I keep reading how terribly messy 4627 is. Do/did you find it messier than 4630?

Are you telling us you live close to a wax & FOs supplier?:shocked2: Guess I'd better read the previous posts and see for myself, lol And now you'll be buying new shelves to further your addiction?? That is a bad sign, you know? You need help; you need someone who'll help you "pace" yourself, pouring so many candles just to try a wax/wick combo is a big no-no. Let me help you, dear; feel free to send me all your test candles, I understand, bwhahaha! Jokes aside, I believe there is nothing wrong with this passion of ours, agree? I look at it this way: I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't gamble, so what's this little piddly vice of mine, huh?

HorsescentS, you said you don't weigh the wax, so pardon my thickness, but how do you manage to end up with 14.7oz. of wax and 1.2 of FO (ok, obviously you weigh the oil, but how do you know you've got 14.8 oz. of wax if you don't weight it? Oh, and I don't dye the candles.... is that going to make a diff with the 4627? Whatcha think? I know it did for TCS wax. Omg, this is so ridiculous, here I am waiting impatiently for the supplier to start answering the phones tomorrow so I can place my order; how pitiful can one get? :laugh2:

Better go re-read your posts, HorsescentS, I must have missed something about weighing the wax - wouldn't be the first time, senile old fart that I am, lol

Ravens, this enabler, um, I mean kind lady (okay, it is horsescents) has helped me find a distributor in my town. Now I will be like a junkie with a local dealer! I better start working out so that I can stuff my SUV with wax and get it home and on shelves all by myself. That way, no one need ask any questions!

I plan to get the 4627 this week! Of course, I'll need to balance that with more slabs of 4625 since I plan to mix them!

This could be dangerous...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HorsescentS, never mind, I got my answer; you leave it melted and then measure the liquid wax. Ok, so you fill up your Presto, but how much wax do you add? Do you put an entire bag in? Will it fit?

:embarasseLook, I'm gulping this coffee down as fast as I can, but as you can probably tell, I'm not wide aawake yet, lol

HorsescentS, you said you don't weigh the wax, so pardon my thickness, but how do you manage to end up with 14.7oz. of wax and 1.2 of FO (ok, obviously you weigh the oil, but how do you know you've got 14.8 oz. of wax if you don't weight it? Oh, and I don't dye the candles.... is that going to make a diff with the 4627? Whatcha think? I know it did for TCS wax. Omg, this is so ridiculous, here I am waiting impatiently for the supplier to start answering the phones tomorrow so I can place my order; how pitiful can one get? :laugh2:

Better go re-read your posts, HorsescentS, I must have missed something about weighing the wax - wouldn't be the first time, senile old fart that I am, lol

Ravens, I don't weigh my wax before putting it in my Presto pot, since I'm only melting one type of wax in there. I just heat up a big metal restaurant spoon in my Presto pot, and then I use the hot spoon to scoop big lumps of 4627 into my Presto.

Meanwhile...I've got my official pour pot heating to about 190 degrees in my electric skillet, dry, no water. Then, when my 4627 is melted and heated to 190 in my Presto, I put my official pour pot on my scale, press Tare to zero it out, and start ladling my melted 4627 out of the Presto and into my pour pot, so I can see that I've got exactly 14.8 oz of wax in there...and if I accidentally put too much wax in, I just ladle a little bit back out of the pour pot and into the Presto.

Then, I put the pour pot back on my electric skillet and bring the temp of the wax back to 185 - 190, then I pour in the 1.2 oz of FO that I've previously weighed into a wax dixie cup, or into a pyrex measuring cup so I can let it sit in the electric skillet to warm up, if I want to warm it up.

So, if I want to make 4 lbs of wax FO mixture in my pour pot, I can just multiply 14.8 oz of wax times 4 and ladle the total weight into my pour pot, and then I just weigh out 1.2 oz times 4 of FO to add to the pour pot.

Edited by HorsescentS

Ravens, I don't like 4627 undyed. The colors come out so rich it's hard not to. It does change my wicking with color.

Are you telling us you live close to a wax & FOs supplier?:shocked2: Guess I'd better read the previous posts and see for myself, lol And now you'll be buying new shelves to further your addiction?? That is a bad sign, you know? You need help; you need someone who'll help you "pace" yourself, pouring so many candles just to try a wax/wick combo is a big no-no. Let me help you, dear; feel free to send me all your test candles, I understand, bwhahaha! Jokes aside, I believe there is nothing wrong with this passion of ours, agree? I look at it this way: I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't gamble, so what's this little piddly vice of mine, huh?

Ravens, I don't like 4627 undyed. The colors come out so rich it's hard not to. It does change my wicking with color.

Ravens, I'm not dying my 4627 right now because I like the shabby chic cottage look of the pint mason with white wax, and also, I don't want to get all confused about wicking 4627 right now. At some point I'll make a dyed line of candles, maybe, and 4627 is great for making really rich, bright, vibrant colors.

