I keep reading how terribly messy 4627 is. Do/did you find it messier than 4630?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About the messiness of 4627, I'll echo what others have said that it is absolute goo. I scoop it out with a large spoon, leave the spoon in the bag and cover it all up with a large plastic bag to keep dust out between uses, and use the spoon to scrape the sides down for any residue at the end. I don't think it's worth fooling with more than that. I thought about holding pieces of the bag with one hand over a bowl, and hitting it with a heat gun in the other hand to melt it off, but I don't think you get enough more off to justify the extra work.

I don't think so either. Also, what if some of the bag melts into the wax like it did with me. What a mess! Still worth it!:rolleyes2

About the messiness of 4627, I'll echo what others have said that it is absolute goo. I scoop it out with a large spoon, leave the spoon in the bag and cover it all up with a large plastic bag to keep dust out between uses, and use the spoon to scrape the sides down for any residue at the end. I don't think it's worth fooling with more than that. I thought about holding pieces of the bag with one hand over a bowl, and hitting it with a heat gun in the other hand to melt it off, but I don't think you get enough more off to justify the extra work.

I don't think so either. Also, what if some of the bag melts into the wax like it did with me. What a mess! Still worth it!:rolleyes2

ChandlerWicks, I'm wondering if your bag melted because your roaster was turned up too high for the bag, maybe a lower temp would work well for just melting the wax and not the bag.

HS, Yep it's fine for just the wax.

JAJC, no worries , bag is thick & the box it comes in is storable.

I didn't word my question very well, trying again: If you turn down the temp on your roaster (or fryer...is it a roaster or a fryer?), and you throw in the whole 25 lb bag of wax, will it melt only the wax and not the plastic bag at the lower temp? especially if there's already wax covering the coils in the bottom of the roaster/fryer?

Yes Ravens, but I use all different FO%. 6% I can't smell very well. Umm glad you changed pics, I kept thinking the other was you! :laugh2:

I'm glad you like the new pic of "me" as the Weeper of the House but goodness, HorsescentS, that was a low blow, thinking the previous one was a pic of me; yikes! :shocked2::laugh2:

You know, I keep reading about the exceptional throw of 4627 and every once in a while I consider giving it a second or third try, but... Have you tried other waxes to compare the throws? Specifically, the 4633 (J 223); currently I mix it with the 4786 for my container candles. Excellent throw, I must admit, but of course still searching for that "perfect" combination that will make you dizzy and make you twich after one whiff; ya know, one whiff and pass out it's so good and strong?

Thanks!

I'm glad you like the new pic of "me" as the Weeper of the House but goodness, HorsescentS, that was a low blow, thinking the previous one was a pic of me; yikes! :shocked2::laugh2:

You know, I keep reading about the exceptional throw of 4627 and every once in a while I consider giving it a second or third try, but... Have you tried other waxes to compare the throws? Specifically, the 4633 (J 223); currently I mix it with the 4786 for my container candles. Excellent throw, I must admit, but of course still searching for that "perfect" combination that will make you dizzy and make you twich after one whiff; ya know, one whiff and pass out it's so good and strong?

Thanks!

Ravens, it wasn't me who SAID they thought that was you, however; I also did think that was you! And I thought the lady in that pic looked very nice. :D

The key to getting an awesome throw from 4627 for me has been: not using too much FO, not overwicking, and also using HTP wicks because they burn hot enough to make a good throw, even with the smaller-sized flame.

Ravens I try everything for that twitch, the CT with 4627 is it. Working on the HT. I'll keep testing until I'm satisfied, I'm not in any hurry.

It was me!!!! I knew whose pic it was, but still kinda jumped each time I saw it. I was thinking "Oh Ravens put a pic of herself" & then realized.

Thanks!

Edited by ChandlerWicks

You naughty girl, ChandlerWicks! Of course you know who it is in that pic, you probably knew right from the start, or at least as soon as you got a closer look! Why would you "jump" every time you saw it? After all, I took the "bad word" out (well, I scribbled over it, lol)

HorsescentS, I agree, she looks "nice" but that's where it ends for me :laugh2:

Ok, I have 5 lbs max of 4627.... wonder if I should give it another shot? Come on, HorsescentS, enable me - so I can blame you when it doesn't pan out, bwhahahaha!

Ravens I try everything for that twitch, the CT with 4627 is it. Working on the HT. I'll keep testing until I'm satisfied, I'm not in any hurry.

It was me!!!! I knew whose pic it was, but still kinda jumped each time I saw it. I was thinking "Oh Ravens put a pic of herself" & then realized.

You naughty girl, ChandlerWicks! Of course you know who it is in that pic, you probably knew right from the start, or at least as soon as you got a closer look! Why would you "jump" every time you saw it? After all, I took the "bad word" out (well, I scribbled over it, lol)

Ok, I have 5 lbs max of 4627.... wonder if I should give it another shot? Come on, HorsescentS, enable me - so I can blame you when it doesn't pan out, bwhahahaha!

