Passion

tackwill

What do you do when you have lost the passion to make candles? I have a good business, I make good sales doing craft shows and fund raisers. But honestly lately it has just not been any fun. I have been doing this as a business for the past 3 years and making candles for the last 4 1/2 years. What do you do when you have made a great business but just don't enjoy it anymore. My family thinks I'm nuts when I say I'm ready to throw in the towel. How do you know when it is time to walk away or if you are just having a duh moment and everything will be fine when the busy season starts again. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I quess I'm just thinking out loud. Any advice. Thanks

Take a two week break from in and go where your not around the candles for awhile. You miss it because there is a part in all of us that is creative.

Update your scent list and weed out poor seller. Then explore new scents to replace them!

Remember what it felt like working a regular job with a boos over you telling you what to do and control a possible raise in the future!

Think on those things! I'll bet you can rejuvinate your energy. :rolleyes:

Tough call, Tackwill. ;)

I myself was going through the exact things. I have a really good base business and wholesale accounts all over the country. Which enables me to buy supplies in bulk and save money. My business is totally self supportive.

You would think this would make someone happy. It made me miserable!

If I didn't have a very demanding full time job, it might have been enjoyable.

However, I was really start to hate orders. Sad but true. It seemed like my life was being controlled by my business. I would have a fit if one of my wholesale accounts emailed me for an order. Between last fall and Valentines day I got very little sleep and was becoming a complete witch. So I took a break. Got more into B&B and decided that I needed to slow it down to my pace. Now it is better. The key is to let YOU run your business and not let your business run you. Take some time for yourself before you make any serious decisions would be my suggestion.

Money is not worth your peace of mind. ;)

I really think that is the problem. For the past 3 years this business has been the center of my life. The business has ran me. If someone ask for a scent then I have to find it instead of politely saying no. My business grew so fast that I was not prepared for it. I'm a stay at home mom, but don't feel like I have the stay at home mom life because honestly my business has always came first. That sounds bad, but it is true. I carry around 40 scents in 2 jar sizes, votive , and melts. I full line of accessories, doing craft shows, farmer markets, fund raisers, web, and call-in orders, plus candle parties. I'm just really burnt out. Besides the fact that I feel like this business has really overtaken my home. There is not a closet or room that doesn't have a candle related item in it. I quess it is all catching up with me, maybe a good nights sleep and it will all look better in the morning.

Since you work from home, try seperating business life from personal. Give yourself "work" hours and "personal" hours. Do not mix them. Go out and do things outside the house for a weekend a month to get away from the business. Don't answer emails after a certain hour. Take days off. Put structure in your home business so it doesn't feel like it is controlling you.

Since you work from home, try seperating business life from personal. Give yourself "work" hours and "personal" hours. Do not mix them. Go out and do things outside the house for a weekend a month to get away from the business. Don't answer emails after a certain hour. Take days off. Put structure in your home business so it doesn't feel like it is controlling you.

These are my exact thoughts. You need to set work hours just like a regular job. Is there a place you can just make your work area so you can walk away at the end of the day and close the door?

Gee, with 40 scents I definately wouldn't add more. If someone wants to special order a scent I would make a minimum purchase amount instead of just making one or two candles.

If your busiest time is Oct, Nov, Dec I probably would give up some candles parties or craft shows. You don't want to spread yourself too thin. After your busy season is over, then take a month off.

Can you get someone else to help you out in some way? Hope you find a way to get relief.

Funny you should post this... It is something I'm going threw myself right now. I have changed up the look of my labels and such, got into a little bath and body (yet that has made me much more busy). So tonight I'm making a daily work hrs. I choose to be a stay at home mom but now it seems like the business always comes first... that is not the way I want or will allow it to be. Take a break spend some time on stuff you enjoy then it will just come back to you. I have my "shop" in a room at the very end of the basement hallway so it is out of site out of mind until it is "work" time...

