Soy wax floating candle

Hi all, I just joined the forum and this is my first post. Love this page so much that I open it twice or thrice a day and collect as much information as possible. Thanks to all you wonderful people to share your knowledge.

I need help with the problem I am facing. I used ecosoya pb wax and cotton core wick from peak to make a floating candle. It extinguishes after an hour or so as water gets into the candle :sad2:. What must be going wrong?

Thanks!!!

Amy.

Hi Amy and welcome to the forum.

I used to make floating candles but gave up as I could never get a floater to work longer than 2-2 1/2 hours. Most of the time they burned an average of 1 1/2 hours so 2 hrs or longer felt like a real accomplishment to me.

Here's what I learned thou to get from 1 hr to 2 hrs or longer.

Pay attention to the length of the wick neck. Buy the shortest length neck or have them custom made. The average length is 6mm. Look for the shorter 3.8mm neck such as at Wicks Unlimited http://wicksunlimited.com/wick_clips.php

Next, what mold are you using? I used the standard fluted tart mold. It looks like it hold one oz of wax but it actually holds less. Shop around and find the larger tart mold. There are larger fluted molds than the standard 1 ozer. Also, there are larger round molds that hold several oz of wax for making large floating candles.

Also, are you dead set on using soy? I found a paraffin pillar/tart blend the best for floaters. Also, the coolest burning wick is a zinc. You can find them in sizes for tea lights or votives depending on the size of your floating candle. Just make sure if you buy a premade wick assembly that the wick neck is the shorter 3.8mm. HTH

Gotta make sure the wick does not touch the water below the candle. It will soak up the water and extinguish.

Floaters take more testing than just wicking. They need a base in the water, a funnel type shape. You might want to weight it with a metal wick holder, small in height as candybee says. Think about how a boat is designed, the lower part under the water gets narrow. The part of a boat around the water line is pretty wide and gets wider above.

Not all floater molds are designed well. Imagine a funnel that you use in the kitchen. Wide on the top, dramatically narrow on the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...