Ng

gar1

I've seen a few ppl recently in discussions mention how NG's fragrance oils are really weak..I have a good handful of their oils myself & dont find them to be that bad. Granted some are lighter than others which is normal..what do you all think about their oils? weak, average, really good, or what?

I only make soap and have tested a lot of their oils and have found NG to be hit or miss for the most part. Some fo's have been really good in cured soap and then others have tested to be very weak. It's like this most suppliers for me, but continue to order my must-haves from them. They have great prices and customer service, and speedy shipping and love the selection!

I also read that so was slow to order from them as a result. VERY unexpectedly, they have now turned out to be the place I get more of my FO's than any place else. You do not know me nor know how picky I am but I require a strong FO or I ditch it.

Out of the 40 FO's I have in my lineup 14 are from NG followed by 10 from Peak.

I only make wax melts and use paraffin I blend myself. Do not know if that has any bearing but wanted to mention it.

I have a couple from there that I use, but find the majority of the FO's aren't strong enough for my candles and I use a parasoy blend. I found that most of their FO's you needed a full 1.5 oz./lb to get a semi-decent throw and in my business, that is a fail for the FO. I refuse to use more than 1 oz./lb and most of my FO's I can get away with even less than that.

Making tarts is MUCH different than making candles and you really can't compare how a FO will work in candles with a wick, compared to a tart with no wick! :cool2:

Making tarts is MUCH different than making candles and you really can't compare how a FO will work in candles with a wick, compared to a tart with no wick! :cool2:

Oh, I should have worded my answer more clearly. I certainly did not intend to imply that her format would have no bearing. Rather, what I meant is that not knowing her format (could be soap, candles, melts or maybe she makes it all!) my answer may not be pertinent.

I love NG, there are some oils there I couldn't live without. Their customer service has always been awesome for me as well, and turn around time the same awesomeness. I don't know any supplier that has oils that work with every system, the great thing about NG is they have around 800? oils to choose from. Their review area is very helpful.

I stayed away from them for a long time too, because I was reading those negative reviews. I ended up trying a few and I loooooove their "Cracklin' Birch" and "Fountain of Youth". Those two have been plenty strong in paraffin votives and containers. I know I have other favorites from there but it's been awhile since I made up anything with their other scents that I'm not remembering them right now.

I do think they are more "perfumey" in general than some other sources. That can come across as a "clean" note if you really like the scent of cleaning chemicals, or it can be "yuck" if it hits you wrong. Actually I have not tried a lot of their scents that are meant to be purely foody so those might not be as strongly perfumey, but their florals, outdoorsy ("Cracklin' Birch"), and citrus-not-meant-as-edible ("Fountain of Youth") have that note. My neat freak sis-in-law gets tons of "Cracklin' Birch" container candles from me.

I am very fortunate to live about a half hour drive from the company so I can greatly save on shipping. The large building is out-of-place being in a rural location surrounded by cows and cornfields but it's a relaxing drive and well worth the trip. The people who work there are outstanding; very courteous, helpful and delightful to talk to. Their showroom is colorfully decorated, spotlessly clean and has a comfortable area to sit and 'nose-sample' all the hundreds of fragrances. They allow you to take all the time you need - no sales pressure - and when you decide what you want they quickly go and obtain the fragrances. I mention these observations because this demonstrates how proud they are of their company. Most of their business is via mail-order so you don't realize what the 'physical' company is like. Yes, their fragrances (as well as all other companies) are 'hit or miss' in how they behave in soap and candles but that's part of the fun in testing. I use several of their fragrances and am completely satisfied how they remain strong in my soap products. If you have never ordered from this company you really should. (PS: I sound like a 'paid spokesman' but I am not - just a happy, long time customer!)

I do not make candles, so I cannot give an opinion from that perspective. However, as a soaper, I can tell you that quite a few of their fragrance oils are weak. I have never found weak fragrances from some other companies that I use- including Peaks. That said, there are quite a few strong fragrances from NG that I just love and order regularly. They also ship promptly and have very good customer service.

I was just thinking that I have been SUPER remiss in offering reviews of FO's on supplier's sites. YET, I always read reviews on sites that have them. One of my winter weekend tasks is going to be going out to my top suppliers sites and enter reviews. I KNOW how subjective all of this can be (my wax, my system are enough to get different results than many others, for instance) but still I know how much I appreciate the reviews so I need to be better about entering some myself!

I get several of my oils from there - Butt Naked, hillbilly homebrew, Christmas splendor, Sweet Orange & chili pepper, pink sugar, sage & citrus and they are all wonderful fragrances with great throw in my wax. I love their prices, just wish I could get their products in much sooner - it takes me up to a week to get their orders in, but I am in Texas. I can order from BCN or Rustic Escentuals and I get them much sooner than from NG, so I always try to order when I am on my last bottle before I run out.