Looking for photography tips

EnvyCandles

The best tip I can give for really great photos is natural lighting. I always get the best pictures when doing a photo shoot outside in the daylight. I made my own lightbox which works great but natural light blows away any artificial light.

If you are like me and like to use color and textures to accentuate your subject then take advantage of using your own garden plants, flowers, leaves, twigs, berries, grasses, etc. A few leaves or soft florals surrounding or in the background of your subject give it a natural theme look.

For my website I have three different types of photos that I use. A subject with background shot, an icon shot, and a close-up shot. I use my backyard or a park, beach, etc for a background shoot. Then crop it for the icon photo. I use the lightbox for the closeup so its just the product alone against the white background.

No matter how many photo shoots I have done I still takes tons of photos of each set up. For a fall lineup I may take as many as 3-4 hundred shots. But then I do candles and soap.

I agree about the natural light.

And from a personal perspective, choose a dark background, like a piece of black or navy cloth. Most people use white backgrounds. UGLY and the product is washed out and not definitive. Think of your photos as similar to a retail display. High end shops display their items on dark backgrounds unless the items themselves are very dark. Think of jewelry. Think of crystal. Glass sparkles on a black cloth.

Oh...and I disagree with props. You're not selling twigs and flowers. Show your product. Period. Maybe a little extra fluff is OK, but don't detract from your product.

Example:

collage1optim.jpg

Edited by SliverOfWax

Use a tripod. It opens the doors to natural light photography. Invest in a decent one and it will serve you well for many years. Even though I've retired many cameras over the years, I still use the same tripod that I aquired almost 20 years ago.