Wicking 4627 Comfort Blend in Dollar Tree status jar

I'm all out of jj's and can't buy new ones for a couple of days, but I want to pour my new replacement bottle of Peak's Mulberry tonight so I can see how it compares to the old mislabeled bottle they sent me. I only have Dollar Tree status jars left, but I know I can't single wick 4627 in that 3" dia. jar. I'll have to double wick it, if it's even possible, and the smallest HTP wicks I have left are 83. I also have HTP 93, 104, 105, 1212, and 126. I also have 62z.

So, is it possible to wick Comfort Blend in the Dollar Tree status jar with what I've got to work with? I'll use 7 or 8% FO load of Peak's Mulberry (they sent me a replacement bottle because the first one was mislabeled - probably Spruceberry) and no dye.

I also have the Libbey heart bowl, and I could do that one instead if somebody knows for sure that I have the right wicks to make Comfort Blend work in that container. TIA :wink2:

Edited by HorsescentS

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try a 105 in it. I've got no idea how Mulberry performs, if you have to wick up or not, but I've used the 105 in that diameter status jar (was from Lonestar, not Dollar Tree) with the 4627 and a very sweet cotton candy FO. Didn't have problems with it.

Try a 105 in it. I've got no idea how Mulberry performs, if you have to wick up or not, but I've used the 105 in that diameter status jar (was from Lonestar, not Dollar Tree) with the 4627 and a very sweet cotton candy FO. Didn't have problems with it.

Really? Wow! That is so amazing! Thank you so much! :D I'm thrilled I'll get to try my new Mulberry now. :D Peak's Mulberry seems to have a cinnamon note, so maybe I'll make two: one with a 105 and the other with a 1212 at 8% FO load.

Edited by HorsescentS

P.S. I just realized that the status jars from Lone Star are much thicker glass than the ones from Dollar Tree, so the heat from the thick glass helps a lot. I don't know if I can do it with Dollar Tree status jars, but I'll try.

I have used alot of CS oils in that size jar at an 8 percent load with an HTP 73-HTP 83 and 44-24-18c. Great results with all of them. Just started messing around with an eco 2 so far so good with 4627 egyptian amber and 8 % load

So, you can wick 4627 Comfort Blend with HTP 73 or 83 in the 3" dia Dollar Tree Status jar? Or are you thinking of the narrower diameter Libbey status jar and/or Anchor metro jar?

I've been using HTP-83 to wick comfort blend with 8% FO load in the 8 oz quilted jelly jar and the Libbey Elemental jar, but I think they'd be too small in the Dollar Tree status jar because it's much wider. I might need to wick down to an HTP-73 in my jelly jars with lighter FOs, because the Peak's Peppermint Kiss is getting a bit too hot with the HTP-83 in that jar.

Edited by HorsescentS

Ok Horsescents after reading this thread I made a few 12oz status jars with 4627, FOs from CC & MWs. 5, 6 or 7%. I'm trying HTP105s, I'll let you know, never worked before but.......

Thank you, ChandlerWicks! Hopefully, I'll be making mine later this evening. Meant to make them a couple of days ago, but things come up and then after I deal with everything I'm pooped.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24257[/ATTACH]This is after the 1st 3 hour burn. 5% Cherished CC FO.

That's what I would expect Comfort Blend to do in that jar with an HTP-105, because it's thin glass and there's no neck so the wick has to do all the work, but maybe there will be a dramatic improvement after it burns halfway down?

I have HTP-1212 and 126, so I can try those tonight. I don't have the HTP-1312, though, and I wish I had that one to try. Last time I tried the HTP-126 in Comfort Blend it smoked too much, but I'm using a lower FO load now, so maybe it will work?

I can send you some. The 1312 has always smoked & torched in any wax tho. i'm going to burn it all the way with the 105.

Thank you, ChandlerWicks! But, if that's the case, maybe there's no point in us trying the 1312 or the 126 in Comfort Blend in that jar? I'll make one tonight with the HTP-1212.

I'm trying a 126 in 7% MWs Merlin's Forest. I have to keep pulling it up to make the wick longer. I'll try 1212 in the other 2 jars I made.

So, is the HTP-126 drowning because it's melting the wax too fast? is that why you keep having to pull it up?

Oh but the HT from this wax is still amazing! I've been testing other waxes, but 4627 has them all beat. I just poured these 4 jars at 12 noon today & it's already stonger then all the others!

I agree, the HT is worth it! I love Comfort Blend. I'll pour 8% Peak's Mulberry with an HTP-1212 tonight.

