Wholesale Pricing vs Your Retail - Fussy Retailers

Michdj

Hi all,

I'm working with two new wholesale accounts who are getting fussy because I'm using the x2 x3 model for pricing and they want me to give them the product at half of my retail cost, which cuts me REALLY slim on margins. They want to take my costx2 pricing and double it, which of course is higher than MY retail pricing, which is costx3. Do you ever have fussy retailers like this? What do you do?

Thanks!

I have never had, nor would tolerate a retailer knowing my costs at all and telling me how I should be selling. How do they even know what price model you are using? This is not their business. Be firm on your price and that is it. You do not need to explain anything. So in answer to your question about fussy retailers, I would move along to clients who are willing to pay my price.

Edited by Noodle

Exactly what they said. No no one but me knows how much it costs me to make my products or my profit margin. Like what was already said, I give them the wholesale price, and they can price it however they please. They don't tell me how to run my own business. That's a little ridiculous. I'm surprised someone would even ask that information.

Well, my problem is my web site. One lady saw I was charging less on my melts than her markup and was pretty upset. She wants the repeat business and wants me to charge what she's charging. I never tell anyone my costs (except you guys).

I have run into that one - I simply told them that they must keep in mind if the customer bought from my website they would also have to pay shipping - which would make it more expensive than buying from them - therefore they will get the repeat business.

I do too. Mostly my website customers are locals and in my small town (with a walmart right down the road from my shop) I can't get double my wholesale. These fancy stores that I sell to can easily get that plus they add 10% so I just do my thing in my small town and they do what they can get. I have had very few customers from the towns that my wholesale accounts are in order off my website because it's cheaper. By the time shipping is added it evens out pretty much. You have to price competitively with all the online businesses all over the internet. Everyone knows when you walk into these cute brick and mortar stores you are going to have to pay more because of atmosphere, location, etc.

Edited by Dana

I have never had, nor would tolerate a retailer knowing my costs at all and telling me how I should be selling. How do they even know what price model you are using? This is not their business. Be firm on your price and that is it. You do not need to explain anything. So in answer to your question about fussy retailers, I would move along to clients who are willing to pay my price.

Exactly!

Well, my problem is my web site. One lady saw I was charging less on my melts than her markup and was pretty upset. She wants the repeat business and wants me to charge what she's charging. I never tell anyone my costs (except you guys).

Seriously, what you're charging is none of her business and what she's charging is none of your business.

I've had wholesale customers ask me what they should charge. I tell them the sky is the limit, whatever their market will bear, and I couldn't care less. Once they buy it, it's theirs.

Seriously, what you're charging is none of her business and what she's charging is none of your business.

I've had wholesale customers ask me what they should charge. I tell them the sky is the limit, whatever their market will bear, and I couldn't care less. Once they buy it, it's theirs.

I agree. I just don't want to be hamstrung on pricing by my retailers. Grr... Thanks everyone for the advice!