Containers and Wicks...please help me decide

Ok...I am working on my first order of candle supplies and am having some trouble deciding on a container and wicks. I am ordering from Peaks since they are closest to me, so the shipping is cheaper, and they also have wax samples as well! I plan to get a sample pack or two of the 4627 wax to start out with.

First, for the container...I have it narrowed it down to the 9 oz. oval hex jars and the 8 oz. square mason jars. Ideally I would get the 11.5 oz straight sided tumbler, but no lid is a deal breaker for me. I HAVE to have a lid. I would love to be able to find some flat metal lids to fit that jar, but I have had no success. :( Any ideas of where I could find a lid like that? I ♥ the look of a straight sided jar, like the prestige or status, but the price is a bit steep for me at this point since I am just starting my testing. *sigh* So...for now...I am looking at the oval hex and square mason, and I am wondering if they are both equally easy to wick, or is one more difficult that the other (for example, the oval hex jar appears to be less symmetrical - more oblong than square)? Have any of you had any issues wicking either of they jars?

Second, for the wicks, I plan to get some of Peak's wick sample packs, and was wondering if it is necessary that I buy one of each of the packs, or could I start out with maybe 3 of the packs? The sample packs they sell are: cotton core, HTP, LX, RRD, and zinc. Are there any of these wicks that I should avoid with the 4627 wax, or any must haves to start my testing?

You can find the 12.25 status jar at Dollar Tree. Several suppliers sell the lids. Lonestar is one. Lonestar also has a great wick sample pack that I started with. Fillmore Containers has the lids starting on page 33 under the heading Jar Closures That's wonderful Peaks offers 2Lb samples of 4627

Master Wick Sampler Kit - All Wicks (excludes wood wicks)

Here is a great way to test new sizes & types without breaking the bank! With such a large selection of wicks, it is often difficult to be sure which type, size, and length wick is best for your particular application. If you're unsure, we strongly recommend purchasing the Master Wick Sampler Kit. Included in the kit are 5 samples of every single wick we carry, excluding wooden wicks! (Total of 315 wicks) Plus it's cheaper than buying the individual sampler kits separately!

Price: $44.95

Edited by ChandlerWicks

For 4627 wax you only need the HTP wicks, those are the recommended wicks for that wax and they work the best so there's no need to mess around with the others. After you get used to the HTP wicks, you could try the European-made version of the HTP wicks which are called CD, and I think they burn a bit hotter. But you won't need anything but HTP for a long time.

Those containers are both cute! The square mason is popular with users of 4627, and I don't know how well the hex ovals work with that wax, but you can ask the Peak representative and they should know.

Edited by HorsescentS

You can find the 12.25 status jar at Dollar Tree. Several suppliers sell the lids. Lonestar is one. Lonestar also has a great wick sample pack that I started with. Fillmore Containers has the lids starting on page 33 under the heading Jar Closures That's wonderful Peaks offers 2Lb samples of 4627

I made a trip to my local Dollar Tree and did not see any status jars. :( Maybe they were just out, so I will check back later. Ok...I am soooo very glad you mentioned Fillmore Containers!! I have never heard of them until today (must have been living under a rock until now!), and I love their selection of containers and lids! Yay!! Thanks!

This is the first I knew Peak had wax samples. Had to go look and sure enough they have all kinds of them.

Yes they do! I purchased samples of both the 4630 and 4625 when I was trying these two for my wax melts blends, and at the time I ordered them they did not have the 4627 in a sample size, so I put off ordering candle making supplies because I was unsure if I wanted to commit to 25 lbs of that wax. Now I don't have to because they have a 2 lb sample! :)

For 4627 wax you only need the HTP wicks, those are the recommended wicks for that wax and they work the best so there's no need to mess around with the others. After you get used to the HTP wicks, you could try the European-made version of the HTP wicks which are called CD, and I think they burn a bit hotter. But you won't need anything but HTP for a long time.

Those containers are both cute! The square mason is popular with users of 4627, and I don't know how well the hex ovals work with that wax, but you can ask the Peak representative and they should know.

That is great news about the HTPs! I wonder how many FOs I could buy with the money I would have spent on more wicks...hmmmm :)

I actually just realized today that Peaks had an online chat feature! I will be sure to ask them about the containers. Thanks for the idea!

Edited by denetteb
just saw I could do a multi-quote response

Yes they do! I purchased samples of both the 4630 and 4625 when I was trying these two for my wax melts blends, and at the time I ordered them they did not have the 4627 in a sample size, so I put off ordering candle making supplies because I was unsure if I wanted to commit to 25 lbs of that wax. Now I don't have to because they have a 2 lb sample! :)

A month or two back I went searching for a size of 4627 under 25 lbs and came up empty. Peak must of added it since then. So glad you posted that. If someone wants to just test the wax its awful expensive at 25 lbs.

I keep seeing melt blends with 4630 and really didn't want to order another slab since I have had it here before but didn't blend with some waxes that I want to try at some point.

Wicks will be the death of us all. Testing is the only sure way to fully decide what wick with what wax in your set up system. Your hair will turn grey, you will pull out the hair that doesn't turn grey, you will chew your fingernails to the bone, you will stand in your living room and swear to the four corners.........all because of wicks. But, smile, it's all part of the experience. :)

As for jars, well you look and you look and eventually a couple will just "speak" to you. I love the straight sided tumblers, I'm now using small and a large and I do love them. I'm passing on lids just to keep costs down and of course, the tumbler sizes I chose don't have lids, at least that I can find.

