Business name

kforbs126

So I don't want to use the business name I previously used a few years back. I want something tied to my hometown of Northeast Ohio even though I live in San Diego(I'm moving back to Ohio in 18 months). I will only be doing tarts.

I thought of the name Rust Belt Melts. I guess it rhymes and the area I'm from is nicknamed the rust belt. I googled and haven't found any companies with that name. I don't know if it's stupid or offensive. I just need some opinions or suggestions.

TIA,

Kristin

Are you wanting something tied to your hometown or to the area you grew up in?

I've said Rust Belt Melts about 20 times and it doesn't seem to just roll off the tongue. Don't take my opinion to heart though as I'm really picky when it comes to business names. I've been stewing the past two weeks trying to come up with a new brand/trade name for my business. I feel for you as it isn't an easy task.

Good luck and I'm sure whatever you decide on will be great!

Are you wanting something tied to your hometown or to the area you grew up in?

I've said Rust Belt Melts about 20 times and it doesn't seem to just roll off the tongue. Don't take my opinion to heart though as I'm really picky when it comes to business names. I've been stewing the past two weeks trying to come up with a new brand/trade name for my business. I feel for you as it isn't an easy task.

Good luck and I'm sure whatever you decide on will be great!

Either my hometown which is Youngstown or the area. I'm not tied to rust belt melts it's just something that popped in my head. Ugh it's so hard.

I kinda like Rust Belt Melts. It's different, begs attention, and will be a conversation starter which will lead to telling customers how and why your product is superior to any others. Any time you can get someone's attention and start a conversation, you're halfway to a sale.

My first reaction to the name wasn't really positive. On the other hand, I've had no trouble remembering it. I think with the right graphics and logo you could have a winner. :)

This is one of my issues. If the name sounds derogatory to the rust belt area.

Oh no, not derogatory at all, imho. Just the word "rusty" left me picturing something less than ideal... it's just the way it hit me at first. But where you're trying to appeal to your local customers, they probably won't even think of it the way I did. But I'm still remembering the name, which is half the battle, so I'd work on some ideas for graphics before letting it go. Good luck to you! :)

Oh no, not derogatory at all, imho. Just the word "rusty" left me picturing something less than ideal... it's just the way it hit me at first. But where you're trying to appeal to your local customers, they probably won't even think of it the way I did. But I'm still remembering the name, which is half the battle, so I'd work on some ideas for graphics before letting it go. Good luck to you! :)

Thank You very much. I'm trying to figure out a logo. I'm creative with crafts not logos haha.

The name is very catchy and unique! I like it. I agree with another poster that it lends itself to primitive-styled design. For the logo, I'd recomend choosing warm colors, red, orange, brown, maroon, burgandy, etc. If you were to play up the primitive aspect you'll be more likely to find inspiration for the design. For your site, think about textures in particular. They would add alot of visual interest. Have fun! If you need help with the design shoot me a PM.

Edited by rctfavr3

Love this one, it'll cover a lot of products if you decide to add them.

So after sitting on this for a week, I did come up with another possible name. Steel Valley Scents. Steel Valley is a homage to the area I'm from. So it's either rust belt melts or steel valley scents. I appreciate everyone's opinion.

This is an excellent point and since I just make melts, one that I had not considered. If you plan to have candles, B&B, etc. leaving melts out of the name would be wise planning.

I plan just doing melts for now. I have a few different ways I'm going to sell them. I did candles in the past but I don't think I'll do them again. Who knows though I may someday try B&B, for some reason B&B scares me.

Edited by kforbs126

This is an excellent point and since I just make melts, one that I had not considered. If you plan to have candles, B&B, etc. leaving melts out of the name would be wise planning.

That's true. While I'm still partial to Rust Belt Melts, many is the crafter who has expanded and wished they had chosen a name that didn't identify just one product.