Votives Too Hot!

I'm pouring NG Soy which is Golden Foods 415 wax directly into glass votive holders and using CD-5 wicks. As the votive burned, the flame slowly got very tiny, almost burned out and the melted soy built up along the sides of the jar. Changed to a CD-7 wick which took care of those two problems, but WOW the jars get hot! What wick would you suggest? I read through quite a few posts and see some suggest LX wicks. I'd appreciate hearing what you think I should try.

Goldie

LX aren't quite as hot as cd IMHO but I like the ht from the cd better. Personally, I like pouring into the molds because they act like miniature pillars and don't heat the glass up until the end but that's just me.

Steve

What is "ht"? I've got hundreds of glass votives to use up, or I wouldn't probably be even pouring votives. :(

Guest OldGlory

I would suggest going to Aztec's website and looking at the selection of Premier wicks. I switched to Premier many years ago and never looked back. Buy a variety pack because you'll want to use them in other sizes too.

• 2 weeks later...
I would suggest going to Aztec's website and looking at the selection of Premier wicks. I switched to Premier many years ago and never looked back. Buy a variety pack because you'll want to use them in other sizes too.

I will definitely do that. In the meantime, my pint jars were burning perfectly using the same soy, CD-12 wick, and AH-RE FOs. Got my Peak FOs and used everything the same except the FOs. My mistake to not test the CD-12 wick with the Peak oils. I decided to test one and see the wax building up along the edges and the candle burning down the middle. ARGGGG...............!!! First question, does every FO HAVE to be tested with a variety of wicks? Is there such a variance from one company to the next so each company's oils may need a different wick for the same soy, same jar?

I will definitely do that. In the meantime, my pint jars were burning perfectly using the same soy, CD-12 wick, and AH-RE FOs. Got my Peak FOs and used everything the same except the FOs. My mistake to not test the CD-12 wick with the Peak oils. I decided to test one and see the wax building up along the edges and the candle burning down the middle. ARGGGG...............!!! First question, does every FO HAVE to be tested with a variety of wicks? Is there such a variance from one company to the next so each company's oils may need a different wick for the same soy, same jar?

Every single fragrance oil needs tested in your system. Your base system will be the jar you choose, the wax you choose and then you can have a base wick that works best with your wax/jar. Adding color will also change the wick as well.

I have a base wick, LX. I start ALL fragrance oils at my starter wick and go from there. So every single fragrance I test is poured into my jar, with color or without, with this base wick and tested. Many work from the get go and some fail and need a new wick size. I then re-test with the new wick and if all of this STILL fails, either with the burn or with the scent throw I will make the decision to 1.)test a different wick or 2.)dump the fragrance.

In my jar, with my wax I have success with Lx Eco CD and HTP. I just today poured unscented testers with my new wick, Performa. To date my fave overall is LX, but with some fragrances Eco and CD have ended up being the right combo.

Testing is a never ending thing. I have about 40 completely finished fragrances that are set in stone, and every week I test more. I have papers and notebooks and have developed my own system that works well.

And yes, every single fragrance, from each company is going to be different and needs to be tested. Welcome to our club! :grin2:

Thanks! I've been keeping notes; time to get them organized on a spreadsheet. I definitely will test all.

Reading through past posts, I noticed someone mentioned wicks bending as they burn and possibly causing a fire. Do I have to find a wick that doesn't bend as it burns? Because I think all of the wicks I've tried curve as they burn.

Goldie

• 2 weeks later...

There are wicks that are designed to curl as they burn and some people wind the wicks by turning the jar and this causes the wick to turn as it burns and keep the melt pool even. You may have read a post(s) about people who make tails on their candles for decorative purposes and some customers may be too dense to cut the wick off before burning. If a wick curls down into the wax it simply goes out and does not catch the wax on fire.

Steve

There are wicks that are designed to curl as they burn and some people wind the wicks by turning the jar and this causes the wick to turn as it burns and keep the melt pool even. You may have read a post(s) about people who make tails on their candles for decorative purposes and some customers may be too dense to cut the wick off before burning. If a wick curls down into the wax it simply goes out and does not catch the wax on fire.

Steve

Whew! Thanks. I've been worried about this. Don't want to sell something and have a house burn down. ;)

Goldie