Using Silk in CP

Candybee

I just got some Tussah silk for using in my soap. I am confused because I see different amounts to use in your soap. One says use a cottonball size for a 5lb batch, one says use a Q-Tip size amount in your soap. Thats a big difference.

So I tried my first batch yesterday and put a small "cottonball" size in my 3.35 lb batch. I am guessing it was too much but I am not sure how much to use. I put it in my lye water so it was in it for maybe 15-25 minutes before my lye water was cool enough to start making soap. I discarded the wet wad of silk.

I thought silk was supposed to disolve in the lye solution.

So my questions are; how much silk per pound of soap oils do I use? how long do I let it sit in the lye water? and is it supposed to fully disolve in the lye water?

Yeah, the rec's are all over the place. In general, a small wad - like 1/10-1/4 gram or so in a 5lb batch- is all it takes. There's not really a set amount.

If you snip the fibers of the silk, then wet them in the water of your lye pot before the lye is added to the water they will dissolve more readily.

Also, as you stick blend your soap in the pot the rest of the fibers that didn't dissolve fully in the solution will break down. I've read where people SB the lye solution before pouring, but wouldn't be comfortable doing that myself. Even with eye protection the thought of spattering lye solution is more than I am willing to risk.

Thanks TallTayl. That helps a lot. I can see I used too much but thats okay. I bought a quarter lb bag of silk. I guess it may last me for months and months. But again, I really hadn't a clue how much to buy either! LOL

Can anyone who uses silk in their soap tell me what benefits you get out of it and if you can really tell the difference with it in your soap. I am thinking it may be more noticeable in products like lotions and liquid soap. But I am hoping it is also noticeable in a bar of soap and that it generates into more sales.

Yeah , 4 oz is good for several hundred lbs of CP.

The benefit is in the skin feel of CP. The silk amino acids give a (sorry) 'silky' feel to the lather. It 'can' add label appeal, except to vegans.

Have not tried it in liquid soap. In lotions and other B&B where I choose to add silk, I buy the hydrolyzed silk or silk powder. They each will mix better than the Tussah silk fibers.

Can either of those also be used in CP? or is it more economical or effective to stick wth the Tussah silk fibers for CP? Told you I have lots of questions!!

For CP, the tussah noil is definitely much more cost effective. The actives in the hydrolyzed silk (liquid) is pretty small, so you would need comparatively more than the silk wad. The hydrolyzed silk is denatured, so it "should" survive the high pH of CP. Not sure the lather would match that of the tussah as the products are very different.

The powder is pretty spendy too. It too 'should' survive the high pH, but have not tested it to see what it would lend to the final product. I reserve the powder for non soap applications.

All in all, I really like the tussah noil in CP. It smells nice, almost sweet, in the lye solution. Since most of my line is suitable for vegan I don't use silk in more than one or two varieties.

HTH :)

Good ideas here ladies. Thanks so much. I hadn't thought about the vegan angle so I need to keep that in mind. Can't wait for my silk soap to cure to compare it to my regular soap. This weekend I am making more soap with silk in it and will try the snipping fibers and adding to water before lye techniques.

May try that cornstarch idea too. Just to compare.