Does 444 Work For Melts?

The only additives you would need IMO is anything that would inhibit frosting. 444 has quite a bit of frosting and your colors will all but fade within a week. As for hardess and fragrance its just fine. I still have some I made 6 months ago that are smelling better than when I first made them. Albeit the loss of color. I was thinking next time I make them just try and go natural and leave out the color altogether.

15 hours ago, Clear Black said:

The only additives you would need IMO is anything that would inhibit frosting. 444 has quite a bit of frosting and your colors will all but fade within a week. As for hardess and fragrance its just fine. I still have some I made 6 months ago that are smelling better than when I first made them. Albeit the loss of color. I was thinking next time I make them just try and go natural and leave out the color altogether.

Thanks so much for answering. I was just trying to decide whether I should go ahead and try 444 and whether I should buy dye. So glad I checked in here because now I know to skip the dye and glad to hear the hardness is fine and that it holds scent. Thanks! ?

47 minutes ago, chevril said:

Thanks so much for answering. I was just trying to decide whether I should go ahead and try 444 and whether I should buy dye. So glad I checked in here because now I know to skip the dye and glad to hear the hardness is fine and that it holds scent. Thanks! ?

Yes, actually after I replied to your request I went to my stash and checked the date on those 444 melts. It was from 2/26/17 and they smell better than the day I made them. Then again, the color is a very pale pink where as the day after they were poured they were very vibrant in color.  Within a week the color had faded to where it is now so I would just go ahead and test without dye and see how you like. I think any potential customer is really after the smell of melts, color comes second and maybe able to skip that part.

Post some pics of your melts here when you make them!

9 hours ago, Clear Black said:

Yes, actually after I replied to your request I went to my stash and checked the date on those 444 melts. It was from 2/26/17 and they smell better than the day I made them. Then again, the color is a very pale pink where as the day after they were poured they were very vibrant in color.  Within a week the color had faded to where it is now so I would just go ahead and test without dye and see how you like. I think any potential customer is really after the smell of melts, color comes second and maybe able to skip that part.

Post some pics of your melts here when you make them!

Thank you for going to the trouble to dig them out. I've been wanting to try mixing my own parasoy  so I'm thinking I might blending 444 with #5 paraffin from California Candle Supply and see what happens. I'll be sure to post pictures! Thanks again ? ?

• 3 months later...

I know this post is a few months old but I thought I would just add my .02c worth......

I use 444 for melts and have been for about a year now.  I load them with 12% FO and generally just a few drops of liquid dye, and to be honest, I've never had mine last for anywhere close a year so I couldn't really comment on how long the scent or color lasts.  I would say that the longest I have waited until using a clamshell is probably around 4 months and while the color looked pretty much the same to me, the scent was decidedly stronger.

That being said,  I do not sell - they are for personal use and for friends and family that have requested them after enviously commenting on how delightful it smells in my house.

Edited by Margaritamama