Water Crystals question?

yoyo

I don't make candles so I'm kinda fishing here but do the water crystals hold their scent very long? I am assuming it depends on the fo you use but can anyone tell me approx. Is there something else besides candles that would hold the scent longer? I know most of you are experts in this type of thing and I am looking to make something extra as a add on for all the shows we have coming up.

Thanks for your time.

I think the OP means the crystals used in smelly jellies. You can find them at garden centers - some of us use them in neck coolers during hotter months.

To answer the original question, I never found them to be all that great as air fresheners. They were a neat little fad for a while. The air has to be moving over them to release any scent to the surrounding area. Most 'recipes' I used to read required some form of alcohol to help evaporate the scent. Without preservation (another use for the alcohol) they can grow funky molds.

Why not look into reed diffusers? They're still pretty popular and work much better than the crystals.

I didn't really want to piggy back on this question as it isn't exactly fair to the original poster...so I hope he/she doesn't mind...

My question is this; have any of you ever ground the water crystal into a powder prior to using with water and fragrance? I'm wondering what consistency it would create and if it would work better as a air freshener this way? Something has me thinking that If I were to grind these water crystals into a fine powder they'd make a gelatinous sheet which due to a wide surface area would warrant more smell. Just wonder'n.

If anything it's be an interesting experiment if I had some crystals, which I do not! LOL.

I'm just wondering how they'd do when ground into a powder. If they would hold together as a solid sheet or be tiny little jelly granules?

The kinds I have would stay separate as tiny little spongy granules. There's nothing to bind them into a jelly mass. They swell considerably to 300 times their dry state size.

I don't really see a benefit to pulverizing them - can't imagine it would increase throw at all.

The kinds I have would stay separate as tiny little spongy granules. There's nothing to bind them into a jelly mass. They swell considerably to 300 times their dry state size.

I don't really see a benefit to pulverizing them - can't imagine it would increase throw at all.

I was thinking they'd gel into a solid "Jello" like mass but your probably right. I suspect they'd stay small little rubberized granules. I wonder if one could use a gelatin or a vegan gelatin like agar-agar. Though personally; I don't see this or anything else, including the water crystals working well with fragrance oil and scent throw.

Of the tests I've done a few years back I didn't think they worked well enough.