how do you decide between scents

I pick up samples as they appeal to me, I have been buying next seasons scents a few months in advance so I have several months to test.

I like to try the basics first, once I find one that I like and it works in my system I usually stop looking unless I read something about how fabulous another scent is. I may pick up the one that is talked about just to compare, but if I have a working combo I usually stick with that one.

You can make yourself really crazy if you try to compare the nuances of every single type of fragrance. If you bought everything that was apple flavored you could be testing just that one scent variation for a VERY long time.

A lot of making candles has to do with testing. TEST TEST TEST. A FO that works for me may not work for you. Therefor all the FOs I use have been tested and I choose from there. You are correct, there are a lot of variations. I try to limited myself by deciding just how many different "apple" scents I should offer, which at the moment is just one. Or how many different variations of vanilla should I have, it's simple for me... 2... vanilla and french vanilla. Utilize your nose. If two different scents smell the same, throw out "almost" the same exact scent, then you probably only need one or the other, not both. I agree with ChefMom, do not overwhelm yourself by trying all 20 variations of apple out there. That's too time consuming. try 2 or 3 that sound appealing from you and go from there. Sooner or later you will find a supplier that you are overall happy with most of their FOs. Thats a good place to start,

Edited by SparkysCandles

Guest OldGlory

Ditto. So many suppliers, so many FOs, but only so much time and money!

READ everything you see about reviews for HT or HOT THROW on FOs, which wax they are using, which wicks they're using, which containers they're using, maybe even make a chart for reviews on FOs by soy wax users, paraffin users, etc. You will see similarities, but be sure you are comparing apples to apples. A different jar or different wick or both will change results. There are tons of variables.

TEST candles for cold throw, hot throw, wick performance, melt pool and burn rate, etc. I like to let a few friends test hot throw too, to get a well-rounded idea of the appeal of a scent.

ASK QUESTIONS, then be patient and wait for busy people to respond. :)

Another ditto! I agree completely with what has been said before me so I'll not repeat.

If you look at my spreadsheet, it appears that I am willing to order anything and everything from everyone and decide for myself! haha!

I first search here to see what has already been asked and read and read. If most feedback was from many years ago, I ask again to see if thoughts and preferences have changed over time.

Then, I add to wax and test.

I only have 3 right now but there are so many out there. And so many variables like apple pie, apple spice, apple dumpling, apple cobbler. So you offer all?

I'm not selling yet so I don't offer anything. However, what I am working on doing is finding one good apple pie, one good spicy apples, one good plain crisp apple, etc., that works with my wax/wick/jar combo.

These are the hardest FOs for me to find one that has HT I'm looking for. Oh, and pumpkin too. Have yet to find the perfect pumpkin.

Most of the financial investment in candle/melt making is in testing. And the big part of testing are those little 1oz'ers at $2 - $5 a pop (plus shipping.) And it's always risky - go by the name & description and it may not "work" in your wax. Base it purely on recommendations and get disappointed when it doesn't work either. Order just 3 out of 6 apple scents a supplier has available and you may miss the one that would be fantastic. Or make ones that appeal to you just to find out that it just doesn't appeal to anyone else.

You can go crazy searching ... and testing ... and failed attempts slowly nibble away at the money you have set aside for product development. Sometimes I wonder if it's actually less expensive to make them when you take into consideration the testers that didn't work. Of course if you thoroughly enjoy the making part of the process it is less expensive than professional relaxation therapy. (lol)

I think it's easier for a new person to start out with one or two suppliers, like Candle Science and Peak's, and just read their Best Seller list every week and buy those popular scents.

And you can read the reviews before you buy. Any FO that has a lot of reviews with people raving over that scent will probably be good. If there are only a few reviews, even if they're all good, that means fewer people got excited about it and it might be a dud, unless it's a new scent and many people haven't had time to review it.

Edited by HorsescentS

Ditto to everything stated above.

Candle Science, Aztec, BitterCreek North and a few others, have designated times each year, that they sell their 1 oz samples for .99 each. Trust me, a lot of us buy a LOT of new things we've not tried before, when those sales happen. Also, when you've posted on this board long enough, and get Classified section availability, people are always buying FOs for very reasonable prices on it. As one of the posters said,... what works for me, in my type of wax, in my application , in my geographical area, AND also what the customers in this area will buy and wont buy.........may not work for you at all !

Kind of keep a check on who uses what wax, in which type of jar ( or clamshell container ) using which wicks, and what area of the US or world they are in. That person can be truly invaluable to you in helping you figure out what problems you might be having.

I'm in the DEEP south. I use a wax call 4794 because it has, for me and a lot of others, a wonderful scent throw, it holds up extremely well to our insane high temps down here, and you can use it in so many different types of products ( you are not having to buy wax for just ONE particular container or whatever, and then another wax to do something else like pillars, and then another wax to do clams... .)