Beginner questions

I'm very new to wax making and figured I'd start with tarts. I apologize in advance if these questions are extremely novice but Im really unsure. I want to try blending two waxes. My first question would be, if one wax you have holds say 9% FO and the other wax your blending with only holds 6%, how do you know how much FO per pp to go with? Do you just go with the 9%?

Second question I have is something similar to above but it's in reference to melting, if one of your wax say to melt at 185 and the other says 130, which do you go with? Or do you melt each wax separately and combine?

Last question, how do the presto pots work with the spout?

Thank you in advance and again sorry for the questions.

It's not a big deal. You might get more response and then again maybe not. Summertime is pretty light for discussions. The melting point of a wax is simply information to let you know at what temp the wax will liquify. Low temp melt points usually mean soft wax and higher melt points are usually harder. You want your tart to melt at the temperature of an average melter (electric or tea light) so if its too hard, the wax won't melt and if it's too soft it won't hold up on a hot summer day. Blending wax with different melting points and fragrance loads changes the original purpose of the wax. My advice would be to go with a wax and learn all about it before you start blending. It takes a bit of testing and time to learn about a particular wax. Go to the fragrance section and click on suppliers and read through their products and the prices and then pick one and begin testing. You want a tart that will fragrance for a good deal of time and one that melts completely within a reasonable time. That sounds simple but believe me, its not. HTH

Steve

Thanks Steve. I've picked a few waxes to work with and once comfortable with one and know the ins and outs with it maybe then I'll mess around with blending. Right now it's all a learning experience and a costly one at that but instead of spending money with other vendors I'm just putting it all into my new found hobby. Thanks again!!

It's not a big deal. You might get more response and then again maybe not. Summertime is pretty light for discussions. The melting point of a wax is simply information to let you know at what temp the wax will liquify. Low temp melt points usually mean soft wax and higher melt points are usually harder. You want your tart to melt at the temperature of an average melter (electric or tea light) so if its too hard, the wax won't melt and if it's too soft it won't hold up on a hot summer day. Blending wax with different melting points and fragrance loads changes the original purpose of the wax. My advice would be to go with a wax and learn all about it before you start blending. It takes a bit of testing and time to learn about a particular wax. Go to the fragrance section and click on suppliers and read through their products and the prices and then pick one and begin testing. You want a tart that will fragrance for a good deal of time and one that melts completely within a reasonable time. That sounds simple but believe me, its not. HTH

Steve

This post should be chiseled in stone for novice tart makers.

Nice job, Steve!

I'd add as a personal touch; If you're undecided about what wax to start with for making melts you should consider Candlewic's CBL-129. It's the best I've encountered so far.

http://www.candlewic.com/store/Product.aspx?q=c69,p526&title=Container-Blend-Wax---CBL-129

JMO/HTH

Dave @ Charlotte Hall Country Candles

Steve

I agree! I especially agree with what I highlighted. It seems that a lot of people do just fine tossing any leftover wax into molds and they have great wax melts. That has not quite worked that way for me. I want my melts to be of the same quality as candles. As a result, I put in the same time, effort and expense as someone who makes outstanding candles. I know that may seem unnecessary to some but it seems reasonable to me.

I agree! I never knew they existed until Karen sent me some of hers. I could tell they were sturdier and thicker and they look better. I melted a ton of the solo cups when I used those. That's why I quit using them. I'm thinking of getting some of the Ellipso cups to go along with clamshells and molded tarts.