Testing lip balm and small batches question

SuzyK

I searched and searched for this information but I couldn't really find it.

I am new to making lip balms. I made a batch the other day and it came out great. Though pouring into the tiny tubes will take practice. lol

I want to test the new flavors I got in but I don't want to make huge batches. How do you make the small batches? I'm so used to wax melts where a small batch is like 8 oz not .15 oz. lol

I'm thinking I need some small containers for pouring.

I don't have a microwave so I am doing the double boiler method.

Make 1 oz batches of balm base, then separate it into smaller increments for flavor testing. I have some 10ml pots from AH/RE that would do good for testing, if you're interested.

I like the double boiler method better than the microwave because you can leave your measuring cup in the warm water and keep your balm melty. I transfer my liquid balm to pots and sticks using a plastic pipette and top off any dips or craters as they cool.

Look for small stainless steel condiment cups to measure and melt tiny batches. They stay just warm enough on a hot plate. I have used the water method, but after enough steam and water splashed into the cups and ruined the batches I moved on.

I too make a master batch then break it up into the amounts need for a few tubes at a time.

You'll need a really precise gram scale for working in those small batches (even if just to add in the flavors and sweeteners). Going by the drop on flavor is pretty imprecise for small tubes worth, and the ending proportions can vary by a LOT.

I'd look for a scale that goes to the .1g increments. TKB trading sells them for mineral makeup and you can find a ton on ebay.

I make and sell mineral makeup so I do have a gram scale already.

I guess I need to invest in some smaller stainless steel pots or jars.

Thank you for your help! How much for the 10 ml pots? I am running low on funds right now since I just spent a bunch on new supplies.

I do double boiler too, use pyrex measuring cup to melt in. I measure out in the lil steel condiment cups, found a four pk super cheap at walmart. Then I use a syringe to fill the tubes, when done I throw the syringe in pyrex cup upside down to melt out any left over wax.

I do an ounce for testing but jus use the same flavor since I love lip balm and so do my family and friends :) Good luck!

Thank you! I didn't think to look at the thrift store. Walmart and Goodwill are close so I will check both!

I am happy to say that my lip balm recipe turned out awesome! I have been testing it and I love it. I've only tested one flavor so far though.