Suppliers?

e911

Depending on where you live- check shipping rates

CS is much cheaper for me than Peak so I get my wax from CS and order fragrances from peak.... As far as wax for soy melts you will definitely want the PB and then you can mix some container wax in there of you want but you may be happy with just straight PB- everyone uses different ratios and blends but that is where your "testing" and "experimenting" is going to come into play

I think I can safely say also that this won't be cheaper than buying Yankee- ask me how I know! LOL BUT it is much more fun and rewarding to burn your OWN!

I use a ratio of 60% PB and 40% container and I don't have a specific one I use yet- I am still deciding which one I like best- I have used 464 - 135- 415 and Excel

I also recommend for what little money they are and are so much easier to work with- a presto pot from Walmart or meijer- so worth the $$!

Good luck and happy pouring!

SHHHHHH!! DONT TELL ME ITS NOT GONNA BE CHEAPER!! I refuse to believe it! hahaha! :) The companies that struck me as being above average for service and quality are:

Peak

Lonestar

Candle Science

Candlewic

Wholesale supplies plus

So hopefully one of them will be cheaper on shipping to Indiana. So much to learn about mixing waxes! Will give me a good project over the winter I suppose :) But I guess I don't understand why some advertise a tart/votive blend yet it seems to be just a standard wax (or am I missing something here?)

Thanks for the help so far everyone! I am grateful!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so I poked around on Peak and came up with this shopping list. I want to start out with a small batch to try my hand at this and try to get the basics under my belt before spending a large amount of money on wax. One thing I don't understand is all of the different waxes. Some make sense others not so much :(:confused:

So here is my shopping list:

1 bottle of Cinnamon & Balsam FO - 2.50

12 Tart Molds - 7.80

2lb sample of GW464 - 4.50

4lb pouring pot (for later use) - 8.99

1 glass top scale w/TARE feature - 34.95

1 metal themometer - 6.28

Grand total: 65.02 before shipping/handling.

Am i missing anything?

You can get a scale with a tare feature cheaper at Walmart. If you use soy, not all the Peak's FOs will throw in soy, but all the Candle Science FO's will throw in soy. You can ask Peak's customer service which of their FO's throw in soy, and there's also a sticky list in the Fragrance or Veggie Wax section of the forum that has the suppliers and which of their FO's will throw in soy.

Peak's and Candle Science are my two main suppliers, I also purchase soaping supplies from Natures Garden in Ohio and Moonworks Fragrances.

I usually order once a month from Peaks and Candle Science, so I can say either one is a fabulous supplier. The Cinnamon and Balsam is a good FO and I really like it.

If you are going to order a 2 pound sample of wax, you may as well order at least two 1 ounce samples of fragrance. Usually most fragrances work at a pound of wax to 1 ounce fragrance ratio. Some you can use less, some need more, up to the point that your wax won't hold it anymore.

I don't know about soy waxes, but if you read more you will learn the "eco friendly soy" game is quite the lie. It takes a whole lot of petroleum to get that soy to grow and then to process it with chemicals to get the oil out. Paraffin or Soy is a personal choice, both have ups and downs. The soy industry has really kicked the paraffin industry with negative marketing. Do your research and make your choice, there is a world out there for everyone. :)

Good Luck and welcome, it's an addicting way of life.

SHHHHHH!! DONT TELL ME ITS NOT GONNA BE CHEAPER!! I refuse to believe it! hahaha! :) The companies that struck me as being above average for service and quality are:

Peak

Lonestar

Candle Science

Candlewic

Wholesale supplies plus

So hopefully one of them will be cheaper on shipping to Indiana. So much to learn about mixing waxes! Will give me a good project over the winter I suppose :) But I guess I don't understand why some advertise a tart/votive blend yet it seems to be just a standard wax (or am I missing something here?)

Thanks for the help so far everyone! I am grateful!

For FOs, Nature's Garden is excellent on cost for shipping to Indiana.

I used to get my soy wax at Bluegrass in Indy before they closed, so now it's usually Candlescience. I would forget Lonestar for wax; it's too far. I would forget WSP- you can do a search for them here & figure out why, lol.

Beth CC sells a soy wax. Shipping would be less to you I would think. I have some extra if you'd like to try. Not that you don't have enough testing to do, LOL!

For FOs, Nature's Garden is excellent on cost for shipping to Indiana.

I used to get my soy wax at Bluegrass in Indy before they closed, so now it's usually Candlescience. I would forget Lonestar for wax; it's too far. I would forget WSP- you can do a search for them here & figure out why, lol.

I absolutely LOVE Peaks and have found their oils work wonderful in EL Container soy. Yesterday morning I ordered mason jars and a couple of FO's I'm running short on... yesterday afternoon I received confirmation my order had shipped. Peaks offers superb customer service and have find their pricing competitive and many times, less than other suppliers for the products I use.

I would order a few more samples of FO, because you will want to try more than one scent. It is addicting, so watch out!!!!!

Also a lot of companies have a sale on their samples from time to time, get on their email list and they will let you know the sales.

Have fun!!!

