Getting Products into Boutiques

ellajoan

We have done very well with our candles at craft shows and have had so many people ask us what local stores we are selling at.  We have an opportunity for a space in a consignment store, with low booth rent, but it's not super high traffic.  We'd REALLY love to get into a few local boutiques (there are quite a few in a nearby beach tourist town).  What is the best way to go about doing this?  Phone, email, just stop in with samples?  

I can only speak from experience in terms of consignment shop ... I was selling some candles years ago at a little gift shop on consignment.  I didn't do too badly either, but it was a pain, so I quit.  Now, as for selling your candles outright, that's an entirely different story, as then the store owner is your customer.

• Like 1

Personally I no longer do consignment. More cons than pros for my taste. If you do do consignment my advice is to make decisions on how you want to handle the consignment before approaching the store owner. Remember the store owner has no vested interest in your product so they will treat it differently than one who has made a wholesale purchase. You want to know what happens to damaged, missing, or stolen goods, plus who is responsible for that, when do you get paid, how do you get paid, when is rent due, can you quit at anytime or will you be obligated for a set time? These are just a few questions I would want to know. So I would also make sure you have a signed contract that spells out these things. Often, the shop owner may have the contract. If so, look it over and make any changes to it you see fit. If the owner is unwilling to work with you that is your first clue it will be a rough relationship.

Good luck! Some consignments can help you out and be well worth their while, but there are many ways to get screwed in a consignment situation so just be prepared.

• Like 1

I actually made a video on this topic. consignments 

I rent retail space before. Wasn't a good experience. I didn't have any control. Where in the store, how it was displayed. My bath bombs got destroyed in-front of the window in the sunlight. There are so many things that affect my sales. I had no control yet I still paid for the space for 8 weeks. They didn't tell me any of these changes. I had to visit the store myself to see whats going on.

Be clear before you rent space.

Edited by bathaway