How many hours does scent last?

JABE

What do you mean does it hold the scent in?

Uploading a pic to this new board is really frustrating. lol.  I hope it worked.

Your portion cups are adorable!!  Did you do the labels yourself?  I've read on here that the containers have to be made out of a certain plastic or the scent dissipates. 

Thank you!  Yes, I design the labels myself. :) Each scent has it's own color/design.

Make sure the portion cups have a number 5 on the bottom of them and you won't have problems with the scent going into the plastic.

• Like 2

Thank you!  Yes, I design the labels myself. :) Each scent has it's own color/design.

Make sure the portion cups have a number 5 on the bottom of them and you won't have problems with the scent going into the plastic.

Where do you get your containers Suzyk?

I agree and do the same. I make no claims of how long they last. When asked, I tell them that many varaibels such as warmer type, air flow, size of room, fans, heat, air conditioning and more come into play.

I just like to know that they last 12-14 hours minimum in my test environments with different warmers. I am thrilled when they post that one melt lasted 3 days and not yet have I had to read that something just lasted a few hours.

I think that's excellent. Same with SuzyK & Moonshine.   :)  There are plenty that do, though.  I think this is an excellent thread for the new sellers to take notes on.  

Edited by marcuset
  • Like 2

I think that's excellent. Same with SuzyK & Moonshine.   :)  There are plenty that do, though.  I think this is an excellent thread for the new sellers to take notes on.  

Very true Marcuset.  I am a newbie and this thread has been very helpful. :thumbsup:

I also find that when you think the scent is gone - the truth is it's probably not. I have turned my warmer off, let the wax cool, and turn it back on the next day and the scent is back. Maybe not as strong as initially but still acceptable.

I also find that when you think the scent is gone - the truth is it's probably not. I have turned my warmer off, let the wax cool, and turn it back on the next day and the scent is back. Maybe not as strong as initially but still acceptable.

Sometimes I think mine is gone.  I'll go outside for a minute and come in and you can smell it.  I think we get used to it.

There are several places to get portion cups.  It's best that you look at several suppliers to see where you can get them the cheapest along with shipping costs.

There are round or oval cups. I used the round at first and recently switched to the oval.  Don't use the polystyrene ones, use the polypropylene with the number 5 on the bottom.  There are several sizes as well, 1 oz or 2 oz is what most people use.  I choose to use the 2 oz ones because the price between the 2 sizes isn't much different.  You can use the clear ones or the black as long as they have a number 5 on the bottom.

Here are some places that carry them online.  I believe Wal-mart, Costco, and maybe Sam's Club also has them if you want to get them locally.  Also, some of the places online sell the cups and lids separately, don't forget to buy lids!

I've never ordered from here but I know some on here have

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/dart-conex-200pc-2-oz-plastic-souffle-portion-cup-2500-case/301200PC.html

This is where I used to get mine:

http://www.instawares.com/plastic-portion-souffle-cups.pc200fab.0.7.htm

This is where I get mine now, I use the oval ones

http://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-supplies-equipment/Product_6000417  

I linked them all to the round portion cups but I believe each place also carries the oval ones.  I'm sure there are other suppliers but those are the ones I know off the top of my head.

Edited by SuzyK

There are several places to get portion cups.  It's best that you look at several suppliers to see where you can get them the cheapest along with shipping costs.

There are round or oval cups. I used the round at first and recently switched to the oval.  Don't use the polystyrene ones, use the polypropylene with the number 5 on the bottom.  There are several sizes as well, 1 oz or 2 oz is what most people use.  I choose to use the 2 oz ones because the price between the 2 sizes isn't much different.  You can use the clear ones or the black as long as they have a number 5 on the bottom.

Here are some places that carry them online.  I believe Wal-mart, Costco, and maybe Sam's Club also has them if you want to get them locally.  Also, some of the places online sell the cups and lids separately, don't forget to buy lids!

