Question about dancing flame.

I recently tested a new fragrance with soy. The first two hours it burned great but I notice as the candle burned more in to where the jar gets wider the flame danced around a little. Not much, If I wasn't a picky candle maker I probably wouldn't even notice. There was no soot and no mushrooming. I read somewhere else that a lilttle bit of "throbbing" or "dancing" is ok At first. That the time to worry is if it is constant and soot and shrooms appear. Should I worry?

• Like 1

I recently tested a new fragrance with soy. The first two hours it burned great but I notice as the candle burned more in to where the jar gets wider the flame danced around a little. Not much, If I wasn't a picky candle maker I probably wouldn't even notice. There was no soot and no mushrooming. I read somewhere else that a lilttle bit of "throbbing" or "dancing" is ok At first. That the time to worry is if it is constant and soot and shrooms appear. Should I worry?

Boy, can I relate to being picky on how the candles burn regarding dancing flames :)

IMO....If there was no soot, no mushrooming, no FMP until 3rd burn and not too hot of jar, I wouldn't worry about the candle itself yet but more in if its going to be acceptable to you.

I can't tolerate flames that dance a lot, sorta lay on their side or burn around the lower part of the wick. I will pull that wick and go for another.

In my experience only, what I've found is if they begin dancing quite a bit early, they are only going to dance worse later. But everyone has different results.

GL & HTH

I actually don't make a judgement on my test burns until the 3rd or 4th burn. Unless the 1st burn is just totally horrible. I am currently testing a candle right now on a first burn. I am a little over 2 & 1/2 hours in. The flame "bounced" a little but not enough to worry about. I cracked the screen on my smartphone otherwise I would make a video and show you, Continue to test. And something to keep in mind.... I learned years ago you can do everything in your power to get an even burning smooth flame but if the person who purchases the candle does not practice "safe candle burning" ( trim wicks, 4 hour burn and so on) the flame is going to act up. You need to do your part but your customer needs to do theirs as well.

So basically the flame has a mind of it's own and as long as the candle isn't smoking, or the flame isn't 3" high, and the jar isn't black it should be ok? I don't know why I am stressing on the flame so much because otherwise the candle is burning great.

So basically the flame has a mind of it's own and as long as the candle isn't smoking, or the flame isn't 3" high, and the jar isn't black it should be ok? I don't know why I am stressing on the flame so much because otherwise the candle is burning great.

It sounds like your candle is fine. Have you ever visited a Catholic chapel? They have some very tall thin container candles that burn perfectly for days on end with no wick trimming, and they're never extinguished, and there's no soot or smoke, but the flame is constantly dancing and never get's too big because it's some kind of self-trimming wick. Those candles are amazing!

Edited by HorsescentS

Stop stressin'! Your candle is fine You could have the perfect wick/wax/Fo combination and your flame will still dance because as previously stated as the candle burns down in to the jar the lack of oxygen will make the flame flicker, dance, throb. As long as you don't have a mushroom at the end of the wick or the flame is not so tall it looks like a smoke stack from a mill, it's fine. For my own personal preference when I test my jars, I don't make any assumptions until the candle has burned all the way down. I have a check list I go through. 1.) is there soot even the slightest on the jar - no- Good. 2.) Has the wick shroomed at all during the burn - no - Good. 3.) Is there any hangup left on the jar - no - Good. 4.) HT - Good 5.) is the jar hot to the touch - no - good.

That's bascially what you need to be looking for. The actual flame should be the least of your worries. Some people find a dancing flame relaxing and calming.

Edited by SparkysCandles

• 11 years later...
On 10/29/2012 at 9:22 AM, HookieBear said:

Hi, I'm a beginner myself. I have the this flame dancing issues as well.. here is what I can understand, the candles I made myself, the flame 🔥 be dancing or and sometimes the wick lean to one side and the flame gets lower from the wick itself, but the candles I bought from the store flame 🔥 doesn't dance . I'm using IGI-6006 wax, but I'm Not what type of wax inside the candle I bought.