Peeved

I wasn't sure where to put this but here it is.

It really peeves me that when a company offers a limited time free shipping deal,wax is never included and there's like a $100 minimum order?! It ticks me off so bad! The cost of wax is insane and i would love a shipping deal every once in a while! Does this bother anyone else?

What bugs me is that soon after I buy something from one of the big suppliers, they immediately e-mail a "Save 20% on shipping" or "10% off orders over $200" or something similar.

Of course, since I just bought what I needed, these promotional offers are useless.

Thanks for nothing.

I like to try and limit the number of small orders I make. I keep a clipboard in my work area and try to keep it updated by regularly checking my stock levels. I hate it when shipping is almost as high as the items purchased. I like to order as large an order as possible. I will often alternate some fragrances between suppliers when they are real similar.

I think it would be a disservice to Alan and Peak to mention that I get my wax and jars from a competitor who offers a significant UPS bulk rate shipping on 200 pound lots and because they price the wax and containers and lids I use quite a bit less, I feel OK with paying the shipping charges. For me it's more about best value than just price. Service is a big factor, too.

I've mentioned before that there are no suppliers located near me. Although I live in the heart of the Mid-Atlantic states. I cannot travel to pick-up wax and jars on a regular basis to save on shipping. UPS can do the job cheaper.

The best promo's in my opinion are when suppliers offer their 1 ounce sample fragrances at a big discount. I'm a FOholic! I love sniffing those little bottles.

JMO

Dave

Try LoneStar.

Not sure if this was meant for me or another, but I agree that Lonestar is a quality company. I compared them to Peak before I found this board that Alan works so hard to maintain.

I'll try to spend as much as I can with Peak. I like the service and the PET and glass bottles they use too. Much better that HDPE bottles.

I hate to report though, that I doubt that any true FOholic will ever settle on just one or two suppliers. Ain't it a shame! So many fragrances and so long to recover from "candle nose".

JMO

Dave

Tip: Use your own shipping account whenever possible and you'll save.

Just recently I placed an order with a well known supplier for 7 lbs of oil and shipping came to $23.00 from a mid-western state to NY. I plugged it into my account and it's $11. I know I'm not getting better rates then they are. And to top it off I was given an excuse of "UPS charges $10.00 for extra insurance of orders over 100.00 not them." Total BS. I just insured a $400.00 order Friday and it was $3.50 extra which included a signature. I doubt I will be using this supplier again, and if I do, I'll use my shipper account because that's grossly overcharging.

I think ALL suppliers need to get their shipping calculations in check. It makes you wonder if they think we don't know how much stuff really costs to ship. They only hurt themselves because I consolidated big time, I had no choice. I spent 25,000 last year on supplies and only a hand full of the co's that kept their numbers honest and provided me with consistent quality product and customer service got my money. The rest got the boot.

I'm in Canada and have taken advantage of WSP's free shipping which has saved me quite a bit on shipping. I order heavy, bulky stuff from them

like wax and jars. I can get the same jars I use in Canada for about 170.00 in shipping for a particular amount, but WSP has the same jars for only 1$

more per case with free shipping. I pay the brokerage fees which as based on the value of the order, not the size or weight and the cost is between 50 - 60

dollars, quite a major savings.

The supplier, to offer free shipping on wax, would pay $20-25 per case shipping, UPS;could be more depending on the distance. This would negate any profit they would make. To be competitive they buy (or should buy) trailer loads of wax for reduced wax cost and reduced shipping rates; they do not double their cost. So, the margin is not there to offer free wax shipment. Next, Funkmonkey...You can be right in using your own account, but from my experience it does not work out. Shippers offer reduced shipping rates if your volume hits their volume discount levels. So, assuming the company you are ordering from ships enough to qualify for a reduced rate, they can ship your order cheaper using their account. This assumes no handling fees and a company not trying to gouge the customer with extra fees. Like you, we do not order again from companies that try to tak on extras. Many companies either do not understand their shipping or do not care. We check shipping for USPS, UPS and freight, depending on the weight and use the cheapest one.

I always try to order jars and wax at the same time and being that I am here in Texas I get those from Lonestar. I will order a full pallet of jars, enough lids for those jars and 5 boxes of wax so I get that price break. I have them put it on a pallet, shrink wrap it and send it LTL. Sometimes I actually set up my own LTL carrier since we get huge discounts with UPS LTL shipments. This discount comes associated with my day job which now that my candle shop is at them same location is wonderful. However even when I did it at home I would have them ship on a truck with a liftgate and had a pallet jack in the garage to pull the pallet in the garage. ALWAYS make sure if there are any oils or other items I might need from them in the next 2 months I go ahead and get those at the same time because basically they ship for free on that pallet. For roughly $125 I get all that delivered which really keeps overall costs down as low as possible. I do have to admit it breaks the bank for a bit. Now in the summer I can't always do those quantities but even half a pallet of jars and a couple cases of wax are still usually cheaper to ship on a pallet.

I understand that they don't make as much money if they offer free shipping but it would still be nice to get a deal once a year at least! I raffle candles away from time to time and i don't make any money off of those but it keeps customers happy so i gladly eat the cost every once in a while. I'm not even expecting a free shipping deal,but a discount shipping deal would be great! 15% would tickle me pink! Peak is the only company that i've seen do this. I order most of my oils from Peak but I use c3 wax and they don't carry it. I've been getting it from Fillmore. They seem to have the best rate for where i'm at. $58+$33 shipping.

Guest OldGlory

Aztec is having a 10% off sale and they have extended it thru TODAY. 10% would go a long way towards increasing your profit.