Ravens, yes, you should give it another shot! Try a pint Ball mason jar, regular mouth, the one with the meters on it from Hobby Lobby, with a 93 HTP wick, and 1.2 oz of a strong FO, like CS Hazelnut Coffee, to 14.80 oz of 4627. No dye. Heat wax to 185 - 190, add FO, stir thoroughly but not fast enough to release FO into the air for 2 full minutes, you can keep it on the heat while you stir or remove it, I removed it last time. Pour, and this is the key.....DO NOT BURN IT FOR AT LEAST 24 to 48 HOURS, preferably 48. lol I know, I know, paraffin doesn't need to cure and lots of people burn it after 12 hours blah blah blah blah. But, it's a very soft wax and if you test burn it too soon before it's had a chance to really harden up it will either smoke or drown the wick. Also, don't fill that jar up all the way or it'll drown the wick by melting the wax too fast, so just fill it to where the straight side of the jar ends and the curved shoulder begins. :D When you first light it, you might think the flame is a bit small, and maybe you can try leaving the wick a bit longer than 1/4" for the first burn, or not, depending on how you feel about it, but it will adjust. I don't have to trim my wick before burn sessions because even if it's a bit long for the next burn, it will adjust as it goes, and also the curve of the wick makes it shorter.

When I did my 1/2 pint jewel cut jelly jars I used 1.3 oz of FO to 14.7 oz wax, no dye, and either HTP 83 or 73. Also, I twist my wick about 4 full twists so it will spiral around and burn evenly.

Edited by HorsescentS

Thank you for all the tips, HorsescentS!:cheesy2: I too have read about paraffin needing no curing, but I still let them sit for at least 2 days; some may disagree and believe there is no need, but imho it does make a difference for the better.

Will zinc wicks work with the 4627? And, at the risk of sounding like a PITA, do you happen to have a pic of the pint Ball mason jars? Wait, going to see if I can find a pic; I'll post it and then you can tell me if that's the kind you're referring to. brb

HAHA I jumped because I'm losing my mind & I forget.

Yes, give 4627 another shot. If you have an 8oz madison jar & some CD-8s & 10s try those also. 22oz cylindar jar from Libbey, 2 ECO1s 1" apart. Put a lid on the jars & compare the CT to your other waxes.

You're right, the thick bag for 4627 might come from the factory, unless the supplier is the one that cuts the 4627 into 25 lb blocks and then bags it up.

If my memory serves, the 50 lb bag of 4627 contains 2-25# blocks. I have just started testing this wax and mine came in a thick bag. I only ordered the 25# this time around.

http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/products/candlecontainers_libbey-cylinder-jar-22oz.html They are just like the Spa jars at wal-mart.

I'm not familar with the ones in your link.

The Madison jars are very similar to the Glade jars at the grocery store. You could use one of those just to get an idea.

You have the 12oz status jar? Any HTP wicks? I can send you some if you don't.

ChandelerWicks, did you look at the jars (check the link I posted); are those "it"?

Also, I'm not familiar with the Libbey's 22oz. cylindrical jar; got a link? Thanks :grin2:

Edited by ChandlerWicks

Thank you for offering, ChandlerWicks; fortunately I have several HTP wicks and the Status jar is one of the 3 types of jars I use; got plenty in stock.:smiley2:

http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/products/candlecontainers_libbey-cylinder-jar-22oz.html They are just like the Spa jars at wal-mart.

I'm not familar with the ones in your link.

The Madison jars are very similar to the Glade jars at the grocery store. You could use one of those just to get an idea.

You have the 12oz status jar? Any HTP wicks? I can send you some if you don't.

Thank you for all the tips, HorsescentS!:cheesy2: I too have read about paraffin needing no curing, but I still let them sit for at least 2 days; some may disagree and believe there is no need, but imho it does make a difference for the better.

Will zinc wicks work with the 4627? And, at the risk of sounding like a PITA, do you happen to have a pic of the pint Ball mason jars? Wait, going to see if I can find a pic; I'll post it and then you can tell me if that's the kind you're referring to. brb

Ravens, you can use the zincs with 4627, and I know of someone who wicks the 9 oz dodecagon jar with a 60 zinc, using a higher FO load than what I described above, but also they use FOs from LoneStar which probably are not as strong and need a higher FO load. 4627 throws best between 6% and 8% FO load. I've made 9% and 10% FO load candles with 4627 which didn't throw well at all, and caused a lot of wick problems. Finally I read on BCS that it throws best at 6% to 8%. So, I really hope you'll try the HTP wicks in it first so you can see what a difference it makes to use a wick that burns hotter than zincs. You need the extra heat for a good throw in 4627. Also, it's safer because the HTP wicks are self trimming, so you don't have to worry about a big dangerous flame shattering the jar when the customers don't trim the wicks.

Edited by HorsescentS

You're welcome, I had actually remembered you use the status'. I'd start with HTP105.

Bells, they now pack the 4627 in 2 separate 25LB bags in a sturdy box.

Thank you for offering, ChandlerWicks; fortunately I have several HTP wicks and the Status jar is one of the 3 types of jars I use; got plenty in stock.:smiley2: