Rite Hete Wax Melter

Folks,

first, let me precede my post by saying that I am not affiliated with Rite Hete, and I do not get any $$$ for posting this review.

I have been making candles for 6+ years now. I started using a double boiler on the stove. That didn't last long. I soon got my first presto pot. I used them extensively, and after three years or so I started selling my candles and wax melts. I had to upgrade to a Turkey Fryer at KMart. The first one was soon too small, so I bought the Turkey frier XL at Costco. Then, in February last year, WalMart sold their fall stuff pretty cheap, and I got another turkey frier. Having three turkey friers and a five presto pots I was pretty happy.

Forward to Fall 2011. Candle fundraiser - 700 candles to make. I was sweating, and the turkey friers weren't able to keep up with me. But, I made it to the deadline. FOrward to Summer 2012. Turkey frier 1 and 2 broke. Fall 2012 new fundraiser. Turkey frier 3 broke.

Dilemma - what should I do - turkey friers are $100 if not on sale... Long research, a loan and convincing the better half I purchased a Rite Hete 10 Gallon VRS-40 heater. Yes, they are expensive. Very. Shipping is half the cost of a turkey frier. They are big. Heavy.

However, that ingenious thing comes with TWO blankets to melt wax. Upper and lower. I heated the melter per instructions, and put 65 lbs of wax in it. Two hours later I had a lot of liquid wax. The spout is great. Makes a little bit of a mess, but doable. Uses about $1.10 in electricity if run all day. Great craftsmanship - it's stainless steel. Seems to be able to live through a zombie apocalypse.

So, if you are in the market for one, check them out. It seems that a couple of candle suppliers sell them as well... but... buy directly from them. It's cheaper.

www.ritehete.com

Have fun!

Thanks for the review...I have eyeballed the 40qt water jacketed melter...I looked at it again just now and still want it!! It doesn't look like it has any feet to keep it off of the counter. Perhaps someday I will call them...I am sure that they would put feet on it if I requested. But anyhoo...Alpha...I am so happy for YOU...it certainly sounds like it is worth its weight in gold and will save you tons of time!!! Good for you!!!:yay:

We use a water jacketed melter that holds 100 lb of wax and it has feet on it, spout and I can't imagine doing it any other way. Word of warning however, make sure you have a backup heating element around. They will go out overnight just like a water heater and it happened to us last fall in the middle of fundraiser/show season. Happened on a Thursday, I called and ordered first thing Friday morning and paid for express shipping. Received it Monday and my husband installed Monday night but we were not able to start producing again until Tuesday morning. 4-5 days production lost with about 2000 candles to make.

Now that reminds me, I need to order another heating element.

While we don't have this model I cannot say enough how much more speedy it is having one of the large melters :)

We got a direct heat (100lbs) melter off of another candle company that closed shop a while back but still use our little turkey fryer from time to time :)

We use a water jacketed melter that holds 100 lb of wax and it has feet on it, spout and I can't imagine doing it any other way. Word of warning however, make sure you have a backup heating element around. They will go out overnight just like a water heater and it happened to us last fall in the middle of fundraiser/show season. Happened on a Thursday, I called and ordered first thing Friday morning and paid for express shipping. Received it Monday and my husband installed Monday night but we were not able to start producing again until Tuesday morning. 4-5 days production lost with about 2000 candles to make.

Now that reminds me, I need to order another heating element.

While we don't have this model I cannot say enough how much more speedy it is having one of the large melters :)

We got a direct heat (100lbs) melter off of another candle company that closed shop a while back but still use our little turkey fryer from time to time :)

It has got to be awesome to have a large melter!!! I wouldn't know what to think if I could put the whole slabs in...keep it on all night and start making candles the second I am ready!! Oh, that would be heaven!!! :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

The website doesn't give you any idea of the price! I'm very curious--I just finished a fundraiser that ordered over 600 candles and I'm using one presto pot. Not I understand why I had such a hard time handling this fundraiser!!! I thought it was because of the 3 days I was sick and couldn't pour, along with a couple of wholesale orders at the same time. I've been debating getting a turkey fryer but wasn't sure if I did enough business for it to be worthwhile--now I want one of these!!!

Mercy, I wouldn't be able to function this time of year without ours. I can fill it up at the end of they day and come out the next day and squeeze about 150 candles out of it and then fill it up for the next day. I got lucky. We purchased an existing business when we got started making candles and she already had the 100lb melter so I haven't done it any other way. I do use a presto pot for melts however. This time of year I can't imagine surviving. 600 candles with a presto makes my feet hurt just thinking about it. Don't know how much a turkey fryer cost some where around $150. You can get a 70lb water jacketed for about $800 from candlewic. I am thinking of investing in a second one just so we can increase production for the fall months. You figure if you could pick up a couple more 600 candle fundraisers it would pay for itself pretty quick. However most fundraisers usually aren't that much but you never know.

The website doesn't give you any idea of the price! I'm very curious--I just finished a fundraiser that ordered over 600 candles and I'm using one presto pot. Not I understand why I had such a hard time handling this fundraiser!!! I thought it was because of the 3 days I was sick and couldn't pour, along with a couple of wholesale orders at the same time. I've been debating getting a turkey fryer but wasn't sure if I did enough business for it to be worthwhile--now I want one of these!!!

redraider, thanks for that info! That's really much less than I expected. Definitely would be worthwhile if I had many of that size fundrainser, but this group usually does them twice a year and, like you said, most others aren't that size. I would love to get several of those, though--if I did I'd definitely be ordering a wax melter!