Early on I chose the square victorian jars, and I love them, but I never saw much hot throw. I always blamed the small opening, but it could have been my early system since I didn't really test fully. But, I now use a smaller victorian jar as a spice jar and they look lovely all lined up on my spice rack!

I too wanted to play with 4627, but didn't want to commit to a 25 pound bag and at the time Peak's didn't carry it as a sample, so that's one more thing to add to the Peak's list for my next order............you guys are enablers............:tongue2:

Hi,

I just spoke with Peak yesterday and they are very close to introducing lids for the 7 and 11 oz tumblers!! I found a lid for them from fairwayglass.us that I really like, but you have to order in cases. (By the way, the silver metal lids from fillmore DO NOT work on Peaks 11 oz. tumbler, I ordered samples to try them... fail.)

While you're getting ready to order samples, don't stop with one. Order several. I'm messing around with IGI 4786 and am really like it, for scent throw and wicking. You will have to do repours on that wax, but you may find it worth it. I don't mind it at all. At least you don't have to wait a week for them to cure like soy. I would order zinc samples for those. Another one you may want to order is 6006. That one is around 20 - 30% soy. Try Peaks cotton wicks with this wax. You may like zincs in them as well. That's why the "sampler" packs. The RRD wicks are geared more toward Palm wax. And the LX wicks, personally mushroom more for me than the zincs.

When you look for FO, look at the reviews of each oil. If there are only 4 or 5 reviews, I would keep looking for some you may be interested in that have over 15 reviews. This is only a guide. When you get comfortable with your candle making and can get a candle to throw the way you want, then go ahead and try some of the FO that have lesser reviews. In paraffin, none of them should be a problem, but if you know you've started with a winner, and you end up having problems with scent throw, you know it's not the FO. Some of their FO have over 25-30 reviews.

Good luck in you new hobby! Kiss your extra change good-bye forever!! :)

I'm offering a different approach to beginning your journey into making highly fragrant candles. I have been making candles for a long time and I have wasted more money and effort than I would ever like to admit in a public forum such as this.

First off I'm an old dude! Very pragmatic and always looking looking for the best and usually easiest way to do things. I've got a bunch of years in management and the first thing out of my mouth to trainees was usuallyl "Work smarter, not harder."

If you are only looking to do a few candles for yourself or gifting, pick one container and work with it. Regardless of it's style it should have a removal cover/lid that you can replace on the jar when not in use. It looks to me like you've already started out with a jar that may pose a problem for you.

Use a premium wax. Despite whatever you read on any candle board, paraffin is still the easiest wax to get a good performance with for beginners and IMO old-timers too.

I have tried every known candle base that I am aware of from animal tallows, bayberry, beeswax, soy, palm and gel and I keep sticking with parrafin. It's my choice, because it is the most consistant and EASIET to use. I started with IGI-4527 because of it's remarkable fragrance loading capabilities, but I got worn out from the mess. I switched to IGI-4630 and will quit making candles if they ever stop selling it. Do it right and it's a true one-pour wax with great cold & hot throw. Many suppliers stock it. I order mine from CandleScience in NC. Expect to pay $90 for a 60 pound case. Buy a slab or two at a time in the beginning. It will cost more per pound, but you are not going into a production phase yet.

Until you get some flight time registered, I sugest you settle on an 8 ounce smooth sided/ slightly tapered Jelly jar. They use a size 70 lid and they come in several finishes and styles. The jars and lids are commonly available from many suppliers. They are also about the cheapest and easiest to wick and pour containers out there. Due to their shape and size, "hang" is usually not an issue. I get these from either Fillmore Containers in Lancaster, PA. (I pick them up in bunches); or from CS in NC. It just depends on if I want to travel north to spend some time with my grand-kids.

Don't worry about wet spots! If anyone should ask, tell them it's proof of a highly fragrant candle. In a decade not one customer has ever asked about them in our shop. HONEST!

Our wick is a propietary item, but before we found it we did well wicking our jars with a #51Z (zinc) wick to begin with. Don't clutter up your mind with a lot of the little details that may drive you crazy and scare you off. Good fragrant candles can be made.

Remember keep it simple don't buy stuff you won't need. The stuff you will need will be expensive enough.

Start with no more than 10 or 12 DIVERSE BUT BASIC fragrances from quality supplier(s). Try to pay about $1.00 an ounce if you can. You will need a few ounces of each to do good testing. Avoid buying the largest bottles at first. Many suppliers run sales on their one ounce bottles from Time to time. Sample at first. Read reviews! Don't go for the pricey sophisticated smells in the beginning. Learn to make a good candle first. READ / READ / READ everything you can, especially on this forum. Your time will be well spent. Try to pick the best suppliers closest to you. Candle supplies are expensive to ship. Be patient! Cure times are real and unavoidable. TEST TEST TEST then REST REST REST. Make candles when you're fresh and happy to do it. After three decades I can no longer get into that mode except when I am creating new fragrances. I will wake up in the middle of the night and go to work like some mad chemist. It's the only part I still love!

If you want to venture into different containers or natural waxes later on, the world is your oyster. Remember though; If you offer multiple sizes of your candle jars it will mean multiple amounts of work and inventory too.

Oh! Don't forget to label your work. You will deserve to have bragging rights when you get them right!

There's a lot more for you to learn, but I hope you found some of this to be sound and helpful advice.

I'm new to this board and my privledges are restricted at this time, but except for wicking, I will try to assist if you ask. At least with questions I may be able to reply to.

Good Luck and happy chandlering. :highfive:

Dave @ Charlotte Hall Country Candles

• Like 4

• 3 years later...