Second Pour Logistics

We occasionally need to do a second pour particularly on larger jars. Was curious to know how others plan and execute  to make it happen. We typically pour multiple FOs and colors each time we pour. How do you keep the additional wax for the second pour? We have four pour pots but are continually using them for the main pour. How do you keep the reserve wax and reheat? More pour pots? If using a presto how is the reserve wax heated? We use C-3 soy.  What temps are you heating the wax for the second pour? Many thanks for any response.  

I only do repours on votives but I also make 4 fragrances at a time and I just let the remainder sit on a griddle on warm until ready and then move on to my next batches.....when I am in a real hurry and need the pour pots to keep moving I pour the remainder into little pour pots and put those on the griddle and continue on- I only use the presto for melting- I do not add FO or color in that itself- it's added in the pour pot

• Like 1

I never have to repour my jars, but for pillars I usually melt, color and scent about 3-4 oz more than the mold will hold, pour the excess in tart molds, and then when the repour is needed just pop the wax out of the tart molds into the presto, reheat (I don't adjust the temp because I pour hot enough and poke holes deep enough that the wax always adheres to itself and never separates) then pour. 

You could do the same with the jars, but maybe only an oz or two. Not sure what you would put the excess wax in. It would depend on how sticky your container wax is. 

• 2 weeks later...

A presto is a fryer that is used to melt wax. Can be found at Walmart and other places. It holds about 6lbs of melted wax. The temp control helps to melt the wax slowly. There is a person that has modified them with a convenient pour spout you can google. It is more cost effective solution than larger melt devices for smaller candle operations and eliminates the need for he double boiler. 

A presto is a fryer that is used to melt wax. Can be found at Walmart and other places. It holds about 6lbs of melted wax. The temp control helps to melt the wax slowly. There is a person that has modified them with a convenient pour spout you can google. It is more cost effective solution than larger melt devices for smaller candle operations and eliminates the need for he double boiler. 

Can you give me a link? We dont have Walmarts here :) And Google for "presto" gives zounds of local coffies.

I know there is a way to shorten the link but can't find it, but here is a google listing of images of a Presto Pot. Presto is the brand name of the melting/cooking pot. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=Presto+pot&es_sm=122&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=JoyAVMryEtDoigK6soDYAg&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1260&bih=686&dpr=1.1#imgdii=_

• 2 weeks later...