Good luck

Ash

I really think that is the problem. For the past 3 years this business has been the center of my life. The business has ran me. If someone ask for a scent then I have to find it instead of politely saying no. My business grew so fast that I was not prepared for it. I'm a stay at home mom, but don't feel like I have the stay at home mom life because honestly my business has always came first. That sounds bad, but it is true. I carry around 40 scents in 2 jar sizes, votive , and melts. I full line of accessories, doing craft shows, farmer markets, fund raisers, web, and call-in orders, plus candle parties. I'm just really burnt out. Besides the fact that I feel like this business has really overtaken my home. There is not a closet or room that doesn't have a candle related item in it. I quess it is all catching up with me, maybe a good nights sleep and it will all look better in the morning.

My advice is not candle related but here is my take...My father started his own business when I was 7 years old and put is 10-12 hour days. I never really saw my father except for meal time. Being that young, I never really understood what it took to start a business and we never really got along. More due to our personalities, we are both quick tempered. We never really got along until I moved out of the house, but I digress.

What I am trying to say is to set some time aside for your kids, just them and no business. It sounds like you are being pulled in too many directions and you feel your kids are suffering for it. I know you are very proud of how your business has grown because you are agonizing over it, but it is better to cut back on your business than your kids.

Please don't take what I am trying to say the wrong way, it is just my personal observation, but your business you can always build up again. Just my 2 cents

Guest EMercier

I feel that way every now and then. It's especially when I get troublesome people. I've had special orders and people get picky and don't understand how things are and I always wonder if it's work it. My BF always talks me back into it, but it does take a lot out of me. Since I don't do this full time, I look to it for extra money. I think what makes me get into it is looking at some mass produced candles that aren't as good as mine and when I get good compliments. I mean every business no matter how big or small went through that. I don't break my neck anymore. I've had people who will try to return stuff after burning it saying it's not what they ordered and I've been nice about it, but I ge tto the point where I want to tell them to show it up their tails and I don't want their business anymore. Honestly, for every problem person I have, I get 5 more for that one. Sorry you feel that way, just take a break. I do and then I'm ready to go back.

Thanks everyone, You all have been really hopeful. All of your advice is things that I have been wanting to do for the past 3 years but never took control to do it. So today I'm sorting out business from personal life. I do have a work shop in my basement, but I only pour down there, I have always packaged and labeled everything in my dining room. So I'm going to set up a table to package and label in the shop. I'm going to set working hours. I already have a white board out ready to hang on the basement door. If it is in print I will live by it better. I'm also going to go through my brochure and start trying to weed out some poor sellers. Hopefully if take control of the business I will feel better about it.

NancyJo- you are so right about me feeling torn in different directions. That is the most of it. My husband recently got a new job which requires him to be gone a lot. So I'm feeling like a single mom to a job, plus trying to run my business. I do feel like the kids get the bad end of this situtaion alot. I need to just take control, quit griping, and make life better for my family. If that means slowing down my business some then that is what I need to do. I don't want them to remember me as the mom that was never there because she lived in the basement making candles for everyone else. Thank you for telling me how you saw it because you are right. ;)

I've not been selling candles for long, so I really cannot relate, but I think if you are doing so well, maybe you could hire someone for a few hours a week. Or maybe try something new. Seems a new challenge would test your skills, and maybe you'll embark on something even better :rolleyes: . Giving you back the interest you once had.

You know maybe it would be a good idea to figure out what part of the business takes a lot of time, but doesn't yield the profit. Maybe cutting down on the craft fairs or farmer's market or maybe not have the website, or cancel your wholesale accounts. I think I would do what it takes to feel better about things. I am always getting "why don't you have a website" or "why don't you put your stuff in this store or that store or market in this direction". Someone just bought some candles from me and said well I want something in Coconut, just coconut and how about some peppermint. Of course the first thing I thought of is sure I will get some of those for you. Then I thought, no way, I don't have too if I don't want to. I am in control, but sometimes I just forget...LOL. Good Luck to you. Sounds like you have a great business, maybe too great : )