I've never ordered from here but I know some on here have

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/dart-conex-200pc-2-oz-plastic-souffle-portion-cup-2500-case/301200PC.html

This is where I used to get mine:

http://www.instawares.com/plastic-portion-souffle-cups.pc200fab.0.7.htm

This is where I get mine now, I use the oval ones

http://www.wasserstrom.com/restaurant-supplies-equipment/Product_6000417  

I linked them all to the round portion cups but I believe each place also carries the oval ones.  I'm sure there are other suppliers but those are the ones I know off the top of my head.

Thanks SuzyK I'll check them out!

• 4 weeks later...

What do you mean does it hold the scent in?

Uploading a pic to this new board is really frustrating. lol.  I hope it worked.

Ah, you are Suzy's on Etsy.  I have drooled over your adorable labels.  Honestly, that has been the biggest headache of all for me! I also struggle with pricing.  There are some very popular vendors who only charge 1.50 for a scent shot, and I wonder how they do it, and how in the heck I can compete with that, and still make any money! 

Ah, you are Suzy's on Etsy.  I have drooled over your adorable labels.  Honestly, that has been the biggest headache of all for me! I also struggle with pricing.  There are some very popular vendors who only charge 1.50 for a scent shot, and I wonder how they do it, and how in the heck I can compete with that, and still make any money! 

Yes, that's me. :) Thank you! It seems weird to have someone drool over my shop when I have shops that I drool over too.  I've been in the biz for a few yrs and redesigned my labels a little over a year ago. I had wanted to do them like that when I first started but I was so excited about starting a new biz that I just made something generic.

I know it's so easy to compare yourself with other businesses. I do it all the time. I have several shops that I sort of stalk because I just do.  lol.  I price my items what they need to be priced.  There will always be someone who charges less and someone who charges more. Some people are in it just to cover their hobby expenses and some are in it for their only income and I'm sure other reasons as well.  If you have a great product, people will buy from you.  My sales are steady and getting steadier.   There's lots of competition for both of my shops (I also have a mineral makeup shop) and I get enough sales to pay the bills so I'm happy. :)  It's taken me awhile to get where I am, it's a lot of hard work but it's really paying off. I love it!

• Like 1

Yes, that's me. :) Thank you! It seems weird to have someone drool over my shop when I have shops that I drool over too.  I've been in the biz for a few yrs and redesigned my labels a little over a year ago. I had wanted to do them like that when I first started but I was so excited about starting a new biz that I just made something generic.

I know it's so easy to compare yourself with other businesses. I do it all the time. I have several shops that I sort of stalk because I just do.  lol.  I price my items what they need to be priced.  There will always be someone who charges less and someone who charges more. Some people are in it just to cover their hobby expenses and some are in it for their only income and I'm sure other reasons as well.  If you have a great product, people will buy from you.  My sales are steady and getting steadier.   There's lots of competition for both of my shops (I also have a mineral makeup shop) and I get enough sales to pay the bills so I'm happy. :)  It's taken me awhile to get where I am, it's a lot of hard work but it's really paying off. I love it!

Yes, I'll be happy just to break even.  Good to know you're doing well with all soy, too.  Not that I'm anti-paraffin, or anything, it just took a lot of testing just to get the blend I have, which just happens to be all soy.  It seems like people poo-poo it for some reason, and the popular opinion seems to be that the throw is not as good, or long lasting with all soy.  I just can't imagine starting all over with testing!  Am I hi-jacking this thread? Sorry if I am.  It's so nice to talk to folks who know what they're doing.  Wish I'd found this forum months ago! 

I am the opposite of the spectrum so don't be discouraged

I started with soy and after years of experimenting I get amazing throw - recently started playing with parasoy and it's good but I love my soy- I keep goin back to it and feel it IS stronger - not to mention you don't see the soot but I haven't mastered making the soot entirely disappear in parasoy yet- but I will

I have never tried making all paraffin so I cannot comment on that but my candles I feel all around as far as burn and throw blow all the commercial paraffin candle companies I have purchased from out the door

All paraffin is next on my list- after I master the parasoy because some of the melts I have tried from people on this forum that are all paraffin are amazing....and if I can get better throw than my soy with no soot in a candle I will be adding another type to my line!

So if your liking your soy keep at it- it is possible

• 2 years later...