Ky Para-Soy Tart & Votive Blend Dimples on surface

I remember reading about this before, but couldn't really find the answer on my search. What am I doing wrong, or is this a property of this wax?

I got some to test and see if I like it and I'm used to soy and a flat creamy top on all my clamshells.

I heated to 170 added FO at 165, poured somewhere around 150.

Working with this is so much different than my soy but I enjoy learning.

Can someone let me know about the waves and ripples and if there is anything I could do to make smoother tops?

You either have to pour really cool or add 20% soy to your mix for smooth tops. I've found people don't really care how they look as long as they smell and perform well. But, I'm like you, I wanted smooth tops so I added the add'l soy.

It will require a longer cure because of the add'l soy. Never really know but it is reported the KY wax is a 70/30 blend so adding the add'l soy would make it approx. 50/50. I always look for oils that are good throwers in soy. Try a test batch or two and see how you like it. Also try test batches without the soy to compare.

I tested Peaks Key Lime last night. I didn't know if I needed to give a curing time or not, so I've not tried burning it yet, I'm itching to though! This morning it smells marvelous in the clamshell. 70/30 with the Paraffin being the higher?

I burned one cube today, from 8 am until 4 pm and still going. I'll see how it does after the weekend cure.

I'm also going to try some with a little PB added possibly.

It is going to take some getting used to pouring, as it isn't as forgiving with the ambient temp as soy.

I had to go out of town and didn't get to pour anything else other than Peaks Key Lime. I'm not satisfied with the hot throw. It completely fizzles out after about 6 hours. I am going to test test this weekend.

This wax is much messier since it is granulated. Any suggestions on handling it?

I tried KY Parasoy Tart wax a few months back after hearing so many good things on the forum. However, my results were similar to yours and I tested several fragrance oils from a few different companies. The cold throw was great, but the duration of the hot throw was not what I expected. Six hours is about what I got as well. Since everyone's experience with the same combinations can be different, I'd reccomend trying a few other fragrance oils before you give up on it.

I just started to test Suzy's combo of PB & Xcel. I've only poured Peak's Bartlett Pear and its only cured for three days, but the cold throw is impressive so far. Haven't tested hot throw yet but I am hoping its a winner.

Well I have an excellent 415 soy only blend that I love and use, and lasts.... however, I was trying to see if this would work better, and I wanted to use some color for upcoming fall and winter. I've heard that this blend is the best but with my initial testing I'm not having the best results. I'm going to also add some soy to it etc. If not I'm sticking to my old ways. I won't give up yet though.

When the fragrance is gone from this blend....it is completely gone and all you can smell is paraffin. When the fragrance fizzles in my own soy wax...it still remains, only in a lighter version. Interesting. I may have accidently added my FO at a higher temp because I thought 165 sounded too low. I'm going to try that next.

Also, is everyone using 10% with this wax? I use generally for most all FO's 8% and that is what I used for the above test. I'm re-reading the instructions and it says recommended 10%. That is so much more FO than I am used to using.

I heated to about 170 and poured at 155, per my interpretation of their instructions lol (Heat to 165, pour at 155-160). I tried a range of 6-10% FO and still could not get over the six hour peak. I played with it for a while, but got antsy to try something else. I still have a lot left, so I'll probably keep experimenting at some point. Sometimes I think I am too impatient for candle making lol.

Let me know if you find out what makes the difference!

I tried KY Parasoy Tart wax a few months back after hearing so many good things on the forum. However, my results were similar to yours and I tested several fragrance oils from a few different companies. The cold throw was great, but the duration of the hot throw was not what I expected. Six hours is about what I got as well. Since everyone's experience with the same combinations can be different, I'd reccomend trying a few other fragrance oils before you give up on it.

I just started to test Suzy's combo of PB & Xcel. I've only poured Peak's Bartlett Pear and its only cured for three days, but the cold throw is impressive so far. Haven't tested hot throw yet but I am hoping its a winner.

I have been using Suzy's blend also and it is amazing!!! The cold throw for me is not near what PB/415 is BUT the HT and duration far outdoes it so far- love this combo so far

I had a WSP Vetyver going from 8 to 5 today at work and it is strong - tomorrow I am hoping it still goes strong from 8 to 3!