Aroma bead ornies

britt94any

I’m new to making aroma bead ornaments and I can’t seem to get my scents to stay after I bake them! I feel like they’re strong(ish) in the jar but after I bake them, the scent goes almost completely away. I bake them at 350 for about 7 mins and I’m using beads and fragrances from scentdeals.com (because that’s what a YouTube tutorial had suggested).. any tips/tricks on making these? Or even recommendations on who to order my fragrance oils/ beads from?? 

I have never heard of scent deals.com. Was the YouTube video sponsored by them? I would suspect that you are using inferior materials (lord that sounded snobbish, lol). The quality of the materials you start with really does have a huge impact on your finished product. I highly recommend Bitter Creek or Nature's Garden for aroma bead supplies.

You could also search "aroma beads" in the search box on the main page of the forum, and tons of threads with info about suppliers will pop up for you to look at. 😄

19 hours ago, britt94any said:

I’m new to making aroma bead ornaments and I can’t seem to get my scents to stay after I bake them! I feel like they’re strong(ish) in the jar but after I bake them, the scent goes almost completely away. I bake them at 350 for about 7 mins and I’m using beads and fragrances from scentdeals.com (because that’s what a YouTube tutorial had suggested).. any tips/tricks on making these? Or even recommendations on who to order my fragrance oils/ beads from?? 

I've been making these for a few years now and just recently have been having tons of problems with them. I've tried Scent Deals beads and if I'm not mistaken they are the Prime beads that Aroma beads online has switched to and that's when my problems started. I have some beads from Cajun's that are working pretty good and just got beads in from NG. I'm having the same issues you are having with some scents not seeming to stay in the beads and also them not cooking in the middle and falling out. It's very frustrating because it costs money to do all of this testing especially after you had your system down and weren't having problems.

Are you letting your beads dry before you bake them? What amount of fragrance are you using in your beads? Where are you getting your fragrances and which ones did you use? Some fragrance just isn't going to be strong and what smells strong to you may not to the next person and vice versa. Leather seems to be a hard one to get to stick in the beads for me and yet that's what most people want.

Man, this has been driving Belinda and I crazy for months! We have both been having these issues and they just started. I think Cajun has recently changed beads because my Last order from there has been a huge flop and they are lasting literally a day. I really Like Bitter Creek but I recently had one of those melt in a customer’s car :( I am just lost. I order Strong scents and they just aren’t lasting. I don’t know What to do anymore. Belinda, i just Made a Black Ice with our regular old beads and just put it in the truck today and can’t smell it one bit! 

If anyone else has any suggestions i would Love to hear them as well! 

On 6/15/2018 at 5:11 PM, Skk5233 said:

Man, this has been driving Belinda and I crazy for months! We have both been having these issues and they just started. I think Cajun has recently changed beads because my Last order from there has been a huge flop and they are lasting literally a day. I really Like Bitter Creek but I recently had one of those melt in a customer’s car :( I am just lost. I order Strong scents and they just aren’t lasting. I don’t know What to do anymore. Belinda, i just Made a Black Ice with our regular old beads and just put it in the truck today and can’t smell it one bit! 

If anyone else has any suggestions i would Love to hear them as well! 

Did you use Cajun beads or NG? I've got some black ice beads soaked that I'll try to bake this week and see how they do. I just don't know what to do either. 

I ordered a freshener from the people that own Aroma beads just to compare it to mine and mine look and smell so much better. I was shocked because from what he says they sell a bunch of theirs. It was also priced higher than the ones I make and smaller. It made me feel really good about mine LOL! But, like you said it's driving me crazy all this trouble we're having with these beads! I just go some from NG in and I'm going to test them against Cajun's. I'll let you know how things turn out and please do the same for me. I may just have to quit making these things.

