How can I get a stronger hot throw with c3 Nature Wax?

I've been doing so much researching, but I just seem to find such conflicting answers. If anyone who actually uses c3 could tell me what they do to get a strong hot throw, I would greatly appreciate it! I've been using c3 Nature Wax to make my soy candles, and at first I had a great cold throw but virtually no hot throw. But I wasn't using scents made for soy. So I've ordered some soy scents from Candle Science with the higher soy ratings, and now I definitely have a little bit of a hot throw, but I feel like it could be much stronger. I want people to really enjoy my candles! If they're in a small room with the door shut it's decent, but I still feel like it could be so much better. I use a 10 oz glass, and I was using HTP 126 wicks, so after doing some research and talking to someone from Nature Wax, it seems that the ECO wicks are recommended for the c3 wax, so I've order ECO 12 wicks, and really hoping that does the trick. I currently heat to 180-185, add the FO, and then pour at 150. To anyone who uses this wax, what temp do you add the FO at? It seems like I've read conflicting advice about adding it hotter or cooler. My other question is also, how much FO do you use? I've been using 1.5 per pound, and It seems like the majority of people who use this wax say to only use 1 oz. per pound, but then I have read something from a couple people who say they bumped it up to 1.5 and then that's when they finally got a strong throw. I am just so confused! How can there be so many different methods for the same exact product? If some of you could tell me exactly how you melt and pour your c3, and if you have a really strong hot throw, I would so so so so appreciate it!

• Like 1

I do not use soy wax, but I believe many members here use CD or CDN wicks with the C-3. Next to those are the ECO wicks, if I'm not mistaken. I'm sure an experienced C-3 user will soon answer your questions.

GL :)

Hi, I've been using C3 for several years and love it. Let me first say that what works for one won't necessarily work for another. I can offer some suggestions but it all comes down to testing and finding what works best for you.

For me, I prefer CDNs and Premier wicks...ECOs work well too tho. I temper C3 but that's for looks and doesn't really play a part in ht. I heat the wax to 185*, add fo (8.5% works well for me and doesn't cause seepage issues), stir 2 minutes, cool to pour temp (125* works for me) and pour. For optimal throw, I let the candles cure for 2 weeks...one week is fine for testing purposes. For citrus fo's, I add at 175* to avoid a fuel smell.

CandleScience has some great oils that work well with C3...Macintosh, Mistletoe, Lime Cooler, to name a few.

Soy, including C3 tends to be pickier than paraffin when it comes to fo's...wicking, oils, cure time all play a big part in achieving a great ht. Keep good notes, let the candles cure, test a few different wicks, dont go overboard on fo (will lead to other issues like seepage and clogging the wick)...you'll get there! Have fun! HTH

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the responses and for all the info! I'm going to try ECO wicks and I think CDN as well, and hopefully that will do the trick. And I think it sounds like possibly cut back on FO a bit. Can I ask what you mean by temper?

There are some great threads on tempering....Tempering helps to greatly reduce frosting, gives wax a much smoother, creamier look, and for C3 it takes away the 'bubbles'. This is what I do....

Heat wax to 185* (you can add up to 1 tbs USA-universal say additive-pp to further help) and hold at that temp for a few minutes stirring it on occassion

Remove from heat and let cool to slushy stage (to save time, I do this at night and let wax harden, then finish next day when Im ready to pour)

Then heat back up to 185*, add color, remove and add fo, stir 2 minutes then pour at temp you like.

Stella has many threads on C3 and tempering and gives the scientific explanation on how and why tempering works so well. Do a search on tempering and you'll get some great info...hth

I use C3 and my candles are kickbutt strong. I usually use 1.25 - 1.5 pp depending on the oil. I use Eco wicks. Not all FOs will take the same wick size even in the same container so you might want to buy a sample pack. Make sure you cure your candle before burning. I usually try to cure a week if I can.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I use C3 and my candles are kickbutt strong. I usually use 1.25 - 1.5 pp depending on the oil. I use Eco wicks. Not all FOs will take the same wick size even in the same container so you might want to buy a sample pack. Make sure you cure your candle before burning. I usually try to cure a week if I can.

deb426 Can I ask what are some FOs that you use?