Which wick looks best for 4 oz tin wax GB 464?

I used straight GB 464 wax with a 10% FO load of a lemon cake scent.  Tin is 4 oz and 2 9/16 inch diameter.  This melt pool is after 3 hours.  I am going with choice 2, but of course am going to keep burning after this sets up again a few more times.  Thoughts?  At first I was leaning towards the ECO 10 that was the wick suggested by candle science's guide since it had an even melt pool set up quickest.  The CD seemed to melt all lopsided and wick curled, but after it burned fully it is even.  The wick seems better without the big mushroom the ECO has.   After 3 hours, I think CD 10 would be the better choice.  Maybe even try a CD 12?

20107861_10159158015830171_1184268926_o.jpg

For the first burn every single one of those is overwicked. The two on the far right are fires waiting to happen. The second one is on its way to looking like the third one within another hour or so. 

Tins do not get their air current dynamics going until about half way down, then things heat up dramatically.

an eco 10 in the 8 oz tins produces enough bonafide smoke to fill a room in most of my fragrances. 

In that size tin I would start at maybe a cd6 or 7. Don't shoot for full melt pool until at least the half way point. 

• Like 1

Way over wicked on all of those - it's an accident waiting to happen, not saying this to be mean or critical but to help you learn, tins get way hotter than glass and take a smaller wick in general 

I use 415 which is not as soft as 464 and when I used to make 4 ounce tins a CD8 would usually always get too hot by mid burn 

using 464 I would suggest a CD6 or 7 and like TT stated....don't shoot for full melt pool until at least half way thru

if a customer were to power burn that tin with a 10 or 12 it would most likely leave a burn mark on their table or counter  _ did you try and pick it up at all?

eco are way hotter burning in my experience in soy as well so I would suggest trying the smaller CD's , and they are designed to curl as they burn- you can try twisting them a couple times to help even the burn out 

• Like 1

Thank you.  I know the ECO's were definitely out of the question.  Do you know why Candlescience might suggest ECO's?  Maybe for glass their suggestion might work?  So if not shooting for full melt pool until half way point, what about with what they talk about wax memory on making a full melt pool the first time around?  Won't it tunnel?  I should be melting for about 3 hours at a time since it is about 3 inches diameter?

• Like 1

Soy is a different animal from those old days when wax had "memory". As it progresses through the burn th sides will catch up.

i suggest filling the next round of testers half way and see the difference a little air current makes at that point of the container. And so try picking them up to feel how hot they tend to get.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Soy is a different animal from those old days when wax had "memory". As it progresses through the burn th sides will catch up.

Wait... WHAT!?

OH MAN! I KNEW there was a reason I got CREEPED OUT in Madam Tussaud's!!!! o.O 

• Like 1