What next?

Buttsmom

How about a lotion bar? They're pretty simple from scratch. With Winter fast approaching they'll not go to waste!

Or a whipped (or unwhipped) shea butter/mango butter/ {insert favorite butter} here....

They all sound interesting. Do you have any favorite recipes you would be willing to share?

They all sound interesting. Do you have any favorite recipes you would be willing to share?

There are some really, really good recipes in the B&B section of the forum.

Kimberly's Whipped Shea is a good one, there are lotion bar recipes there too, sugar scrubs both emulsified and not. The sugar scrub that is made into cubes (can't think of actual name of it off top of my head) is great and none are at all hard to make.

HTH and have fun

I've been doing a lot of reading on lotion bars(among other things) and I think that is what I'll try next. This is what I have come up with from the different posts I read and would like some feedback on it.

2 oz. White Beeswax Pastilles

1 oz. Shea Butter

1 oz. Mango Butter

2 oz. Castor Oil

.5 oz FO

.5 oz Vit E

2 tea. Cornstarch

Would also appreciate any ideas on best containers to use.

I've been doing a lot of reading on lotion bars(among other things) and I think that is what I'll try next. This is what I have come up with from the different posts I read and would like some feedback on it.

1 oz. Shea Butter

1 oz. Mango Butter

2 oz. Castor Oil

.5 oz FO

.5 oz Vit E

2 tea. Cornstarch

Hey Michelle.....I used white twist up deodorant tubes for my own use and clear twist up tubes to give as gifts. Many also pour them into molds such as round, flower shapes, etc., to rub on the skin and store in tin containers.

It sounds good to me but I am not nearly experienced as many others on the forum. Maybe someone else will chime in. Another option to cut the greasies (if you want them less so) is to add IPM or Cyclo if you don't like the cornstarch.

Hey Michelle.....I used white twist up deodorant tubes for my own use and clear twist up tubes to give as gifts. Many also pour them into molds such as round, flower shapes, etc., to rub on the skin and store in tin containers.

It sounds good to me but I am not nearly experienced as many others on the forum. Maybe someone else will chime in. Another option to cut the greasies (if you want them less so) is to add IPM or Cyclo if you don't like the cornstarch.

Thanks, where do you get your tubes at?

1 oz. Shea Butter

1 oz. Mango Butter

2 oz. Castor Oil

.5 oz FO

.5 oz Vit E

2 tea. Cornstarch

Here's your formulation in %

beeswax 2 29% shea 1 14% mango 1 14% castor 2 29% fragrance 0.5 7% REDUCE

vit e 0.5 7% ReDUCE

corn starch

7 oz

Depending on the texture you're looking for, you may need a brittle oil or two (such as cocoa butter or palm kernel oil). My initial thought on this mix is it will be kind of soft - more like a lip balm consistency. The oil choices are a little heavy which may make your product feel sticky. Your skin may love that though, so try it before changing anything. You will learn a lot from your early experiments. Take good notes.

The Fragrance is much too high at 7%. Typically 1-3% is more than enough. Most skin safe FO's have a skin use limit for leave-on products at or far below 5%

At 7% That's a lot of Vitamin E too. Generally it's added at .5-1% as an anti-oxidant.

Your batch will make 7 oz. Seems like a pretty big batch size for an experiment. What I do is make 100gram batches to start. Each percent is a gram. 100 grams isn't too much to lose if you really dislike the final product.

Make a quick list of your oils for your recipe/formula, then write how many grams of each to use. When the total adds to 100, you're in good shape!

A suggestion, start with the baseline of 1/3 hard oils&butters, 1/3 oils and 1/3 wax (bees, candellila, skin safe soy - not just any candle was) etc.) Switch oils out one at a time as you experiment so you can find oils and butters you love. Sunflower oil is much lighter than Castor for instance, and readily available. At the beginning I tried all of my oils and butters 'neat' on a patch of my skin to find what I liked. As mentioned in another reply, esters like IPM can decrease the greasy feel.

So..... decrease the FO and Vite E, then make a batch. You can mold them in silicone cupcake molds as you play. I wouldn't mess with buying more tubes until you have your formulation down. You're playing at this stage. Save your $$ for ingredients. =)

The Fragrance is much too high at 7%. Typically 1-3% is more than enough. Most skin safe FO's have a skin use limit for leave-on products at or far below 5%

At 7% That's a lot of Vitamin E too. Generally it's added at .5-1% as an anti-oxidant.

Your batch will make 7 oz. Seems like a pretty big batch size for an experiment. What I do is make 100gram batches to start. Each percent is a gram. 100 grams isn't too much to lose if you really dislike the final product.

I'm not sure what is going on but I'm seeing FO at .5 %, Vit E at .5%.

Here is one supplier of deodorant and clear twist up tubes.

http://www.elementsbathandbody.com/DeodorantTubes-c-197.html

Thanks for your very thorough reply. I like the idea of a smaller batch for testing and will try that. I will adjust the FO's and Vit E to the correct % of the batch size I end up making. (It was early this morning and I wasn't calculating right before work) I'm working on putting a shopping cart together right now, what would be a couple good oils to try?

And thanks for the tip on the containers, that was my plan to make them in little molds to try out first, but figured I would get ideas for containers later if it works out so I don't have to come back and perter you all again.

I'm not sure what is going on but I'm seeing FO at .5 %, Vit E at .5%.

THe OP listed everything in oz except the corn starch which was in teaspoons.

Original Calculations based on OP's sample formula.

Ingredient oz. %

beeswax 2 29%

shea 1 14%

mango 1 14%

castor 2 29%

fragrance 0.5 7%

vit e 0.5 7%

Total 7 oz 100%