I did Use Cajun and at first they were great and then when I ordered a large batch they were the same exact beads as Aztec and lasted literally a day or two. I have Also ordered from other people who make them and feel like mine look and smell better! I’ve even walked around local craft shows to smell and look at other people’s fresheners and some of them smell awful! I just Don’t get it and i am Too impatient for candles lol so these are all i make But i do Plan on starting matching room sprays soon 🤷🏼‍♀️

3 hours ago, Skk5233 said:

I did Like the NG beads that i used. They reminded me of the Aroma Beads online. 

That's great news! I'm going to put some on to soak today and see what results I get. If I like them I'm going to place another order from them. If they're good I sure hope NG doesn't switch like everyone else has been doing.

Thanks!

I am letting my beads completely dry before I bake them.. I have tried 1 TBS per one cup of beads and I have tried 1/4 cup FO per cup of beads(I usually have to add a few more beads during the process).. as of right now I've only used beads from scentdeals.com which I've also seen referred to scentimental deals.. my scents have been from scentdeals.com, lone star candle co. and justscent.com and they've all came out the same... they smell fine before I bake them, but once I bake them, the scent is gone or just barely there. I've heard a few good things about Bitter Creek and Natures Gardens beads, so I'm thinking about placing an order with one of the companies today to test out there quality of beads... But before I do, have any of you guys had problems with either of the two companies?? P.S. glad im not the only one having problems here.. makes me feel better. lol

On 6/18/2018 at 2:23 PM, britt94any said:

is larger better? or does it matter?

Larger in my experience has taken longer to soak up and you have to bake them longer. Having said that, I soaked some of Cajun's beads and started out with only a small amount of FO instead of putting the whole amount I would use in there at one time based on their instructions on their website. I've always just put the amount of oil I wanted to use in all at the same time. Anyway, they have soaked up very well and I was even able to add more FO and they are soaking it up as well. I'll know more once I bake them. I have had good results with these beads in the past but according to one of the above posts they've apparently changed. I did get some beads from NG and put them on to soak also. They are the smaller beads which I have preferred in the past because they seemed to soak up oil faster and better. I had never read Cajun's instructions to only use a small amount of oil at a time so that could be the reason they were taking so long to soak. I've been making these for years and had my bake time and temperature down and never had problems until recently. I think you'll be happy with NG's beads. Let's just hope they don't change too.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok ladies may have some good news for us...maybe! Lol. First of all, Belinda, i found an ornie i made about 6 months ago with beads from AromaBeads online and opened it and it still smelled amazing! I even Put it in my husbands truck and it is going strong! Of course, it was made with the old beads!! I was Noticing they are very close to the current BitterCreek beads! Anywho, the owner of a plastic bead company contacted me about a week ago. He’s been trying to get into the aromabead business and the first bead he bought was terrible. Took forever to soak and baked at 200 for 20 minutes and melted very unevenly! So he contacted me to say he had a new “premium” bead if i wanted to try some. I tried some and here is what happened: i soaked Some black cherry. Even though it always soaks quickly, it soaked up within an hour i would Say. I normally let them cure for several days to a week once they are dry, but i was Dying to see how they did in the oven so the next day i baked Some. 350 for 10 minutes was perfect. They seem to be very similar to AromaBeads online. Here’s the catch! You can try 5 pounds for around $19 AND free shipping! Anyway, just thought i would Pass it on if y’all wanted to try them! He offers free shipping on anything under 250 pounds! Just be sure to order the premium aroma beads. The website is PlasticPellets4Fun! Let me know if y’all try any!

• Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 9:37 AM, Skk5233 said:

Ok ladies may have some good news for us...maybe! Lol. First of all, Belinda, i found an ornie i made about 6 months ago with beads from AromaBeads online and opened it and it still smelled amazing! I even Put it in my husbands truck and it is going strong! Of course, it was made with the old beads!! I was Noticing they are very close to the current BitterCreek beads! Anywho, the owner of a plastic bead company contacted me about a week ago. He’s been trying to get into the aromabead business and the first bead he bought was terrible. Took forever to soak and baked at 200 for 20 minutes and melted very unevenly! So he contacted me to say he had a new “premium” bead if i wanted to try some. I tried some and here is what happened: i soaked Some black cherry. Even though it always soaks quickly, it soaked up within an hour i would Say. I normally let them cure for several days to a week once they are dry, but i was Dying to see how they did in the oven so the next day i baked Some. 350 for 10 minutes was perfect. They seem to be very similar to AromaBeads online. Here’s the catch! You can try 5 pounds for around $19 AND free shipping! Anyway, just thought i would Pass it on if y’all wanted to try them! He offers free shipping on anything under 250 pounds! Just be sure to order the premium aroma beads. The website is PlasticPellets4Fun! Let me know if y’all try any!

Thank you so much! 

I bought some more from Cajun and finally figured out how to get them to absorb oil. I don't add all of the oil at the same time. I add a little bit, let that soak up and then add more. SO far it's working but these are the bigger beads and have to be baked longer. 350 for 11 minutes has worked so far. Of course I'm still in the testing phase with these.....again!!!

I will most defiantly check his beads out. Aroma beads online had wonderful beads before they changed. They are claiming their beads are the BEST but I don't agree at all!

Thanks again so much!

I’m with you on that! They USED to be the best but hey aren’t anymore! They need to keep looking for another supplier lol! She claims it’s because I’m not using her oils. SMH i disagree. You can’t tell me her oils are any different or better from the bigger companies out there. I know She doesn’t mix her own because I’ve seen her post about getting new deliveries of scents in. Anywho. I havent Ever had an issue with my Cajun beads absorbing, they just don’t last. In a car in the summer, they may last a week, they may last a few days :( let me know how yours last. I’ve been gone all weekend so i cant Wait to get home and see how the new beads have done in the car over the weekend. 

On 7/1/2018 at 1:41 PM, Skk5233 said:

I’m with you on that! They USED to be the best but hey aren’t anymore! They need to keep looking for another supplier lol! She claims it’s because I’m not using her oils. SMH i disagree. You can’t tell me her oils are any different or better from the bigger companies out there. I know She doesn’t mix her own because I’ve seen her post about getting new deliveries of scents in. Anywho. I havent Ever had an issue with my Cajun beads absorbing, they just don’t last. In a car in the summer, they may last a week, they may last a few days :( let me know how yours last. I’ve been gone all weekend so i cant Wait to get home and see how the new beads have done in the car over the weekend. 

Let me know how they do please!

Trust me, her oils are no better and if I could figure out how to send you a picture of one of their fresheners I would. I ordered one of theirs the last time I bought beads from them (which will be the last time if they don't change back to the good beads or get some that are better) just to compare theirs to mine and I was SO shocked when I got it. Not only was it smaller than my Texas shape that I use, it barely had a scent at all, and it looks melted around the edges, and they get more for theirs than I do for mine! So, I can say without a doubt their oils are no better!

On 6/29/2018 at 9:37 AM, Skk5233 said:

How did these work out? 

On 7/11/2018 at 1:44 PM, Skk5233 said:

Premium! The economy don’t melt well at all and take forever to soak!

I just placed an order! Thank you for the information. Maybe I can get some fresheners to turn out  the way they used to.

also, just another tid bit of info, they do soak up super fast, but i have Figured out that i can Add more oil and it will soak it up also. I havent Finished testing to figure out amounts yet, but they do soak up additional oil, which is cool

On 6/19/2018 at 2:00 PM, britt94any said:

I ended up ordering from Natures Garden.. fingers crossed that these will work out for me.. you guys are right, it gets expensive testing these different products.

They have some good oils too.

What scents were you using from Lone Star and the other company? Maybe it was the scent itself. Some are just stronger than others.

I hope you have good luck with NG's beads. I baked some of theirs the other day and they seem to be great so far.