Shipping

LynnS

I have no problem shipping to certain areas.Candles tarts etc arrive fine.Like MO and North Carolina Fla. BUT if I mail to NY, ME, Ct, or Pa forget it. Something always breaks.Doesn't make sense to me.Something with these PO's????? Just puzzling.

Do any of you have candles tarts etc break??? I really pack good and label Fragile everywhere on the box.And the post office Stamps Fragile.

LynnS

You know, I've heard stories of certain carriers that will purposefully throw boxes around if they see 'fragile'. I can imagine this is only certain workers (disgruntled I'm sure). I'd be purely speculating if I tried to answer your question.

I haven't noticed any breakage to the states you've noted, but I'm sure there are different factors since mine originate from another state. You don't mention what packing materials you use, but since breakage is concentrated in certain areas, I'm not sure what to say other than to try a different packing method when you know you're shipping to those states. BOL!

I had some candles break to California, so what I've started doing is wrapping the ones that are more fragile (think stuff like taper candles, things like that) in little paper bags, usually in pairs or sets, depending on how big they are. Glassware has the same type thing, but it's foam wrapped first, then paper bagged, then put in a box with packing peanuts surrounding it and not movable when it's shaken. Might be overkill, but I've yet to have anything break since using those methods. Also, I don't put fragile on mine.

I had some candles break to California, so what I've started doing is wrapping the ones that are more fragile (think stuff like taper candles, things like that) in little paper bags, usually in pairs or sets, depending on how big they are. Glassware has the same type thing, but it's foam wrapped first, then paper bagged, then put in a box with packing peanuts surrounding it and not movable when it's shaken. Might be overkill, but I've yet to have anything break since using those methods. Also, I don't put fragile on mine.

How many inches thick is the layer of packing peanuts between the glass jar and the sides of the box? I'm wondering how to pack and ship pint mason jars so they won't break, and I remember reading somewhere that the packing peanuts need to be 3" deep, is that true?

Marking them fragile does no good, most people don't care and the machines that sort the packages can't read that. Your package can end up at the bottom of a pile of 100's of other packages and you never know when the package that ends up on top of it can weigh 70lbs. You can never over do packing materials around your items and tape the heck out of the box, it adds to it's strength.

How many inches thick is the layer of packing peanuts between the glass jar and the sides of the box? I'm wondering how to pack and ship pint mason jars so they won't break, and I remember reading somewhere that the packing peanuts need to be 3" deep, is that true?

For me, it's very rare that I just ship a glass jar. If you do them singly, wrap in a couple layers of bubble wrap or good and thick with foam, then a minimum of 1 inch on bottom and at least 2 inches on each side. If you're doing multiples, get one of the "egg crate" type boxes (they have the dividers), or make your own, and still pack with crush areas in mind. And make sure your boxes are sturdy. I've seen some really crappy boxes used in shipping, and they don't survive well.