So horsescents how is your 1212 doing? I tried CDs, the HT is not as strong with them.

I haven't burned them yet. So, you think the HTP-105 is too small and the HTP-1212 is too big? Darn! I'm still going to burn mine anyway. But, I think double-wicking with 2 HTP-83's would be too much, wouldn't it? That's like using 2 51z wicks. I hope we can figure out how to double-wick this jar with Comfort Blend, because I love the super-duper HT from double wicking anyway.

I went back to the 1212s & cut shorter. So far , so good. The flame is higher then I like, but not any higher then the Yankee one I tested. As far as double-wicking haven't been able to do it in this size jar. Gets too hot.

Okay, I've completed my first 3-hour burn session with both candles. I did not dye them, just left them white. I used 8% Peak's Mulberry, which according to Alan's chart is 1.30 oz of FO and 14.7 oz of wax. I only used Tacky Wax to temporarily stick the wicks down, so I couldn't pull them tight and twist them to make an evenly centered melt pool, so my melt pools are not perfectly centered like yours.

But the HTP-105 MP looks a bit larger than the pic you posted of yours, and I'm not giving up on that wick yet.

The HTP-1212 is looking even better, like I should have a FMP by the third burn session.

I trimmed the wicks to 1/4" before lighting. They both burned nice and clean with nice steady flames.

I think the fact that you dyed yours a dark color and I left mine white is making my MP a little bit bigger than yours, maybe.

My HTP-1212 jar was warm, but not hot; and the HTP-105 jar was barely warm.

I don't know how to post pics, but I'll try to get someone in my family to post them for me later. I feel encouraged!

Edited by HorsescentS

Even though I am using a parasoy blend based on 4630, I see some similarities as to what we are both trying to accomplish. I am wicking a jelly jar and previously settled on a CD-14 wick but I've been so pleased with the HTP wicks in smaller jars that I am going to re-test the Jar with HTP-104 or HTP-105 (as a start). I find the reduced flame height on the HTP vs CD a definite benefit with a paraffin based wax.

Even though I am using a parasoy blend based on 4630, I see some similarities as to what we are both trying to accomplish. I am wicking a jelly jar and previously settled on a CD-14 wick but I've been so pleased with the HTP wicks in smaller jars that I am going to re-test the Jar with HTP-104 or HTP-105 (as a start). I find the reduced flame height on the HTP vs CD a definite benefit with a paraffin based wax.

I've been getting perfect results wicking 8 oz jelly jars and Libbey Elemental jars in Comfort Blend with HTP-83 wicks. I'm not dying my candles and am using 8% FO load.

Wick isn't attached, just got lucky. I do think the dye makes a big difference. I used a CS dye diamond in 8oz each of NGs Joy & Wow waxes & can't find a wick big enough. I'm able to wick both of those waxes perfectly with CD 7s & the correct amount of dye. Wish the HT was as strong as 4627.

Okay, I've completed my first 3-hour burn session with both candles. I did not dye them, just left them white. I used 8% Peak's Mulberry, which according to Alan's chart is 1.30 oz of FO and 14.7 oz of wax. I only used Tacky Wax to temporarily stick the wicks down, so I couldn't pull them tight and twist them to make an evenly centered melt pool, so my melt pools are not perfectly centered like yours.

But the HTP-105 MP looks a bit larger than the pic you posted of yours, and I'm not giving up on that wick yet.

The HTP-1212 is looking even better, like I should have a FMP by the third burn session.

I trimmed the wicks to 1/4" before lighting. They both burned nice and clean with nice steady flames.

I think the fact that you dyed yours a dark color and I left mine white is making my MP a little bit bigger than yours, maybe.

My HTP-1212 jar was warm, but not hot; and the HTP-105 jar was barely warm.

I don't know how to post pics, but I'll try to get someone in my family to post them for me later. I feel encouraged!

I went back to the 1212s & cut shorter. So far , so good. The flame is higher then I like, but not any higher then the Yankee one I tested. As far as double-wicking haven't been able to do it in this size jar. Gets too hot.

Here's the pic that goes with my comment about my test results from my first 3-hour burn session results, posted above. post-13107-139458499046_thumb.jpg The candle on your left with the blue clothes pin above it is the HTP-1212, and the thinnest part of the hang up is less than 1/16". The candle on your right is the HTP-105, and the thinnest part of the hang up is 1/8" at the most. If you see some wax streaks on the top of the glass, it's from where I fished a tiny dead moth out of the MP.