First Attempt At Tarts...

These are your first batches, so you know this information, but as you experiment with different waxes, you will want to label with what type of wax (the manufacturer and number), supplier where you got it and also supplier of the FO. You'll have a lot at some point and you may forget! As an example, I am testing 3 different supplier's Cotton Candy so I needed to be certian I knew what I was comparing and choosing. Another test I am doing involves the same FO from one supplier but 2 different wax blends.

You are off to such a great start!

These are your first batches, so you know this information, but as you experiment with different waxes, you will want to label with what type of wax (the manufacturer and number), supplier where you got it and also supplier of the FO. You'll have a lot at some point and you may forget! As an example, I am testing 3 different supplier's Cotton Candy so I needed to be certian I knew what I was comparing and choosing. Another test I am doing involves the same FO from one supplier but 2 different wax blends.

You are off to such a great start!

Thanks for the Tip! I think I may order these same scents again, and try them with other blends of the same waxes. Currently I'm only making 8oz batches so I can maximize my FO useage. I don't have enough clamshells to make a full 1lb batch. So far, everything has come from Peak. Once I make at least 1 batch of each, I'm going to sit down and make out another spreadsheet (sheesh I have a thing for spreadsheets apparently, i'm doing one with the four suppliers I'd prefer to do business with ha!) and mark out what mixes I've tried, plus thoughts/comments about that.

Some close friends have offered to test a few of them for me so I may give them a couple and ask them to do a write up for me.

The red in the Macintosh Apple was 20 drops of Peak's Red Liquid Dye. I'm really impressed with how red it turned out :)

You might consider smaller batches since you're just testing. When I do a new FO in melts, I make enough for 2 portion cups & never do clamshells until I know if they work. That way I'm not wasting FO & wax. Just a thought.

& the floatie thing to me just looks like the wax is starting to solidify.

Edited by Beth

• 4 weeks later...

So, during my recovery from wisdom teeth surgery, I decided to try to make more tarts with a smaller pot. One of my coworkers makes candles too so she is letting me borrow her 1lb pour pot. In my testing I have found that I'm not a huge fan of the paraffin blended with soy. Can't put my finger on it but there's something different. I've tried several combo's of blends like 50/50 soy to paraffin, 60/40 both directions, etc. The 50/50 seems to be the best of the blends, but I like how the ecosoya Pillar blend comes out. So I'm stuck with probably 5+lbs of paraffin :(

Here are a few snapshots of my creations so far this morning:

615534_3668298506064_915280937_o.jpg Peppermint Kiss. Smells like a a hershey's chocolate kiss with peppermint, but heavy on the peppermint.

277270_3668297986051_842733180_o.jpg Cinnamon and Balsm. Smells wonderful! Don't mind the fingerprint! :)

306526_3668296426012_441947766_n.jpg 1lb of soy makes 6 tarts :) Good to know!

Really nice smooth tops!

(sigh) I miss mine looking like that. They've done something to my wax ( regardless of what IGI says, there's quite a few of us that have gotten that wax from many different supplies and they've all started acting wonky)

Must be beginners luck because I don't really do anything special besides heat the wax, add color and FO, cool slightly down to low end of the pour temp range, pour until full, then enjoy the smell! :-/

So, during my recovery from wisdom teeth surgery, I decided to try to make more tarts with a smaller pot. One of my coworkers makes candles too so she is letting me borrow her 1lb pour pot. In my testing I have found that I'm not a huge fan of the paraffin blended with soy. Can't put my finger on it but there's something different. I've tried several combo's of blends like 50/50 soy to paraffin, 60/40 both directions, etc. The 50/50 seems to be the best of the blends, but I like how the ecosoya Pillar blend comes out. So I'm stuck with probably 5+lbs of paraffin :(

Here are a few snapshots of my creations so far this morning:

615534_3668298506064_915280937_o.jpg Peppermint Kiss. Smells like a a hershey's chocolate kiss with peppermint, but heavy on the peppermint.

277270_3668297986051_842733180_o.jpg Cinnamon and Balsm. Smells wonderful! Don't mind the fingerprint! :)

306526_3668296426012_441947766_n.jpg 1lb of soy makes 6 tarts :) Good to know!

You are doing an awesome job! I love making candles and melts! If you want to get rid of your paraffin I will buy it from you! I am in need of some. Just private message me if you are interested. :) Keep up the great work!