6006 Wax

I can't discuss wicking with you, I'm sure there are many on this board who will, but IGI-6006 is my second most used wax. It has a great C/H throw. It can be a single-pour wax if poured under optimal conditions.

I usually get mine from Candlescience. Peak may be a good option too. With CS you can see the total cost of shipping before committing to purchase. They also have a 200 lb. ground shipping rate through UPS. It's quite a savings for us, but were located on the East Coast.

My suggestion to you would be to buy a sample package or two from Peak and try it first.

They are the only seller that I know who offers samples instead of 10 pound slabs or 50 pound cases.

JMO/HTH

Dave

Guest OldGlory

I love 6006. I use zinc wicks in it and have no trouble wicking it. I also use it in clamshells. Try it, you'll like it!

Aztec also carries 6006 and I think you can buy a slab but I'm not totally sure.

Another fan of 6006. I only have a small handful of scents that I have used that have been throw flops. However the list of scents that I don't like is longer, they worked, I just didn't like them in the end.

It's a one pour and I use it in other recipes that I have created for other candles.

Thanks everyone I think I am gonna buy a sample of it and give it a try. I may even try it in my clamshells and see how I like it. I don't have any zinc wicks right now Only eco's and lx's So I guess I will have to order some and try them out.

Thanks everyone I think I am gonna buy a sample of it and give it a try. I may even try it in my clamshells and see how I like it. I don't have any zinc wicks right now Only eco's and lx's So I guess I will have to order some and try them out.

I forgot to mention the clamshells. We use it for them too. Check with a supplier about the wicks you have on hand. Some of them may work.

I used to use a 51Z with an 8 oz. jelly jar before we found our propietary wick. They did OK for us. A small bunch of wicks shouldn't be much of an expense. I've bought a Peak wick sampler. I would be glad to send you some raw wicking and possibly some assemblies, but I'm still on probation and not able to do a PM. Sorry!

JMO/HTH

Thanks emily I just ordered a 10lb slab of the 6006 and a sample pack of zinc wicks and of corse more fo's LOL All from lonestar There the closest to me and there shipping isn't to bad. I guess I will be doing some major testing once my new supplies get here :)

I started out with 6006 and zinc wicks. It won't throw everything, so I recommend starting with FO's that are known to throw in soy, and use aprox 9% FO load. Because it's got soy in it, it has to cure for at least a week before you test burn.

I think it would make great tarts, as CS recommends in their tart video, because I still use chunks of my dud candles in my melter and they're strong and last a couple of days at least.

Edited by HorsescentS

The only problem I have found using 6006 is when we pour 1 1/2 ounce hex jars. We do use these frequently as samplers for our more "promising" customers.

They are a beast to pour with 6006. Because they cool so quickly and are odd shaped, they almost always have major sink holes and need repouring and often a final heat gun treatment. (I use a scrapbooking embossing heat gun. Good heat, but less air flow which means less wax splattering.)

This condition, I found also present with other waxes such as 4627 and 4630, but 6006 was the worst for us. The wax has to be poured about 160F or a bit less and allowed to cool quite slowly.

I hate warming jars, but I do use a heat lamp set up that I built for our pouring station several years ago. It has helped us quite a bit.

I have bought the round 1 1/2 ounce jars from Filmores, but they too required "repair".

JMO/HTH

Dave

Guest OldGlory

The only trouble I've had with 6006 is in a glass jar 3" tall, 2.5" diameter. The jar narrows 1/2" from the top and has threads for a twist on/off lid. I pour at 170-175 to avoid vertical lines forming all the way up the candle. At a normal room temperature, the sides and top of the candle cool too fast and sink holes form.

The fix, for me, was to pour the candles on top of a warm stove and not move them until they're done firming up. The larger jar I pour the same wax in to is just fine, no sink holes. I think a heat lamp above it would work, or some source of heat under them, near them, etc. Just be aware that smaller diameter jars will need a little extra TLC. Also, the wax needs to be poured just shy of the point where the jar narrows. I'm ok with topping it off as needed.

Clamshells are AWESOME!!

Seeing that BCN is 5 hrs from me - I may as well try this too (husband rolls eyes). Looks like it's very similar to the Clarus 3022 for containers. Would also love to hear what your thoughts are too, Dolphin146, once you've tested. Sounds like it's a work horse wax that many love.

Clarus 3020 is their version of 6006. Its close to a 50/50 soy paraffin ration and tends to separate from the jar wall if not careful. I used a formula of 85% 6006 with 15% 415 soy for a really nice candle. Pour at 180 degrees into room temp jars and don't cover. I liked the cd wicks just fine with that formula and got good ct/ht with about 7% fo load. The issues with that set up were always cosmetic (wet spots) and not with any other aspect of the formula. The adhesion only broke down after the initial burn of the candle but held up real well otherwise. Good luck.

Steve

I have plenty of 415...will certainly try out your suggestion. Much appreciated Steve! I love CD's - was hoping to give that a go out of the gate.

I add 415 to 6006 also. Try one with 50-50 and see how you like it. Wick for soy tho, either CD or ECO and it will need to cure like soy. You should end up with approx. 70 soy/30 paraffin candle.

• 1 month later...
I love 6006. I use zinc wicks in it and have no trouble wicking it. I also use it in clamshells. Try it, you'll like it!

Aztec also carries 6006 and I think you can buy a slab but I'm not totally sure.

I have some 6006 here when I purchased a sample along with a bunch of others from Peak. Do you feel more FO is needed in this wax? I may give it another try.

Also, on zinc wicks....I have them but seem to always reach for Eco or HTPs. Might give them another chance as well. Thank you for sharing. :)

Edited by jeanie353

I use 6006 with an additional 15% ezsoy. I use CD wicks though. Great CT and HT. I haven't found a FO that hasn't thrown well in this wax combo.

Never thought of using zinc wicks...hmmmm

I get mine from BCS, they are only about 45 mins. from my house.

I use KY tart/votive wax in clamshells though.