Edited by HorsescentS

I use this wax in Status jars, and to me uncolored looks clean, uncluttered and more expensive. Also I think when the candle is lit, it seems to have a better glow. The only thing I can figure about that is maybe the white is reflecting more of the light back up, and colors don't reflect as much. Or maybe it's just my imagination. :D It just seems that uncolored fits more decor and you can't go wrong with it.

That's what I also think, Darbla. I leave my candles uncolored because I don't want to have another variable for wicking, but my main reason is that I think they just look better and will complement with just about any color scheme in a room. I'm aware that color may sell better (visual appeal?) - perhaps it does, but I'll continue to leave them "au naturel", lol

HorsescentS, thank you for you explanation!:smiley2:

I use this wax in Status jars, and to me uncolored looks clean, uncluttered and more expensive. Also I think when the candle is lit, it seems to have a better glow. The only thing I can figure about that is maybe the white is reflecting more of the light back up, and colors don't reflect as much. Or maybe it's just my imagination. :D It just seems that uncolored fits more decor and you can't go wrong with it.
Edited by Ravens

Chandlerwicks! Now I have to go to Sam's! Thanks for the tip. My husband will be really happy to know I am on the hunt for more shelving-especially since he gets the job to put it together!

Ravens-Horsescents informed me that there is a wax distributor in my state. One of their locations is 10 minutes from my office. I'll bet I have wax in my car before the sun sets tomorrow! If they are open tomorrow, that is. I already sent them an email.

Well, I got another shelving unit like my other. Now, remember that I am a hobbyist! I am not a pro with a candle business, so do not laugh. Here is how I set it up. Everything was in bins before but stacked in a guest room. Now, on shelves easy to access. My molds,, pour pots, cookie sheets and making tools (ladle, thermometers, etc.) are in the drawer under my oven.

Bottom shelf is wax, next up is FO, next up is polypro bags, labels, ties and a file of paperwork (receipts and such) and on top, of course is my lone Presto Pot. There are candle jars but those are for sniff jars for the show at my corporation, not for candle making.

Sure cannot wait to get 4627 and hope I can get it on the ground and save the shipping. Will make room on the shelf for that!

Thanks for such good information and detail. I appreciate it very much!

post-14519-139458502411_thumb.jpg

Well, bummer!

Morris Wax does sell to individuals but my location sells by the case only. As a hobbyist, slabs are a better for me. Incidentally, they call 10-25 pounds "samples". I decided to order from them because until I know if I like 4627, I do not really need a 50 pound case. Shipping from their warehouse just 2.5 hours away was more than regular suppliers. So, I will not be testing this wax this week. I will order from Lone Star and start testing hopefully this weekend.

Well, bummer!

Morris Wax does sell to individuals but my location sells by the case only. As a hobbyist, slabs are a better for me. Incidentally, they call 10-25 pounds "samples". I decided to order from them because until I know if I like 4627, I do not really need a 50 pound case. Shipping from their warehouse just 2.5 hours away was more than regular suppliers. So, I will not be testing this wax this week. I will order from Lone Star and start testing hopefully this weekend.

Maybe you can drive to pick up a case and sell the extra 25 lb bag of wax to another candle maker, either in your area or ship it to them.

I just do not know anyone who makes, near me.

I called and left a message for the guy asking if he is sure that he could not sell me a couple of slabs (4794 and 4625) and the 25 pound bag of 4627.

If I have not heard from him by tonight I will order from Lone Star.

Once I know (I thought I did know until I heard about 4627!) which waxes I will land I will be happy to buy by the case. A case will then last me a loooong time!

I was thinking of breaking down and picking up a case of the 4627 (2, 25 lb. bags) but I am down to a slab and a half of 4625 so would need to order that from someone anyway.

Anyone live 1.5 hours or so within the Kansas City area that wants to split some cases of wax???? *crickets*

How much do you need? I live 45 min from KC. I'm testing with this wax right now and not sure yet if I'm going to keep working with it otherwise I would certainly split a 50 lb'er with ya! I'm frustrated with wicking a certain jar right now, so I'm sure I'll be more level headed about this wax in the morning. :)

• 1 year later...

Thanks!

I was going to try to mix it with 4625. I use Wilton silicone molds.

I have (since I am just a hobbyist) just one presto pot. It is the stainless one and I can get 6-8 pounds of wax in it only so will have to spoon this wax in it when I try. Seems I should wait for cooler weather so this may be a winter test for me.

Seems many use 24%-50% to mix. 25 pounds should last me a good while!

Anyone want to sell me a ziploc/gladware container full (if it could be shipped that way at all)? I'd pay nicely for the chance to try it. Ship to zip 64082. Let me know if so.

Thanks again!

You can order samples from Peaks for your testings..  =)