Thoughts on first burn

Experienced chandlers... Would love your opinion... these pictures are at the end of the first 3 hour burn. Giving great hot throw. Definitely not a full melt pool, but I know that is not desirable on the first burn. Is this what a first burn should look like? Or do I look under wicked? 

IMG_7239.JPG

IMG_7240.JPG

it may be the angle, but it looks off centered pretty far. Or is it to allow it to curl inside to the center? If so, then disregard.

I actually think that looks pretty good. Looks to be about a 3" diameter jar. I think its a great base wick to work with.

Yes. This has 7% WSP perfect pumpkin. I've tried CDs and I did not like them. Lots of soot and the flame was wild. I've had the most luck with the LX wicks and the zinc 51s. I will keep burning and see what happens but the flame from the LX 14 is so nice. Just the right size, but I am worried about tunneling. 

Wthomas - you use zinc wicks correct? I've used them to wick fragrances that are a bit heavier like CS mistletoe and I love them. Just worried about customers not liking the metal. 

I tried the CD 18 and 20. I may have been overwicked and gave up on them too fast. I went to LX wicks instead and have liked them. Is there a huge difference between CD and LX wicks? Guess I didn't see too much of a difference but, I'm a newbie. 

Well there you go. Cd18 and 20 WOULD soot and have big flames in that jar and wax. Try a wick half that size and you may be pleasantly surprised. I would start with a cd8 or 10 personally. 

8 minutes ago, CHB said:

I tried the CD 18 and 20. I may have been overwicked and gave up on them too fast. I went to LX wicks instead and have liked them. Is there a huge difference between CD and LX wicks? Guess I didn't see too much of a difference but, I'm a newbie. 

In my soy and parasoy blends lax have never burned well. They fizzle out part way through the burn. I gave up on them when I had to continually wick up up up and never achieved a solid burn.

Yes, I used the CDs when I first started out and was going off the recommendations given by a supplier. 

Getting so frustrated with the wicking. I'm really considering just going to straight zinc wicks. I feel like the 51z wicks work for almost every fragrance I have. Nice flame, very little soot, glass never gets crazy hot. Just wondering if people are going to flip over the metal wick. 

4 minutes ago, CHB said:

Yes, I used the CDs when I first started out and was going off the recommendations given by a supplier. 

Getting so frustrated with the wicking. I'm really considering just going to straight zinc wicks. I feel like the 51z wicks work for almost every fragrance I have. Nice flame, very little soot, glass never gets crazy hot. Just wondering if people are going to flip over the metal wick. 

What supplier recommends that big of a cd wick for that small of a container? 

Zinc are not perfect in all fragrances and combos either. The only way to know what works best is to test completely and test market. 

I'm sorry - just looked back at my notes. LS recommended the LX 18 and 20 not the CD, but the LX 18 and 20 were still way too large IMO. They recommended the CD 12 and 14 I believe. Also too big. Thanks for your recommendation regarding the CD 8 and 10. 

Im going to keep test burning the LX 14 because I'm liking the burn so far. Hopefully it will catch up towards the middle, but if it doesn't, it will be back to the drawing board and I'll start with a CD 10. I appreciate all of the help!!

• Like 1

For that size jar the cd12 "might" be OK for primarily soy. The paraffin in the 6006 is a major component of the blend, so definitely wick down. 

Fyi, cd14 in all of my soy testing burns a little narrower of a melt pool than the cd12. The cd14 slurps up and burns the wax more efficiently than the 12. 

If a cd12 is a smidge too big, often a CSN or CSN of the same number fits well. This observation comes from side by side wick testing in my soy and parasoy blends.

5 hours ago, CHB said:

Yes. This has 7% WSP perfect pumpkin. I've tried CDs and I did not like them. Lots of soot and the flame was wild. I've had the most luck with the LX wicks and the zinc 51s. I will keep burning and see what happens but the flame from the LX 14 is so nice. Just the right size, but I am worried about tunneling. 

Wthomas - you use zinc wicks correct? I've used them to wick fragrances that are a bit heavier like CS mistletoe and I love them. Just worried about customers not liking the metal. 

Yes I use zincs sometimes. I also use CDs, HTPs, and Premiers. It all depends on the jar and the fragrance. You are going to have a hard time finding a one size fits all.

Zincs work great when:

- using smaller containers

- double wicking larger containers

- non heavier fragrances

Advantages: zincs are very consistent in their results, great at being cooler than other wicks, and very easy to work with

Disadvantages: Sometimes its just not enough wick/heat. I have several FOs in many jars that they simply do not work. OR, I have to wick up so large that the flame gets ridiculous and so does the mushroom. Also, the metal core. While Ive NEVER had a customer comment or complain on any candles I have that are zinc wicked, I prefer not having the metal core myself just because of perception. But its still the most popular wick used in candles.

CD works great when:

- zins isn't enough

- prefer a curl (sometimes self trimming with little mushroom)

- larger containers that need a bit more heat

- viscous waxes (single pours, parasoys, etc)

Advantages - helps where zinc cant, often self trimming/curling. Can handle most if not all FOs

Disadvantages - Sometimes can get too hot or sooty depending on application. The curel can lead to uneven melt pools and certain side of jar getting too hot.

LX  great for:

- smaller jars (tight controlled flame)

- double wicking bigger jars when needed

- great perfect looking flame

Advantages: can help sometimes when zinc isn't enough. Tight controlled flame (even burns)

Disadvantages: tight tight flame can also prevent enough heat distribution and lead to tunneling if not wicked perfectly. Whereas many other wicks can overcome this problem

deeper in the jars, sometimes lx cant.

Premiers:

- hybrid of the above 3 in my opinion. Consistent like a zinc but more heat like a CD. Can really fill in the gaps where zinc is missing.

Advantages: LOTS of incremental sizing to really lock in correct wick size

Disadvantages: can smoke and soot a lot if not wicked properly.

All that being said, I agree with talltayl. The wicks you used for CD were multiple sizes too big. The LX is tricker. If you wick down you'll tunnel or drown. Bigger it will smoke, soot, and mushroom badly. That is why I mentioned LX can struggle in larger jars (3"+). The zincs will work well for you on most FOs I think, but in that jar it will be at LEAST a z51 if not a z60. If customers dont trim (most want), you will end up with huge mushrooms and soot. Any smaller zinc size and it wont cut it. Shame too because the zincs burn great, excellent melt pool characteristics, etc.

You are going to have the best luck in my opinion in those jars with CD and premier. Just be prepared to get frustrated. Wicking isn't easy to begin with. Its even harder using that jar size.

Edited by wthomas57
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow! Thank you for that amazing response! So so helpful! I am so very impressed with the amount of people who are willing to help newbies like myself on this forum.

There are a few fragrances that I've wicked with LX that I am happy with, and a few I've wicked with a z51 that I'm happy with, so that's something I guess. I'll keep plugging along and try some CDs on some of the fragrances I'm having trouble with. I just love CS mistletoe, but I'm having trouble getting it wicked properly. 

Thank you again!