Hi There! I need advice on the pricing aspect of creating a custom candle scent for a business. What do you charge for your time? A flat fee? What minimuns do you require? I had planned on them paying for the roll of labels including all shipping and designing charges as well as any costs to purchase samples. Any advice from anyone that has ever done any custom work? Thank you for the help! 

• Like 2

I think you are on the right track. I would put everything in writing like a contract both parties sign. I would also add a reasonable time frame, a sample limit of say 3 scents (so you aren't stuck in one continuous cycle of producing scent after scent after scent, etc.). I would also ask for production charges up front. This means you need to come up with the 3 scents you plan to test, figure your production costs, and get those up front.

Once your samples are ready to present and you meet and they select one, then you can collect the costs of the order as you normally do. But put a minimum order in the contract so they take you seriously and you don't waste your time.

Honestly, once I explain to a potential client what the R&D, time, and costs may entail if they are not serious they generally walk away. Someone who is serious about developing a signature scent for their company will not bat an eyelash and will pay your R&D costs up front and discuss with you the future order of the finished product. JUST GET IT IN WRITING!!!! :)

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 3