GM Soaping Question

JanetsCandles

I couldn't find what I was directly looking for in the search, so asking to be sure. I've used the canned goats' milk for cp soap in the past, but would there be any problems with using "raw" goat milk? Basically unpasteurized GM. I know there wouldn't be the same issues as drinking it, but would it lead to anything going wonky in the soaping process or in the cure?

For fresh milk you just have to be a little creative. Check your county extension service for 4-H clubs and such.

Also, when the county fair comes around, visit the Dairy Goat barn and make friend with the people showing their herd. At the fair they have to 'pump and dump,' meaning hundreds of gallons a week are dumped on the grass. Travesty really.

Most people who show dairy goats don't use them for retail milk as the FDA rules and regs are too stiff - their business is in the animal itself. If you're friendly, show a genuine interest in the farmer and their flock, you can set up a lifetime supply in exchange for some really well made soap they can give away to their friends. Plus goats are fun. Their people are pretty cool too. I use a similar approach to get raw wool roving. But that's another story. =)

Thanks. I know this sounds weird but there are goat farmers all over this valley. But finding one that actually sells their milk is harder than I figured. I did get a tip on a goat farmer near a farmers market I do that starts in May. So my search may be over then.

For fresh milk you just have to be a little creative. Check your county extension service for 4-H clubs and such.

Also, when the county fair comes around, visit the Dairy Goat barn and make friend with the people showing their herd. At the fair they have to 'pump and dump,' meaning hundreds of gallons a week are dumped on the grass. Travesty really.

Most people who show dairy goats don't use them for retail milk as the FDA rules and regs are too stiff - their business is in the animal itself. If you're friendly, show a genuine interest in the farmer and their flock, you can set up a lifetime supply in exchange for some really well made soap they can give away to their friends. Plus goats are fun. Their people are pretty cool too. I use a similar approach to get raw wool roving. But that's another story. =)

Excellent thoughts! I have been having trouble finding people who sell their milk as well locally. But we have a few farmer's markets opening soon that I'm going to be looking at as well. Thanks!