Ideas for Preserving Bulk Soaping Ingredients

JanetsCandles

I figured I would start a thread on how to save yourself some time and money. I work primarily candles, but do at least one or two batches of CP soap every month. So for me, it's difficult to keep certain perishable ingredients around for a long time. I'm talking about veggie purees that you may want to use in soaps for color, or liquids that have to be sealed and refrigerated, but don't have a long shelf life once they have been opened. With the exception of oils, many of our ingredients can be frozen for around a year, sometimes longer. This becomes an excellent idea for a new soaper, or someone like me that doesn't do it often, or even for those people who buy in super bulk and want a bit longer to use their ingredients.

Milks, liquid teas, coffee, beer, etc. can be frozen in ice cube trays or silicone cupcake liners, then removed from the molds and put into a labeled ziploc freezer bag. When you want to make soap with the ingredient, weigh out the desired amount of iced cubes and thaw in a covered bowl or pitcher before using. You can boil the beer before freezing so you have one less step before actually using the ingredient.

post-13471-139458505555_thumb.jpg These are packages of yogurt that I have weighed out into different amounts and sealed into kitchen saver bags. I heat sealed sections of the bags into an approximate 2x3 inch section, leaving one side open at the "top" for adding the yogurt. There is approximately 2 lbs of yogurt here. I wrote on each individual pack what was in it, how much, and on the flip side, the date. When I want to use a packet, I simply cut it off the row (the kitchen saver sealer thing has a wider heat seal strip than my heat sealer, so it gives plenty of space to cut between the packets without opening the neighboring packet), thaw overnight, and use like normal the following day in my soap. You would do the same with fruit or veggie purees.

Do you guys have any other ideas for bulk storage and preservation of your soaping supplies?

I may have to break down and get a Kitchen Saver Sealer. I think the food will keep nicer than just in a ziploc bag. I do soap more often but sometimes don't get a batch in before the yogurt or what have you expires. Think I would save more money if I portion it out first then just pull what I need.

I don't have any other tips. But, thank you for sharing yours.

Why do you put yogurt in? Kind of like a puree or something?

Are you asking why I put yogurt in soap? I do use it in cp because it helps with moisturizing skin as well. I like the way it makes my skin feel for sure.

PMM, Yes, mine is a vacuum sealer, but it has issues when you're using a more liquid type food in it. So I didn't use the vacuum portion on this batch. It wanted to just suck it all out.

Quiet, yogurt is wonderful in CP. One of my favorite additives along with beer. I was very surprised how nice beer, or even tea, can make the bar feel on your skin. Carrot puree is also nice. But, I use the baby food version of that so keeps on the shelf just fine.

Janet, good point on the sealer. Probably not a good thing to use the vac with that. I've never seen one in action so don't know how strong the suction is. Do you think the vacuum is worth it on a sealer. Been looking at the FoodSavers and none of them have glowing reviews. People either like them or they don't so the ratings are right in the middle.

Don't like the food saver? I can't imagine why. I love mine, use it more than I ever thought. Bags are expensive but better than throwing away food. I seal in portions like you for dog food. A bit of carrots, rice and beef or chicken, now it's turkey. My dog is spoiled! Just put some celery in a container that seals and it has stayed fresh for a couple of weeks, the cut ends turned but the stalks are crisp still. We seal chips and pretzels any snack every time we use. My tip would be to keep it on the counter and plugged in. When I had to pull it out every time to use, it did not get used near as much. Also if you buy some attachments you can seal Mason Jars using the canning lid. I do this for brown sugar to help keep it soft.

Plain yogurt? And doesnt it go bad in the soap? Do you have to do anything special with it?

Yep, plain yogurt. I add mine either at trace or with the other oils, either works well. Nothing special to do with it. I've got a set of bars, unwrapped, that I've had for over 6 months (private supply at this point, made a bigger batch later for sale) and it is absolutely gorgeous. No DOS, nothing.

Janet, good point on the sealer. Probably not a good thing to use the vac with that. I've never seen one in action so don't know how strong the suction is. Do you think the vacuum is worth it on a sealer. Been looking at the FoodSavers and none of them have glowing reviews. People either like them or they don't so the ratings are right in the middle.

I love mine. I use it for cooking as well as the stuff for soaping. DH got it for me last Christmas when I was complaining that I kept getting freezer burned meat. Haven't had a problem since. The vacuum is good in it, but if you have an air leak in the bag (either from a fold or something like that) it doesn't suck out as much air and you have to either reseat the bag or just seal it as is. Either way works fine. I do use mine for brown sugar, too, but if you vacuum it in a bag, it compresses the sugar into a boulder. I need to try it in a container instead.

If any of you have an impulse sealer you can seal your chip bags with it. I quit using my foodsaver sealer about 5 yrs ago, because the bags just became to expensive. I have had my sealer for over 15 years and now I find I like wrapping with the new sticky paper