Liability Question

lmc

I have been making candles for several years now and I make for myself and give some to my family....I have no plans to ever make a business out of it. However, I would like to give some to my friends on occassion as gifts. The question is IF heaven forbid, something were to happen (jar breaks, furniture gets scorched, whatever) am I held liable for damage?

The whole state tax, filing tax, business license, liability ins. is what keeps me from selling to begin with, but I'm unsure of what my responsibilty is if something should happen from a candle (that Ive made) that's gifted compared to one sold. TIA

Before I even started testing candles many years ago I had liability insurance in place, just in case. I think anyone who makes candles at all should have insurance because you never know what idiot out there burns their house down. It's just common sense on your part as a candle maker to cover all your bases!! :cool2:

I did not have any insurance for my first couple years of making candles and I was always worried about it. I feel much better now that I do have it. I have had insurance for the last 4 years and it really isn't that expensive when you think of the alternative. My insurance company let's me make monthly payments so it is easier to take.

It is Capitol Insurance in Middleton Wisconsin. Not sure how insurance works and if it goes state by state. I actually just went to my usual insurance agent and they hooked me up. It is about $25.00 per month.