Flea Market Sales

PAgirl89

I've noticed this season the craft/vendor shows haven't been all that fruitful compared to last season. Last weekend I set up at a local festival which included a flea market, and I was mixed in with other vendors who were selling vintage, collectibles, and other merchandise. After the show, I totaled up my sales for 6 hours I was sitting there and realized I sold more items that day than I did at the last 5 craft/vendor shows I've done. And the cost of the space was a lot less ($8 for 10x25 space with 2 tables) than what I would pay for a craft/vendor show. I was also asked by many customers if I am set up weekly at the flea market that is held there on Saturdays. Which got me thinking, I have to go where the $$$ is and if it's not at the vendor shows, then maybe flea market/farmer's market type environments are the ticket.

For those who sell at flea market/farmer's market type settings, do you have good sales?

I'm really getting tired of spending $20-$30 for a table at a vendor show and not making more than that in profit. I should add that I was selling Goat's Milk MP soaps that day at the flea market and not candles. This show season I went with MP soaps and bath/body items instead of candles.

TIA

Edited by PAgirl89

Sales are rough everywhere. I've been selling at farmer's markets for the past 6 years and this year has been the worst. In my area selling handcrafted items at a flea market just doesn't work. However, combo craft & flea markets fair much better and I have done well at these type venues.

I still stick with my farmer's market as thats where many of my wholesale accounts started from and thats where the shop owners come to pick up their orders. So while regular sales are slow I have picked up more repeat customers and wholesale accts so it works out the same.

With farmers markets you have to work hard to build up your customer base but in my case it paid off.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Candybee.

This is the first season that I have booked almost every weekend with a craft/vendor show and have not seen much in sales. Last year was much better, but last year I was doing more CRAFT shows. This year it seems the CRAFT shows are few and far between. These VENDOR shows have taken over. This season has just wore me out and spending on average of $25 a weekend and sales not being more than $40 per show, it's ridiculous.

I think next year, I'm going to try this Saturday flea market idea and see what comes of it. I cannot complain of connecting with people at the shows I've done. I've made many contacts for new accounts and such, but immediate sales really have been lousy.

You probably did the early spring craft shows that run anywhere from March thru May. There are a few Summer craft shows but not as many as spring or fall. The spring shows around here are typically miserable as sales are really low.

But cheer up-- the fall and holiday shows start in Sept/Oct and run thru Dec. These are my bread and butter shows and attendance and sales are much better than farmers markets or spring craft shows. Lots of people just prefer to stay near home or don't have vacation money so they go to fall craft shows.

Although if the sales are slower this fall/holiday season than last years this is gonna be the suckiest sales year yet!

Do you just sell candles? Most of my sales come from soap and the candle sales pick up Sep through Dec. This year I decided to only make candles for the fall/holiday season only. So no spring candles at all this year.

I sell soap year round thou.

When I started doing the craft shows, I started with selling candles and tarts. The sales were okay with the tarts, but the candles weren't selling. If it weren't for a local general store that stocks my candles, I wouldn't sell candles. I do pretty good at the store with the smaller size candles, wax brittle, and pillars. After that first season of craft shows with candles, I switched to selling soap and have done so much better. I sometimes alternate between soap and candles, but if I take candles, then customers are looking for soap, and I've noticed more demand for the soap, so this season I've stuck to strictly soap & bath/body.

With most of the shows I have done are vendor shows and not so much craft shows, there is way too much competition with the candles. One show I did had 5 different companies selling candles & wax products and none of them were handmade, it was all the direct sale type product.

I'm hoping the Fall season will be the turn around.

We don't do shows from Jan - August.. with the exception of 2 large festivals that make booocooo bucks. Spring shows have always been the pits for us... slow sales. Lots of people out kicking tires but they are usually just looking for somethin to do.

About 8 years ago,,, we tried some flea markets and farmers markets. Went to them for a couple of years but got tired of the constant "bartering" for your goods. Just wasn't our thing....I don't negotiate on pricing. And I got tired of trying to keep the integrity of my product looking great through heat, rain, blowing dust at outdoor shows.

Other than selling at our own store (our inventory is almost 100% entirely hand crafted Minnesota artisans) we market strictly at hand crafted juried shows and boutiques cause that's were the money is. Took a while to weed those shows that said they were handcrafted but sold "junk" and tons of commercial stuff. Heck you can buy commercial anywhere, nothing special about it. We now have a set schedule of 13 weekends jam packed with good buying shows from Sept - mid Dec. We are also part of a group that does many major fundraisers (hand crafted) throughout the year, so that keeps our sales strong all year around.

I'm sure things will pick up got ya with holiday season just ahead. We've already got shoppers in the store picking up Christmas gifts.

Edited by SherriLynn

I totally agree with Sherri. That's why I had said before we don't do Flea Markets, because that's exactly what they are. At least around here, and PA Girl you are local to me so you know. there are quite a few we have tried to sell at just for people to say "well, will you take X amount for this instead?" Sorry no its not junk, it's not a used item. I got tired of it. Willow Glenn Flea market in Sinking Spring and the big one they hold at Governor Mifflin Middle School in Shillington every month is notorious for this kind of thing. If where ever you are selling is working for you though stick with it. It depends alot on the crowd they draw too :/

The economy does seem like its getting better so hang in there!

I totally agree with Sherri. That's why I had said before we don't do Flea Markets, because that's exactly what they are. At least around here, and PA Girl you are local to me so you know. there are quite a few we have tried to sell at just for people to say "well, will you take X amount for this instead?" Sorry no its not junk, it's not a used item. I got tired of it. Willow Glenn Flea market in Sinking Spring and the big one they hold at Governor Mifflin Middle School in Shillington every month is notorious for this kind of thing. If where ever you are selling is working for you though stick with it. It depends alot on the crowd they draw too :/

The economy does seem like its getting better so hang in there!

