Wicking 4627 Comfort Blend in Dollar Tree status jar

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They look much cleaner then mine with dye!

I like the look of white candles lately, and so far I think it's easier to wick the 4627 without dye, if I'm not imagining things. But, I want to make them look even whiter, especially since some of the FOs discolor the wax, so I'm going to try using the white liquid EVO dye from Candlewic when they get it back in stock.

So, you can wick 4627 Comfort Blend with HTP 73 or 83 in the 3" dia Dollar Tree Status jar? Or are you thinking of the narrower diameter Libbey status jar and/or Anchor metro jar?

I've been using HTP-83 to wick comfort blend with 8% FO load in the 8 oz quilted jelly jar and the Libbey Elemental jar, but I think they'd be too small in the Dollar Tree status jar because it's much wider. I might need to wick down to an HTP-73 in my jelly jars with lighter FOs, because the Peak's Peppermint Kiss is getting a bit too hot with the HTP-83 in that jar.

I have used all the wicks above with great results in the libbey jar and dollar tree status jar. They are both the 3 inch round ones.

I have used all the wicks above with great results in the libbey jar and dollar tree status jar. They are both the 3 inch round ones.

But, are you sure was it 4627 Comfort Blend wax that you were able to wick with HTP-83 in the 3" diameter jars?

I hope it's not rude of me to double-check by asking again.

Edited by HorsescentS

The exact specifications are: status jar, 4627 from cs ( about 4 months ago)CS egyptian amber 8% load. Medium brown dye. CS HTP wicks. i just tried a 1212 in a candle and got an insane flame.

My flames with the HTP-105 and the HTP-1212 were very nice 3/4" or less well-behaved flames. This is making me wonder if the CS HTP wicks are quite different than the HTP wicks I get from Peak's. Or if perhaps they were mislabeled?

Edited by HorsescentS

My flames with the HTP-105 and the HTP-1212 were very nice 3/4" or less well-behaved flames. This is making me wonder if the CS HTP wicks are quite different than the HTP wicks I get from Peak's.

Its been awhile since i used peaks wicks. When i did i didnt notice and major difference. I also used wicks from EAC and they are the same as cs.

Def let me know your results as im curious now. Makes no sense that there is that different of results.

Yes, I'll keep posting pics. I'll finish my second burn session in 2 1/2 hours from now and will post pics. I edited my post above to say that maybe CS mislabeled the size on their HTP wicks?

Edited by HorsescentS

Pics after 2nd three-hour burn session. post-13107-13945849906_thumb.jpg It's hard to see what's going on in this pic, but the candle on your left with the blue clothespin above it is the HTP-1212, and it's close to achieving an FMP, so I"m sure it'll have FMP on the 3rd burn. The candle on your right is the HTP-105 and it's doing pretty good, but has a smaller MP with more hang up. I have candle nose and can't smell these at all, but my family assures me they're very strong.

I can't smell mine either. I did try HTP83, the flame got small, ugly & mushroomy. But only left 1/4 hang-up, so wondering if somewhere inbetween 83 & 105 might work better then the 1212. I'll let you know.

Interesting. I just started my 3rd burn session, so I'll post pics in three hours from now.

I forgot this is with the CC FO. The MW FO definitely has to have a 1212 or 126. Burning those to the bitter end even tho the flame is on the large side. So your wicks aren't getting mushrooms?

No, I'm not getting any mushrooms so far. HTP-126 is the hottest HTP wick, and it's smoked like a chimney for me in other jars, is it smoking for you? How big is the flame? I would try a 1213 before the 126.

Okay, finished the 3rd burn, and there is still hang up on one side of the jars, but I think that's because I didn't twist the wick due to it being tacked down with Tacky Wax. The wax in the MP of the HTP-1212 candle is a golden color, but in the HTP-105 candle it's white. I wonder if the hotter temp of the HTP-1212 is doing that. Both jars were warm, not hot.

Edited by HorsescentS

It could be the MWs FO Merlin's Forest or too much dye. I know the charts have 126 listed as hotter but sometimes it's not. I'm getting mushrooms with each wick size. The flames are about 3/4".

No, I'm not getting any mushrooms so far. HTP-126 is the hottest HTP wick, and it's smoked like a chimney for me in other jars, is it smoking for you? How big is the flame? I would try a 1213 before the 126.

Is your plan to sell candles dyeless? I need to pour some more without dye to see if mushrooms go away.

Okay, finished the 3rd burn, and there is still hang up on one side of the jars, but I think that's because I didn't twist the wick due to it being tacked down with Tacky Wax. The wax in the MP of the HTP-1212 candle is a golden color, but in the HTP-105 candle it's white. I wonder if the hotter temp of the HTP-1212 is doing that. Both jars were warm, not hot.

Is your plan to sell candles dyeless? I need to pour some more without dye to see if mushrooms go away.

I think I will sell white candles, but I think they need some white liquid EVO dye to look their best. I'm still not getting any mushrooms. I'm wondering if the golden color of the wax in the HTP-1212 MP is due to scorching? But the flame wasn't big and the jar wasn't hot. I've got too much wax hangup with both of those wicks, but I really think if I had twisted the wick the hangup might be gone by now, but I'm not sure.

If we double-wicked that jar with small wicks, maybe it wouldn't get too hot.

I tried 2 36-24-24Z & full MP within 1/2 hour. So far 1212 is working in 2 of the jars & 105 in the other 2. Still have 1/16 hang-up in all jars after 5 burns. I'm going to pour 4627 & NGs waxes dyeless with same FO & test against each other. NGs are so much easier to wick, maybe I just have candlenose since I can't smell the 4627 either!!!!!!

I tried 2 36-24-24Z & full MP within 1/2 hour. So far 1212 is working in 2 of the jars & 105 in the other 2. Still have 1/16 hang-up in all jars after 5 burns. I'm going to pour 4627 & NGs waxes dyeless with same FO & test against each other. NGs are so much easier to wick, maybe I just have candlenose since I can't smell the 4627 either!!!!!!

I started my 4th burn about 40 minutes ago, so I'll keep ya posted. Yes, other waxes are much easier to wick than 4627, but I'm definitely committed to working with 4627 now, so I have to make it work with whatever jar I choose, if at all possible.