Oval Hex Jar Nightmare!

Hi everyone,

First I'd like to say that I've learned a lot reading through past threads on here over the last year, why I didn't join sooner I don't know. Great forum with lots of information and has kept me up in the wee hours researching information. I primarily use C-3 but am dabbling around a bit with 6006 because I like stress I guess, anywho..

A dear friend gave me several cases of the 9 oz. oval hex jars so I've been playing with them and they're driving me bonkers. Here's a link to what they look like

http://www.peakcandle.com/products/9-oz-Oval-Hexagon-Jars-(12CASE)__C2116.aspx

I cannot for the life of me get these jars wicked right. I'm not sure that I intend to do anything with them on a permanent basis but I'm not a quitter ha-ha. The different diameters are a nightmare as it seems when I think I've got it right I end up with the MP reaching the short sides and walls down the other sides. 

I've tried with both the c3, with UV and USA, and the 6006 and I've tried htp, cd, cdn, eco.. I have a couple curing with lx and I ordered a sample pack of zincs.. I thought I was going to be successful with the CD-6 but about 1/3 down it was too hot.. it seems that the smaller sizes only come in votive or tealight and I don't really want to buy a spool especially since I don't know if they'll even work. Has anyone used these jars and had any luck with wicking them? 

Edited by KimmyPee

Yes I'm sure. I actually tried it again thinking maybe I trimmed it too short. Here's a pic after the first burn with the cd-6.... it hits those short sides and then gets pretty hot around the top, and hotter as it goes down. 

IMG_4556.JPG

3 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I'm not familiar with that jar, but off the top of my head I'd say HTP 73 or 83.

I think the smallest I have is the 93 but I'll get some and give it a shot, I need some smaller wicks for double-wicking some bigger jars. Thanks for the help ?

3 hours ago, KimmyPee said:

Actually correction there, that's a different one... an htp-93. This is the cd-6 2 hrs. into the burn.. 

sorry about that, so many pictures..imageproxy.php?img=&key=703ca4a7308cd2ef

IMG_4557.JPG

Did you burn that candle to the end?  The reason I ask is because I think with the shape of the jar, you're gonna have to have hangup for a good while.  But it'll build up a lot of heat as it burns down, and that should clean the sides.  You really just cannot wick it to get a FMP early on without it getting too hot further down  Sometimes I use HTP 83s in the 12oz status jar (also 3" diameter), and it's not a pretty burn, but it does clean the sides near the bottom.  I use a lot of zinc wicks with 6006, but I do use some HTP's too, especially with smaller containers.  If you're testing zincs, I'd go with 51z. 

22 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

Did you burn that candle to the end?  

I haven't burnt these all the way down yet but I have all the others I've tested. The biggest issue is that it's wider than deep so the pool hits the bigger sides first and then when I do get mid to bottom third of the jar it's just way to hot. I'm hoping since the zincs burn cooler it might help a bit. That 6 actually looks better this time after first burn than the last time I tried it..

I don't get the zincs till mid week but I'm going to test the lower htp's... I do have a couple of the 73's and 83's I found hiding out. 

And too also, the longer the candle sits and cures and hardens, the stronger the wick you will need, so this might work...you just have to test, test, test.

Those hexagons have always been a bugger to wick.....good luck to you....keep us posted.

trappeur 

With that kind of tunneling, why are you thinking the wick is too large? Your wicks are certainly too small if you are not achieving a complete melt. I would say in 6006 that about a CD 10-12 would be needed to get the proper burn.

2 hours ago, Flicker said:

With that kind of tunneling, why are you thinking the wick is too large? Your wicks are certainly too small if you are not achieving a complete melt. I would say in 6006 that about a CD 10-12 would be needed to get the proper burn.

If I wick to get a full pool the first burn, which is what those pics are from, then the jar is way too hot midway. If I wick too small and it starts to tunnel it does try to catch up but then the wick drowns out..

I was always under the impression I don't want a full pool the first few burns. 

Both of those candles have been sitting around over a month, I just rewicked them and lit them yesterday. They're both C3, I haven't tried the 6006 in these jars yet but if it will be easier to wick them then I'm game to try. I'll try the 6006 with the wicks you suggested and see how that does. 

May this point I refuse to let the jar beat me ??

You can get a fmp first burn. Here is what you want,

You want a full or nearly full melt first burn. It should be full by the third. It should not ever get deeper than 1/2" but you want it to be between 1/4" and no more than 1/2" depth against the glass with a fmp. This is based on 4 hr burn cycles.

2 hours ago, Flicker said:

How long are you burning each cycle?

I'm burning them in 3 hour sessions a couple times a day, depending on my schedule. The jar is roughly 3.25"x 2.75" by 3.5" tall. I have no problem getting a fmp first couple burns but, I think, that because of the difference in length v. Width it gets way to hot further into the burns. That's what started me wicking down. 

I've used the hex jars and really liked them but I did not use your type of wax or wicks:  I used paraffin 4630 with Eco 6 wicks and did have hangup till the candle burned down midway.  It's always been my experience that if I get a FMP on the 1st or 2nd burn, then the wick is too big and the jar will be untouchable on future burns.