I know there are a lot of people who attend the flea market who want something for nothing. They like to barter and negotiate price, which is why I wanted to stay away from doing them. Craft shows bring a different kind of crowd. People who are willing to pay for handmade quality compared to flea market bargain shoppers.

My one reason for trying this local flea market was because I had inquiries from customers who bought soap from me at this festival then asked if I was at the market every weekend. I had told them no, it was my first time setting up at the market. I was hoping if I set up maybe 1 Saturday a month, I would build some sort of customer base. Honestly, I would love to get a booth inside the farmer's market on a permanent basis, but am having issue with the lady in charge, who also sells soaps, candles, and prim inside the building. If I want to sell there, I will have to be sneaky and sell outside the farmer's market in the flea market area. I thought I'd have a foot in the door because my father has a permanent display inside the building for the last 30 years, but no such luck. So, I gotta sneak in the back door and sell outside the building.

HayCreekCandles, were you the one who also tried to get into this particular farmer's market with no luck because of the lady in charge not wanting the competition with her prim business? I know it was someone at this forum who had issue with this same market.

Instead of the flea markets, try the local area farmers markets. Many of them are now combo producers and craftsman. So you have farm produce: fresh fruits and veggies, local florists and plants, crafts from soap and candles to quilts, birdhouses, handmade furniture, local meats, milk, cheese, spices, honey, baked goods, fast foods, hot foods and drinks, etc. Nowadays you can find just about anything being sold at a farmers market but the crafts are almost exclusively handmade. They even have local entertainment, bands play, kids games, etc.

Check out your local chamber of commerce, the local newspapers, local tourism bureau for the farmers markets or google PA farmers markets.

Flea markets pretty much sell old trash, junk, used stuff, on the cheap. Its a totally different venue. People want to buy something for a buck or less or find that one treasure to restore, refurbish or resell, but always cheap, cheap, cheap.

At a farmer's market people expect to pay prices for good quality produce and crafts.

Something to think about.

Edited by Candybee

HayCreekCandles, were you the one who also tried to get into this particular farmer's market with no luck because of the lady in charge not wanting the competition with her prim business? I know it was someone at this forum who had issue with this same market.

YES!!!! Renningers on Noble Street in Kutztown? Is that where you are referring to because that's where I tried getting into. I literally work across the street 100 yards down from there. Oh that's crazy! Did you talk to someone in there? Did you get the same lame schpeel I did?? If you get a chance check out her shop - it's amazing I will give her that. but it takes up a large portion of an entire wing!

YES!!!! Renningers on Noble Street in Kutztown? Is that where you are referring to because that's where I tried getting into. I literally work across the street 100 yards down from there. Oh that's crazy! Did you talk to someone in there? Did you get the same lame schpeel I did?? If you get a chance check out her shop - it's amazing I will give her that. but it takes up a large portion of an entire wing!

Yep that's the one! My dad got talking to her at the market while he was sitting at our display and mentioned to her that I made candles and soaps. He mentioned to her that I was going to be setting up a display at Red Barn in Blandon and she said she would stop out at the Barn and check it out. I sent along one of my brochures and a card with my dad and he gave it to her the next time he had seen her at the market. I called her the following week after I set up my booth at Red Barn. We talked a bit about my candles and soaps and I said I'd be interested in setting up a booth at the market, either in the consignment area or in the main part of the market. She gave me some schpeel about the consignment area was just for vintage merchandise and antiques, and that there wasn't a space available in the market for my kind of product.

So when I set up a booth at the corn festival in August and got such a nice response from people who were there, and had inquiries about me setting up a booth on Saturdays, I thought I'd give it a try and see how I do. But I would love to get inside the market with a permanent booth.

Oh I know! When I had stopped there was 1 booth empty it was in a completely different section, perfect size and was only 180 a month or something. they gave me an application and everything. I was a cross between upset and angry when I got the same response. I was thinking how on earth can they get away with that? Isn't that like discrimination or something? lol

Oh I know! When I had stopped there was 1 booth empty it was in a completely different section, perfect size and was only 180 a month or something. they gave me an application and everything. I was a cross between upset and angry when I got the same response. I was thinking how on earth can they get away with that? Isn't that like discrimination or something? lol

LOL! Yeah it's not right that she dictates no competition for her products. She has her own shop in town to make $$ from. You should stop down at the market on Saturday and see me. I'm going to call on Friday to reserve a a pavilion space. It opens at 8am.

This Saturday? I would but we have a show in St. Lawrence from 11 to 5 :( If all goes well maybe you can do next w/e too there (Renningers) and I will stop down then! It would be nice to put a face w/the name! lol

Oh that's right, I saw your post on Facebook (I follow you) that you had a show this weekend. I won't be back to Renninger's until Oct. 5th. I will also be at Leesport's craft show on Oct 12 & 13 (weather permitting). I'll be set up on the hill at Leesport. I am booked every Sat. through November. I would like to do the show at Red Barn in Blandon. I think Liz said she was going to try to make it on Oct. 19.

Oh I thought you were already in at the Red Barn?? Like as a permanent vendor. Well Good luck this weekend if I don't talk to you! Msg me on FB and let me know how it went. Saturday is supposed to be beautiful weather!

Yep I have a permanent booth in the Barn. Vendors at the Barn get a free space at any of their events. I have candles inside the Barn, so I was going to take my soaps to their craft show in October.