Help with 464 wicking, please

I am needing some serious help with wicking.  Using 464 wax, 6% FO, and and an 8 oz tin with a diameter of 3,' ECO wick 12.  Here's a photo of one after a 4 hour test burn.  Another (no photo here) had multiple layers of tunneling after 3 separate 3 hour test burns.  Suggestions?  Am I underwicking?  Overwicking?  

18575680_1462821970428228_171735603_o.jpg

Have you tested your wax and container with no fragrance? Fragrance plays a huge part in the burn. I have some that I need to wick up 3-4 sizes... others need to be wicked down a size. Frustrating!

when I used 464 in the early days I found the eco series in sizes recommended were much too big by the middle to end of the candle. 

tins are a strange beast to wick, too. By the middle to end of the burn they really get hot.

the final nugget I learned, not every case of the same wax type burns the same. Some wax lot numbers are more dry than others, which changed my burn. 

I'd give that container another two or three burns before making a final decision. 

I also found the ECO 12 too large for that tin - it was OK on a vanilla scent but anything else it burned too hot. ECO 10 was a bit too small, in my opinion, but I only tried it twice because I didn't want to waste too much time when I was planning on trying CD wicks anyway. 

I use 464 and those tins, and find a CD12 is perfect for most FOs (at 6%). 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ellajoan said:

jbradshaw, do you think I overwicked, then?

I don't consider myself expert enough to diagnose wicking based on a photo, I just know that when I used that wick, wax and container, mine were quite overwicked. Super hot containers, deep melt pools.  

That makes a lot of sense--I appreciate your advice.  I will give the CD 12 a try.  I know I had better luck with the ECO 10.  This particular batch of 464 has been an absolute beast to work with--mottled tops, holes, etc.  I have seen that many have had issues with the last few batches of 464, as well.