Salt bars

venus78

Hi,

I'm going to make a batch of salt bar and here's what I'm going to do after reading some posts:

coconut 80%

castor 5%

cocoa butter 15%

sf 10%

water discount: should it be 20% or the usual 38% ?

I'm going to add sea salt the same weight as the oils at trace, put it in the mold and let it harden without insulating.

cut it as soon as it gets hard, about an hour after putting it in the mold.

I'll make half of the usual recipe for the mold since it's half oil half salt, but double the eo.

Do they need to cure 4 weeks like soap bars too?

I appreciate your comments. icon_smile.gif

You can use whatever water discount you usually use.

You shouldn't double the EO. The EO should be based on the oil weight, like what you would normally do.

Curing time should be the same as other soaps, or even longer. The longer, the better for lather.

For your oil amount, try doing 60% of your normal recipe instead of half. The salt doesn't quite double the volume of the batch.

Make about 3/4 of the recipe the salt will only add about 1/4 volume to the batch. If using 100% Salt I would leave the water at 38%

Barbara

What if I'm using salt 80% of the oils weight, should I still discount water 38%?

Personally, I'd get rid of the cocoa butter and sub something else in because CB is so hard. Salt bars are hard enough on their own. JMO :)

Yes, they need to cure. The longer the better but I cure mine for at least a month. That's making CP bars.

I personally do not like salt bars made with anything other than 90% coconut oil and 10% castor. I tried one with cocoa butter and it dragged across my skin. Oh and I make goat milk salt bars.

GM salt bars sound really interesting. Do you find the GM adds to the creamy lather, versus one without GM?

I personally do not like salt bars made with anything other than 90% coconut oil and 10% castor. I tried one with cocoa butter and it dragged across my skin. Oh and I make goat milk salt bars.

How much do you superfat? do you use 1:1 ratio of sea salt to oils?

Edited by venus78

Not sure if you're interested, but I learned to make my salt bars right here in this forum. Grumpy girl held a class which is in the tutorial section, link below. I don't use as many colors all the time but the recipe makes a great salt bar!http://www.craftserver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62435&highlight=grumpy+girl+salt

Edited by KristineG