Help from my crafter friends!!!

leisa2003

Ok, I have a few friends who do a couple quarter auctions monthly and they have asked me to join in their group with vendors who sell Scentsy, Partylite, 31 gifts, Grace Adele, etc... anyhow, I agreed to try it out and the first auction isnt until April. I recently had another lady contact me after my friends shared that I am a crafter who makes her own candles who would be joining their group. This lady said that because I am a crafter, and alot of crafters sell junk, that there should be no place for crafters in these types of events because like with Scentsy and Partylite their names are already out there and are well known and they have great products that are known to be great products. :sad2:

*Will one of my crafter friends here just throw the BIG Ole' coutch at me so I can go hide behind it!!!! :( KIDDING!!!! But it certainly was a hateful message and it make me more determined to GO FOR IT!!!!

What are your opinions, would you still participate or just do strictly craft shows????

Edited by leisa2003

What the!??? I may try it once just to show that lady that not only do I NOT sell junk, what I make is superior to all those direct sales companies combined! I would wow them with the fact that I actually know how the product is made.

What the!??? I may try it once just to show that lady that not only do I NOT sell junk, what I make is superior to all those direct sales companies combined! I would wow them with the fact that I actually know how the product is made.

LOL! I agree with you there. I just know they are going to hate to see my table when they see my products and that I MAKE them myself. :)

She SHOULD be nervous. I am just a hobbyist who has only been making melts about a year and even I have gotten email after email telling me how much better people like my melts than their favorite Scentsy melts, so when you show up with your goodies, you may not get asked back! haha!

I get that this is a symposium of sorts but can you explain what a monthly "quarter auction" is? I have not heard of that.

A quarter auction is usually a type of fundraiser using quarters kinda like you play bingo to win prizes. It is illegal in some states but Ohio is a 'pro" gambling state. Each vendor gives 5 products, one as a full DONATION and the other four products are bidded on with quarters. You get all the quarters for the other four products but after you figure your cost, shipping and sales tax, you agree to give the rest of your quarters to the charity/fundraiser. You also get to set-up a table with your products to sell before & after the quarter auction.

ETA: Usually depending on the retail value of the product, its either a 1 quarter bid or a 2 quarter bid. You buy paddles with numbers on them and the announcer has chips with the numbers on them (same as the paddles) and if they call your number and you have that paddle (number) you win that prize and so on for each products given to the auction.

Edited by leisa2003

What a witch!! Tell her that you'd be more than willing to put your candles up against Scentsy or Partylite anyday and that just because they are 'well known' doesn't always make them the best. Of course, me, not handling that kind of crap myself would tell her to 'f*** off' or 'pound salt' and I'd say it will a big 'ole smile!! :yes:

Before he died my dad had three auction houses at different times and in different states. He rented a site in Delaware and one in Pennsylvania and owned one in Maryland. I worked for him as a licensed auctioneer (He paid for the license/I took the test) in the one in Maryland.

I've been to a bunch and a bunch more of auctions, but have no clue as to what you are describing a "quarter auction" to be. I guess I'm just plain "thick".

I agree with the others though. Go and have fun and show up those other "know-it-lesses".

I won't be able to sleep tonight until I can work out the concept of QA in my old brain!

Dave

Edited by emilyspoppy

Here you go, Dave. I am a researcher by nature so had to go read more! We do silent auctions here so I could not equate how if I went and dropped quarters in a bucket by an item that anyone would know it was me. Now I get it!

http://www.ehow.com/how_4769641_start-quarter-auction.html

PHEW!!! Looks like I can sleep tonight after all!

Speaking of sleeping don't forget to "spring forward" your clocks tonight for that extra hour we'll be entitled too!

Thanks, Karen!

Dave

Yes, I agree with the others- go for it and have fun! Block out the negative- and just enjoy the experience! I'm sure your products with outshine the others by a long shot! (I will also have to read up on quarter auctions, and thanks for the reminder about "springing forward" the clocks...shoot, I really need that hour!!)

What a witch!! Tell her that you'd be more than willing to put your candles up against Scentsy or Partylite anyday and that just because they are 'well known' doesn't always make them the best. Of course, me, not handling that kind of crap myself would tell her to 'f*** off' or 'pound salt' and I'd say it will a big 'ole smile!! :yes:

Gotta agree. Except my smile would be a raucous laugh out loud.

Dave. We LOSE an hour...

OMG! I'm already ugly! A shorter beauty rest is not acceptable. I'll be taking 10MG's of Ambien and four Tylenol PM's washed doiwn with two double Gin & Tonics. That ought to do it. I'm headed to bed right now!

Thanks for clearing my confused mind.

Leisa QUOTE; "Sorry if I confused ya Dave about a QA. And I do not like losing sleep, bummer!!!!"

I'm always confused. It's my natural state!

Do you have a business name for your candles? If yes, you are a crafter and a business owner that happens to make the best candles that are out there. Whenever I am at a show and they tell me they can only have so many candles in there I tell them I am a new company and our name is just getting out there and our candles are handmade. Then I send them my best scented candle for a sample and yes, I do get a call back asking me to be in there show.

we need to take pride in our products that we make, it may take a while for your name to get out there but once it does, people will come back and buy more and other companies will contact you.

Good luck!