First batch done

mbaldwin

Hi,

I finally got my first batch of cp soap done and tested. It has taken me almost 9 months to get it done from when I started thinking of doing it.

My first recipe was 70% lard, 15% coconut oil, and 15% castor oil with 7% super fat. So nothing real complicated. It went well for the most part. I used my stick blender, so trace happened much faster then I expected. I was thinking I would be doing it for 30 minutes at least, and it took no where near that long. It went from runny pancake batter to thick cake batter in no time. I did get it in the home made log mold and covered.

I did the tongue test and did not get a zap, so I used some. It has nice lather and bubbles, and seemed to get me pretty clean. I just got done exercising. it seemed to leave my skin a little dry though. Maybe I am just used to all the residue that gets left behind with my store bought stuff. Or maybe it needs to sit a little longer, or I just need less coconut oil in soaps for me.

I have a batch of 100% OO to try later. I used a spiced apple FO in it. I also did a hp batch of about 90% OO and 10% coconut oil with a sweet pea FO in it.

So all-in-all the first time making soap, I would consider a success. I will be making a lot more over the next few months. My wife thinks we need to make some and have a booth at our county fair next summer.

Michael

Guest OldGlory

YAY! The first batch is the hardest. It took me 10 years from the time I decided I wanted to make it until I found the courage to do it.

I find it enlightening to try different recipes, feel the results, learn the differences an oil can make in a batch.

I wish you continued success and hope that you enjoy the moments as you go. There's a tremendous learning curve ahead.

Congrats on your first batch of CP! I think the 1st one is always the hardest for everyone. I love that you use lard. I do too because it makes a great soap. I call it the poor man's shea butter as it has similar properties to shea. Anyway it makes great soap!!

Mine are mostly olive oil thou and I haven't had any problems with dryness. You may want to give OO a try soon and see if that makes a difference for you.