Orange M&P Soap Turning Brown

glowworm

After making unscented and undyed goats milk M&P soap for myself for awhile I decided to try making some small orange chiffon bars for spring. I used non-bleeding liquid orange dye and they were beautiful for the first couple days but then by about day 4 they all started turning a ugly brown. The one I used was the worst...it looked really gross.

Is it because of the fo I used or is there something else I was suppose to add to stop this from happening? I just read the post from jackbenimble so now i'm wondering if that would solve the problem. Any ideas? TIA

Its not unusual for some FOs to discolor the soap color to tan, brown, dark brown, etc. This is especially true for FOs with any vanillin content.

WSP has a vanilla stabilizer. Don't remember off hand who else carries it. It helps with discoloration caused by vanilla FOs.

I tend to buy my soap FOs from suppliers that have tested their oils in CP and tell you if it may discolor your soap. If it discolors in CP it will do it in M&P.

Edited by Candybee

Quote'

I tend to buy my soap FOs from suppliers that have tested their oils in CP and tell you if it may discolor your soap. If it discolors in CP it will do it in M&P.

I'm in the process of gathering products needed to do M&P for myself, wife, family and gifting. I've been a "traditional" chandler for many years, but only recently had any interest in B&B crafting for personal use.

This was the first time in my research I read that M&P discolors as does CP with particular fragrances. Knowing this will reduce the risk of making some dissapointing bars of soap in the beginning of my adventure.

Thanks, Candy!

Dave

Its not unusual for some FOs to discolor the soap color to tan, brown, dark brown, etc. This is especially true for FOs with any vanillin content.

WSP has a vanilla stabilizer. Don't remember off hand who else carries it. It helps with discoloration caused by vanilla FOs.

Thanks Candybee! I have some vanilla stabilizer that I bought from brambleberry. I will try that and see what happens and I will also check the FOs that I use more closely. Is there a time frame that this discoloration takes place in usually? For example, if it hasn't turned in a week or two...am I in the clear so to speak? Or is it just a crap shoot when certain FOs will turn if they're going to?

Check to make sure that the vanilla stabilizer is safe for M&P soap. I know the one from WSP is designated for CP, and there is another for M&P, and I was told they shouldn't be used in the wrong application.

Most suppliers will be able to tell you if a fragrance has vanilla in it, and most are pretty good about calling it out in the descriptions as well. For the record, I have seen a couple of FOs that turned after 2 weeks, but it wasn't drastic. Also, check with your supplier about how long they say the Vanilla Stabilizer lasts. I have heard rumor (but haven't seen it myself) that over a longer period of time it still will turn, it just happens a lot slower than if you wouldn't have used it at all.

Check to make sure that the vanilla stabilizer is safe for M&P soap. I know the one from WSP is designated for CP, and there is another for M&P, and I was told they shouldn't be used in the wrong application.

Most suppliers will be able to tell you if a fragrance has vanilla in it, and most are pretty good about calling it out in the descriptions as well. For the record, I have seen a couple of FOs that turned after 2 weeks, but it wasn't drastic. Also, check with your supplier about how long they say the Vanilla Stabilizer lasts. I have heard rumor (but haven't seen it myself) that over a longer period of time it still will turn, it just happens a lot slower than if you wouldn't have used it at all.

Thanks for the info...I will check it out. :)

• 1 month later...