Hi all! Some newbie questions!

Sorry, I'm sure these are going to be questions that get asked a billion times! I'm a mom of two (an almost 4 year old and an 8 month old) and my hubby is home with a broken ankle, so I don't have as much researching time as I would like! I was able to do a bit so far!

Anyways, I was about to order some supplies. I'm just so torn on wax. I've read that some people feel Paraffin is dangerous, but soy doesn't throw as well. (?) I am strictly interested in making container candles. I am thinking of getting 4627, and also EcoSoy Excel as well to try out. (Plus whatever comes in the kit. I have the Paraffin kit in my cart via a Canadian site, due to the shipping rates. Although I am going to grab some scents from Peak since I hear so many good things!) So anyways, (Sorry for the long winded thread!) :o Would it be ok (or even necessary) to do a 4627-Soy mix? Would this be jar and throw friendly? Any downside to doing this? Does it make sense? (LOL). I am sure that I'll have more of an idea once I get my hands on it all, but I want to make a lump order since Canadian shipping rates start off so high anyways. Might as well make it worth it!

Anything else I should order that won't come in the kit?

Link to Kit

Also, which wicks would be ideal? I understand that Paraffin and Soy would require different wicks. Which would be best for a mix (if I did go that route).

And that ends my 'free time'. Baby's up from nap! DOH!

Thanks Ladies and Gents! ;)

I would: Master one wax before you think about mixing. I use 4627 with HTP wicks, and I love it. Peaks has excellent oils, very strong. Soy is much more difficult to work with and doesn't throw as strong as paraffin in candles, so unless you're totally passionate about soy, I recommend starting with paraffin. Use small jars you can buy locally, because you will make a lot of mistakes and need to be able to run out and buy jars without paying for shipping. Stick to a jar that's easy to wick, like 1/2 pint Ball jelly jars. I like the jewel cut ones best.

Edited by HorsescentS

What she said........... :)

And, in my humble opinion, why mix 4627 and soy? I would try each separately and see what each burns like, with no fragrance or color, just to get a feel for the process. Once you see what a good wick and a bad wick look like you can move on from there.

Also, if you want to mix the two just to have a paraffin soy blend, maybe just by-pass that and buy a pre-made para-soy blend to begin with. 6006 is a great wax, it cuts with a knife, melts easily and takes color and scent well. It can be used with several different wick types with fine turning for each color/fragrance addition.

Starting with jelly jars is a great idea. My first official container candle burns were with one dozen jars. I poured 3 jars with 3 different sized LX wicks, 3 jars with CD wicks, 3 jars with Eco wicks and 3 jars with HTP wicks. Then each day I would choose one kind of wicks, set the jars on the table or computer desk where I was working and burn them and make notes every hour. I made sure in the beginning that each candle was made with the same process, same temperatures etc to make the tests as accurate as possible. My life as a Baker and creating new recipes has given me a leg up as I'm used to breaking things down to the bare bones and building recipes and formulas from the ground up.

I discovered that you can easily use any of these four wicks in 6006, however once color and fragrance was added things did change and I use the various wicks to fine tune each fragrance combo for the best wick.

I'm a Process Person, so this is something that I embrace, but this kind of testing makes some people nuts.

If you just want to "play" with small amounts Peaks also now sells 2 pound samples, so you can buy one pack of sample wicks and several different waxes to see which one jumps out at you. You gotta love your ingredients or you'll just hate the product in the end.

Also, I don't get the whole "Paraffin is dangerous", it's just as natural as the next highly refined, chemically processed product. It's all in the marketing!!! It smells a whole lot better than dried grass wicks and used beef fat!! :)

Also, put that hobbled husband to use!! He can be your official flame tester and protect the kids from the candles, or is it protect the candles from the kids?? :wink2:

Thanks for the awesome advice! I ended up ordering the kit to play with! Plus the wax (minus the soy). I'll play some more once I get a feel for actually making something! I can't wait to play! I really want to play with smells, lol!

Guest OldGlory

Hi QTsmum,

You have some great advice already.

I can offer some thoughts on waxes. Mind you, I have not read everything that's been written on the differences in waxes, but I have an opinion or two, based on personal experience!

I love, love, LOVE soy waxes. I've used several over the last dozen or so years, and I currently use 464, mostly because my wholesale clients have asked me for it, but I also prefer it for personal use. It's not without it's problems: frosting can be an issue, particularly with spicy fragrances (like Apple Jack, Pumpkin Pie, Cinnamon, etc) and sometimes I have to touch up the tops for a smooth appearance. Also, after burning a while the tops are sort of pitted, not smooth. There are all things my clients and I find to be acceptable compromises.

What I love about the soy waxes I've used are both the cold and hot scent throw at 1 oz FO to 1 lb wax ratio, it is a renewable resource (it grows and replenishes itself), it is generally pretty easy to clean up, and I love that it is flaked and so easy to scoop out of the box.

I also use 6006, the paraffin and soy blend for some applications. It really makes a beautiful jar candle. Most of my FOs are good at 1 oz to 1 lb ratio, but I have found more FOs that I use don't throw as well in the 6006 as in the 464.

Every FO is different in it's relationship to the wax, so testing is imperative. Test every FO in different waxes you consider using, and the same goes with the wicks. Lots of possible different combinations there, but one usually stands out as a winner. I love Premier wicks in the 464 wax and I use zinc core wicks in the 6006. I have been told that the premiers will also work in 6006, but I'm of the mind 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.

There's so much to learn! Good luck with your new hobby!