RRD wicks

It's me again. Just a quick question. Do the RRD wicks mushroom more than say the Eco or CD's? I know HTP's are better in that respect, but I dislike how they smell after burning. But, this is where I may have to go. Right now I'm trying different soy waxes and using the 8 oz. sq. mason and wicked with a RRD 47 and from 6% to 9% FO. This made ok melt pools on some (not total on all) but did mushroom so just looking for advice. Someday an almost perfect candle? Thanks again. Beth

American (Atkins & Pierce) HTP = German (Heinz) CD. Both coreless wicks with a paper stand that causes slight bending to throw the tip of the wick into the outer part of the flame in order to help reduce mushrooming. In my limited experience of them, they burn and bend about the same.

RRD is a cored wick, ECO is coreless. In general, coreless wicks have less mushrooming than cored in soy. However, additives such as FO play a part in mushrooming also. Soy itself will cause more mushrooming than say paraffin, but you'll have less mushrooming in soy with no FO than one with - again, in general. Also if wick is pulling up more fuel than it can actually burn, again, mushrooming. So, its not just the wick type but the size chosen (only way to know is to test).

My "note" book is at work but I think I have been using the RRD 50 in my 8oz square masons.I do get a mushroom, but I also get a really nice melt pool and a really clean jar so I don't mind the trade off. I am using 100% soy wax and FO at 1oz per pound. I have used several of the Peaks Fo's and this wick has worked well in them all.

Thanks to both of you! I learn so much from this forum and have to admit, it is easier than looking all of it up separately. And, Mnhorsemom, maybe then the RRD 47 isn't all that big. I worry so about big wicks and how many seem able to use 100% soy with smaller ones. So, Henryk, when the wick mushrooms because it can't burn all the fuel, do you need to use a bigger wick to burn more or a smaller wick to take up less? If you see this, give it an answer. Thanks again! Beth

• 2 weeks later...

I use the RRD's and they do tend to mushroom. I've used the ECOs and never had problems with mushrooming but I thought the stunk after they were burned. That's why I don't use those. Cottons work well also in soy but will mushroom too.

marilyn

I am finding also, that if wicked correctly, the Peak cotton wicks don't mushroom. And the other thing I noticed is that I hardly even have to trim them, also in the ones that are wicked properly. I am really liking these wicks for my 3" sq mason, more than any other wick so far.

The cotton wicks that Peaks carries are different from other cotton wicks. And you are right, they don't mushroom as much. :) I used them and really liked them, but they don't have a large enough size to single wick my jar. My jars are as large as you can go without having to double wick and to double wick them, would IMO, look funny. I did it once and just didn't like the look.;)

I had more luck with the RRD in the EcoSoya Advanced wax - but in reg 100% soy I like the HTP - I have not tried the Peak cotton - I will have to go and check that out.

BTW - I didn't like the EcoSoya Advanced as I could Never get a hot throw - but the RRD Wicks worked well and the candles Looked Awesome!

Peak's cottons sound great. I did look at them but hate to spend the shipping cost on just a sample pack and then again to order a batch. Which two sizes would probably be the best sizes to use in the 8 oz. square mason. I'm using 100% soy with about 8% FO and maybe 2-4 drops of color per pound. Kerry, do you use soy and what size works good for you? Forget selling candles, someday, I'll have to have a wick sale. LOL. Beth

LB

I have been testing mine by double wicking with the C50 and C55, but have come across one of my FO's that it is still too hot for (Apple Cinnamon). I also tried and the largest one, I think it's a C80 is not hot enough by itself, so I am stuck right now on that one. I still need to do more testing. If it is just one or two FO's that won't work with them, I may just find a diff. wick for those. But in my vanilla and coffee, they burned perfectly. So I think I am going to go ahead and order some of them to do further testing with some of my other FO's. I'll just add them to my collection I have already, LOL! I am also testing in the 3" sq. 8 oz. masons. I have been through the gammet of HTP wicks as well. Even tried double HTP41 in the Apple Cinnamon and was still too hot, and the HTP1212 was not hot enough. Don't know why this jar is so weird to wick. But I am going to figure it out.