery_cross_reference_list They have their own labels, but it is nice that they also list the Avery Label Numbers. Maybe you can look up something on there that would get you a better fit.

Hope that helps.

Personally, I would retail the candle for $10 to 11.00 each. Taking your cost of $3.50 x 3 = $10.50. I also agree about your label. My personal preference but on these types of jars, I use a clear gloss label, 1.33 x 4" rectangle label. I'm assuming your cost estimate includes wax cost, jar, label, and ribbon.

I agree with the 10-11 per jar. Here is the issue I would have as a buyer, Would I spend $10 on approx 4 oz of wax or buy soy clamshells instead? The marketplace is flooded with clamshells in soy wax so I like the idea that you tried to be different but I'm not sure I'd spend the extra just to have different (and messier imo). I sell my soy clamshells for $3.50 ea or 4/ $11 and you get almost 3 oz of soy wax in each clam. I do shapes periodically and when I bag them they sell, when I put them in a jar and have to add the cost of the jar it's a hard sell for me unless it's a Holiday where they purchase as a gift.

I agree. I'm not really trying to get into soy very much. I'm really happy with my paraffin clamshells but just have had demand for soy. I figure this is nicely giftable. (That's my main thought with this one, was presentation!) I had the jars on hand, so figured I'd give it a go. If they don't work out, I won't cry! I don't have a much soy left, so I'll see how this show goes (in Oct) before i make any serious game plan! :P

I don't think there are any other wax melt makers here...Scentsy being my only competition. I thought at least this is REALLY different from what will be on their tables, kwim?! I'll see how it goes!

I should mention I do have 2 oz portion cups with the soy flakes as well.

I've only done up a dozen of these jars to see how they do!

As for the label, it is driving me INSANE! There are no cheap label options for me (Canada), though I would LOOOOVE to use the clear ovals. If these sell well, I'll look into them. I'm also getting frustrated trying to label my 2 oz portion cups. :S

Edited by QTsmum