long time gone, had something weird happen

Hi all, I havent dropped by all year, been so busy with the remodel that I kinda set the candles aside. Had a curious thing happen to one of my candles. I tested a Coffee scent (maybe from natures garden) It was very strong filled my house each time and a testers house. Very satisfied so I put 1ozppd with a cd-10 or cd-8 gw464 in a couple of 8oz jj. This was around Easter or b4. Recently a friend wanted a candle to get her house smelling good for a bday party. So I gave her the coffee remembering how it filled my house. It did NOTHING. I thought she was exaggeratting and brought it back to my house and tested. NOTHING not even enough to fill a bathroom. HOw could it go from so strong to nothing? Ever had this happen to you?

Did you have it in plastic by chance? I hadn't have that happen but the opposite on one I had run across that was quite a few years old. It got stronger. But it was made of 415.

Don't know if that helps. Maybe someone who has had this actually happen will chime in.

GL

This happened to me after I tested 464. I decided to stay with my 415 but the candle I made, several months later smelled like nothing. It wasn't NG oils but ME oils. Very weird thing!

Today I'm burning a candle I made 2 years ago with NG Black Cherry Bomb and it is filling my whole house. I use 415.

I have had this with 464- when I first started with it a long time ago

I made some testers with a Mediterranean fig type smell and loved it- found one that had been burned a little tucked in a drawer and relit it and nothing....and it looked horrid- morphed bumpy creature looking thing ... I was new to the wax when I made them so I chalked it up beginners unluck

But I switched since then to 415 and don't have any straight 464 candles left to see if it does the same - I have a few with beeswax added to it and burn them occasionally and they seem fine

I don't know the answer but it has happened for me to

this was in a glass jar with a screw on lid. The friend burned 3 other candles, all made with 464 at the same time, and they all burned and smelled good. I found one of the coffee scent tester jars in my garage. It was a little under halfway full, with no lid on it. I lit it and it burned and smelled good! So its not the oil and its not the wax................all I can figure is that I used a cd-10 in one and a cd-8 in the other...............I cant find my notes. Do you think one wick size could change it that much? I had this happen years ago when I first started. It was with an oil from Bluegrass (Their oils are always great for me) so I don't think it was the oil..............Im wondering if it is my "making" process, like if it was stirred enough or something? This just doesn't make sense to me but scares me. Because you feel like you have a working formula for good candles and then something like this happens.............

Edited by leenabug

• 2 weeks later...

I was just considering the temp of the wax when poured, myself. When pouring a tester its usually at my whim. When pouring candles its usually when rushed. I normally add the fo at 170 to 180 degrees, but when rushed, I suspect sometimes it drops down to 160 by the time added. Do you think the wax need to be pretty hot for the fo to "mix" properly into the wax?