Lip Balm Questions

kforbs126

So I think after the fall period I want to try my hand at making lip balm. A few questions I have that I couldn't find answers to:

-Is it better to make your own base or buy a pre-made base?

-Are the tubes or tubs better?

-I know there are a ton of suppliers just like candle supplies, is there any one that stands out for products or even one that is great with both candle and bath and body?

Thanks,

Kristin

I would recommend making your own and I prefer tubes as well.

Check out Elements Bath and Body. They have butters and oils that are great for lip balm. And, they have a nice selection of tubes. They don't really have a lot of candle supplies, but do have some wonderful FO.

Another supplier is Natures Garden. They have a great selection of both candle and B&B products. Unfortunately, just one lip balm tube style that I know of.

Aroma Haven/Rustic Essentials. Has a good selection of candle supplies and a fair amount of B&B. They carry a couple of butters, some carrier oils and lip balm tubes. They also have some nice tutorials.

Majestic Mountain Sage (MMS) is another great supplier of B&B products. They are in Utah and closer to you. There is also Brambleberry out of Washington. They have some candle supplies but focuses more on B&B and Soap products like MMS.

All of these suppliers have quality products and excellent customer service, at least in my experience.

Thanks for all the information. I think at first I'm going to try a pre-made base and see if I like doing it then go from there.

Also I see a lot of threads that says to add sugar or not too. If you add sugar people lick their lips and dry them out? I just want to make sure I get all the ingredients so I can do it properly.

I did a lot of research and just made my own. I didn't want to have to mess with a base and then have to test all over again.

I don't add a sweetener to mine. I know plenty that do though. I don't think it's needed.

Edited by SuzyK

I did a lot of research and just made my own. I didn't want to have to mess with a base and then have to test all over again.

I don't add a sweetener to mine. I know plenty that do though. I don't think it's needed.

I am the proud owner of a few of Suzy's lip balms and they are AWESOME! They are sweet to me and the shape of the tube is wonderful. Also, they are somehow soft and creamy without being all melty in the heat.

I guess you're right I didn't think about that and having to test all over again. I need to research and find out how to make a base.

MMS has a good starting recipe for a lip balm and is easy to customize. I do use a sweetener, a little liquid stevia.

https://www.thesage.com/recipes/recipes.php?.State=Display&id=19

You don't have to make large batches to test, I think I started with about an ounce. I also just used some small containers I had on hand until I found a recipe I really liked. Then started to put into tubes.

You are going to love it!!

Edited by ProudMarineMom

I am the proud owner of a few of Suzy's lip balms and they are AWESOME! They are sweet to me and the shape of the tube is wonderful. Also, they are somehow soft and creamy without being all melty in the heat.

awwww Karen. Thanks so much for your kind words! yay!

• 3 weeks later...
I used pots, but I just poured from a Pyrex measuring cup with a spout. Have you tried that? I didn't like droppers, the balm got too cold, it seemed.

Next time I'm just going to use the pyrex and pour. The droppers was a huge waste of time and hardened almost immediately.

I use the droppers/pipettes. I use the double boiler method making lip balms and just keep it over low heat so it always stays warm. I think I would make a huge mess any other way. lol. But obviously what works for one person doesn't always work for others.

I have made my own lip balm base, but found that Nature's Garden has an all natural base with the same ingredients that my recipe has. I have used the little pots for lip balm and for solid perfume, but this Fall season I'll be using the natural lip balm tubes with natural caps from WSP.

I have been thinking about making lip balm as well (only for myself). Is it simple enough to make it tinted? I buy tinted lip balm/gloss all the time and I go through it like crazy. I dont wear lipstick but I love me some balm. I will do a search on the board in a bit for more info but if anyone has any quick info on adding tint, that would be great.

Do you mean tinted so it shows up on your lips? I've made a few but haven't perfected it yet. It takes a lot of mica to make it show up. I gave up trying to figure it out but will try again someday. I had one color turn out how I wanted it to.

Do you mean do I want the color to show up on my lips like a stain? I wouldnt mind if the color stained my lips a little but it isnt necessary. The lip glosses/balms that I use regularly do not stain my lips in any way but they shows up as a nice sheer color with a sheen. I want it a little glossier than a chapstick but not gloppy or sticky like a lip gloss in a tube with a wand. Since this will just be for me, I wouldnt even mind using a base and then adding a bit of lipstick to get the right color.

Edited by megandgarr