WSP offers free shipping, but prices are extremely high to make up for it.

So true but remember that one deal we got on wax? It was on sale plus the free shipping (or shipping included) it was quite a deal. I've ordered butters from there too on sale and saved. Otherwise, their prices are crazy high.

Oh, you sound so much like me a few months back!

I was going to settle on one supplier, keep my costs and supplies reasonable. I started with this and a bag of wax and a handful of 1 ounce oils:

post-14519-139458503124_thumb.jpg

Now part of my supplies (molds, cookie sheets and such) are still in the kitchen and I built this for my guestroom. Wax in bins on bottom, Oils on second row from bottom and bags, labels and such next shelf up and my presto pot like the partridge in the pear tree.

post-14519-139458503135_thumb.jpg

AND! Just like you, I do not sell or do this as a business. I am a hobbyist who thought it would be fun to make what I was buying from Y@nkee and Sc@ntsy!

Do not say that you have not been warned by me and others! haha! It is fun, can be frustrating as your land on your own system but it is rewarding.

Since I am newer like you, I'd be happy to help share my pitfalls, successes and such. Ask anytime.

Being in Indiana I think shipping is going to be cheaper for you at CS for your heavier items (wax and even jars) I am in Michigan and its a huge difference for me between the 2- I have yet to find better rates- peaks is an awesome supplier but so is CS- I always get my stuff in 2 days - peaks about 4 - difference being peaks is in colarado and CS is in NC and Every FO from CS has worked for me in soy

But add it to your cart and see- depends on where it's going - I wish peaks was closer- and there is alot of suppliers closer to me but shipping from them makes everything so much more expensive- which makes no sense at all!

Some peaks FO that work great for me in soy are

- red currant

- Amish harvest

- downy fresh

- spiced pear

- sage and lemongrass

- lemon pound cake

- black canyon

- sunflower

- winter wonderland

- purely peppermint

- red clove

- Paris twilight

- stargazer lily

- tall grass

Yep, Peak's is an A+ Supplier. I've never had one issue with them. If you're going to make tarts, stick with the 1 oz. A one ounce bottle will make about 3 or 4 clamshells. (Peaks has those too). I'd be really tired of a scent after that many! The only duds i found were Peaks mulberry and cinnaberry.

Yep, Peak's is an A+ Supplier. I've never had one issue with them. If you're going to make tarts, stick with the 1 oz. A one ounce bottle will make about 3 or 4 clamshells. (Peaks has those too). I'd be really tired of a scent after that many! The only duds i found were Peaks mulberry and cinnaberry.

Peak just sent me a coupon for 25% off shipping.... Sooooo I guess I know where I'm getting my stuff this weekend! HA! :)

Well hamburgers. It looks like the Ecosoya isn't that great. With the coupon I got from peak, their shipping is going to be super cheap for me compared to some other places. I just checked candle science and their shipping for 10lbs is more than peak's without the coupon.

Really wanted to use soy, but it appears I may have to use paraffin :-/

I am confused.

Both of those suppliers sell quite an assortment of BOTH soy and paraffin.

I am wanting to do just a 100% soy based candle but after searching here, it looks like everyone has to mix paraffin in with the soy to get a good mix to make tarts.

In my testing so far I've found 415 from Golden Brands has the best HT.

20LBs will just be the beginning if you're anything like me & my testing.

I guess my only question is how well do these hold up as tarts? Is it too soft? I got most of my order ready for peak since I have that discount coupon for the shipping. It's going to be the cheapest place to get me started. The only thing Im not getting from them is the scale and themometer. Im going to try and get those here locally.

Haven't used PB yet. I use what I think is the softest paraffin wax 4627@50% to a paraffin pillar blend 4625@50% They work very well & pop out of clamshells & container cups. 4627 is almost as soft as vaseline. Type into the search field up in the right hand corner: Ecosoya pillar blend + tarts or words similar & some threads should come up with better answers then I can give. I believe SuzyK makes EPB tarts.

Haven't used PB yet. I use what I think is the softest paraffin wax 4627@50% to a paraffin pillar blend 4625@50% They work very well & pop out of clamshells & container cups. 4627 is almost as soft as vaseline. Type into the search field up in the right hand corner: Ecosoya pillar blend + tarts or words similar & some threads should come up with better answers then I can give. I believe SuzyK makes EPB tarts.

Ok so i found a thread where someone used Ecosoya PB with some 4630 and got excellent scent throw and it wasnt as brittle. So i guess thats what im going to do. 10lbs each of ecosoya pillar blend and 10lbs of 4630 with a scent sample pack from peak (10 different scents), my pouring pitcher, red and green liquid dyes, and 50 clam shells. hopefully this is enough to get me started except for the locally sourced items.

Don't want to make things confusing for you, but did you look at Peak's kits? They are a good deal, the container kit includes 4630, 4 fragrances 2 oz each I believe, a pouring pitcher, thermometer, wicks, dye chips and tins- it's what I used to get started and was a good value. You'll still need to find a scale, and also get soy wax as it appears that it what you want to work with.... just a thought.... :)